MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-13, 04:58

Default 1942 1.5 ton Stake side Chevrolet

Hi, I'm Tim Hunter and I have restored a 1942 Chevrolet truck.
I have been meaning to introduce myself to the MLU members since I joined over four years ago! better late than never.
The Chevrolet truck I have been working on, according to a previous owner, had been backed into by another truck and as a result the front clip was replaced with that of a smaller Chev. No doubt MLU members will be disappointed that I have chosen to repaint the truck in Civilian colours instead of military and placed civilian park lights on it. It retains the pintle hook and mesh screen on the rear window. I will try to attach some pictures.
I have enjoyed reading your posts, particularly in the Softskin forum and am always amazed at the knowledge of members and their willingness to assist.
Now that I have finished the restoration I have many parts that I would be willing to sell if anyone requires them. I can supply a full list if required.
Best regards, Tim.
Attached Thumbnails
03102010022.jpg   03102010024.jpg   03102010025.jpg   IMGP0417.jpg   IMGP0411.jpg  

Old 02-10-13, 06:41

Love your truck Tim! What a great old girl she is, and well-restored too. I particularly like the steering on that model, as its so light you can almost steer with one finger. Strange that it should have had olive drab paint and a pintle hook, considering the civilian dash and steering wheel.
Old 02-10-13, 08:23

Hi Andrew,
Thanks!, I enjoying getting it out for a drive when I can. I have done quite a few things to it that would not have been military, the gauges are not the original (bought it restored from the US) and the grille was a painted one, not chrome, handles/winders inside were are green "plastic?" covered metal stamping are now the chrome version. I believe that the best way to preserve things is to use them and this truck will be used.
Old 02-10-13, 08:35

Default Cut away fenders- allow desert use of over-sized tyres

One of the items I have which may be of interest to MLU members is a pair of Desert cut away fenders. These are currently on a "bitza" truck I have put together from leftovers and my kids are learning to drive in it. I will attach a picture. The fender have been modified, most likely from new by removing some metal and then rolling the edge over a steel rod to strengthen them. Brackets have also been trimmed and the running board is modified to suit the different profile. I imagine some of the LRDG trucks had similar mods. I can take some close up pictures if anyone is interested.
Tim.
PS
The chassis is from a 1952 Chevrolet RHD Aussie delivered utility, does not quite fit perfectly but the kids love it!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3105.jpg  
Old 02-10-13, 10:58
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Learning to drive

Bet they're really good at wheelspin.

I love those classic lines, we have one still in a shed, a 1946 model, used to belong to the local briquette delivery man in the days when they were used for heating and hot water.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 03-10-13, 01:46

As far as I am aware that type of mudguard was never used on the LRDG trucks. I think it must only occur on Aussie trucks?
Old 05-10-13, 00:43

Hi Tim, congratulations on your choice of vehicle and the restoration. For the number of Chevs around from this era very few have been restored and to see one with the stake sides intact is rare these days.
Although my personal preference would have been to see the truck restored to its original configuration I've got no argument with them being civilianised. After-all, they spent the vast majority of their lives in civvy street.
You're probably correct about the guards being an Australian adaptation Andrew. They were not just cut away, also flared or widened. There was quite a bit of variation.
As regards instruments, very few of the L/L Chevs that came to Australia seem to have had the round military style individual instruments as yours does. Most had the rectangular civilian type cluster as in Tim's truck.
The moulded plastic steering wheel you refer to as being civilian Andrew is also standard in Australia for WW2 Chevs. As mentioned previously, I've never seen one here fitted with the wood rim steering wheel which would not attach to the spindly light duty steering column on our trucks anyway.

David

Last edited by motto; 05-10-13 at 22:01.
Old 06-10-13, 05:48

Thanks David,
Interesting to hear about the variations within countries.