MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 27-05-07, 16:41
Paul Roberts

Default ID on Canadian Sight Telescope

The family went to the Cristie Antique Sale yesterday in Dundas looking for new/old details for the new house. While trolling the booths I came upon a military looking telescope. To cut a short story shorter, I am now in possession of a Telescope, Sighting, No. 37 Mk I(S), which, I believe, is the sighting telescope for a Ram Mk II. The sight was made in Canada and is stamped with the ^ Canada symbol. It was made in 1942 and (and this is the kicker) the reticule inside is marked not only for 6 pdr on the left, but M.G. on the right. Now, I can't think of any other vehicle than a Ram Mk II that would have a 6 pdr & co-ax that would come equipped with a Canadian built sight in 1942, can you? Churchills, Crusaders & Cromwells should have UK built sights, right?

Further markings are:

"R.E.L. ^CANADA"
"1942 4964-C"

If anyone has any specific info on the Ram sights, please let me know.

Paul Roberts
Armor Modeling & Preservation Society
www.amps-armor.org
Old 27-05-07, 22:16
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: ID on Canadian Sight Telescope

The gunners vision device..ie periscope is a Minneapolis Honeywell on the Ram l and is replaced with a ventilator on the Mark ll.........
The sighting telescope is a No. 33 on the Mark l and a No.22 C mark ll on the Ram Mark ll......
The maker of the gun sighting telescope is not given,but is in the same paragraph as the periscope so may also be M-H also,but not certain..

Old 28-05-07, 00:27
Paul Roberts

Default Hmmm, then...

what would need a Canadian sighting telescope with a reticule for 6 pdr and MG? Curious.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?

Paul
Armor Modeling & Preservation Society
www.amps-armor.org
Old 28-05-07, 01:14
carrier mech

The 4964-C is the serial number, which means there would have been at least this many no37 scopes built. Hard to believe they would have built almost 5000 scopes for 1948 (or is it 1949) ram tanks.

Valentine mkVIII to mkX maybe?
Old 29-05-07, 20:24
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Wartime production

Like the CMP trucks, not all the kit made in Canada was for purely Canadian use. I don't know which tank the No. 37 scope fits but it could be any Commonwealth tank which had the six pounder as a main armament (with a coax MG).

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 08-04-09, 08:14
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
The sighting telescope is a No. 33 on the Mark l and a No.22 C mark ll on the Ram Mark ll......
Shocked to read that as the No22 is a 1" tube with no magnification and decidedly short eye relief. In no way does it compare to a proper AFV gunsight, even of WWII vintage.

Must have been a "compromise solution", and hopefully a temporary one!
Old 08-04-09, 12:47
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
Shocked to read that as the No22 is a 1" tube with no magnification and decidedly short eye relief. In no way does it compare to a proper AFV gunsight, even of WWII vintage.

Must have been a "compromise solution", and hopefully a temporary one!
Actually, all marks of the the "Telescope, Sighting No. 22 and 22C had a magnification of 1.9X which, granted, isn't much. I've read that the 22C could also have been used with the 25pdr so the production of this sight wouldn't have been limited to Ram II production numbers. My 22C has a serial number of 9980-C. There are no markings on the focal plane other than "L", "R", and 4 graticules on the horizontal line. I also have the P37 webbing made for the sight to protect the eyepieces when the sight isn't mounted suggesting that it might have been common for the sight to be stored elsewhere than on it's tank, howitzer, or gun. Derek.
Old 08-04-09, 17:30
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default are the "R" and "L"

on the correct sides?

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 08-04-09, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
The gunners vision device..ie periscope is a Minneapolis Honeywell on the Ram l and is replaced with a ventilator on the Mark ll.........
The maker of the gun sighting telescope is not given,but is in the same paragraph as the periscope so may also be M-H also,but not certain..

Strange!

On the site linked below the No 22C sight is listed as being for the 6pdr Anti-tank gun and not for tanks. The No 39 sight is for tanks with the 6 pdr tank gun and the 7.92mm Besa MG. (No39 IIS for the 6pdr Mk III and No39 IV for the 6 pdr Mk V)

My guess is that the Paul is right about the sight No 37 being for the Ram II with the 6pdr and .30 Browning.

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index.p...data&Itemid=61

Last edited by John McGillivray; 08-04-09 at 23:10.
Old 08-04-09, 23:52
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGillivray View Post

My guess is that the Paul is right about the sight No 37 being for the Ram II with the 6pdr and .30 Browning.

Although not an AFV scope, the list is missing the No.32 Mks I, II and III and L1A1 sniping rifle scope!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-04-09, 01:49

Default Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGillivray View Post
Strange!

On the site linked below the No 22C sight is listed as being for the 6pdr Anti-tank gun and not for tanks. The No 39 sight is for tanks with the 6 pdr tank gun and the 7.92mm Besa MG. (No39 IIS for the 6pdr Mk III and No39 IV for the 6 pdr Mk V)

The information that I posted came out of the original Ram Tank maintenance manual under the aux equipment..You can check it out if you like but that is where I got the info..The Ram Mark 2 was,I believe ,fitted for a 6 pounder late in the war ..but not sure..The info may have been printed in the manual for that mod for the Two pound gun..weather the mod actually took place ,I don't know..but the scope info is in the manual..
Old 09-04-09, 13:34
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fitton View Post
on the correct sides?
No, the "L" is to the right of the the vertical stadia and the "R" is to the left. It's kinda like when you're adjusting the front sight of a rifle...you move the sight in the opposite direction you want the POI to move to. Anyone know the reason for location of the "L" and "R"?

Last edited by sapper740; 09-04-09 at 14:33.
Old 11-05-09, 09:31
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
Actually, all marks of the the "Telescope, Sighting No. 22 and 22C had a magnification of 1.9X which, granted, isn't much. I've read that the 22C could also have been used with the 25pdr so the production of this sight wouldn't have been limited to Ram II production numbers. My 22C has a serial number of 9980-C. There are no markings on the focal plane other than "L", "R", and 4 graticules on the horizontal line. I also have the P37 webbing made for the sight to protect the eyepieces when the sight isn't mounted suggesting that it might have been common for the sight to be stored elsewhere than on it's tank, howitzer, or gun. Derek.
Looking through my No.22C MkII, R.E.L., 1942, 6699-C, I can see the slight magnification. It is specified in a manual on using the 25 Pdr. as an AT gun that I have a copy of dated 1942, along with the No.29 sight. The eye relief is about 3" at full field of view. This is the sight that is noted as giving 6 Pdr. gun layers black eyes in North Africa. There doesn't seem to have any any kind of rubber eye cup provided. I assume the reversed R and L on the crosshairs were to help the gunner lead a crossing target by referring to the direction of travel. Presumably the design was an expedient. One wonders why the No.24 sight for the 2 Pdr. was not modified to fit as the guns were practically useless and the No.24 looks much larger and more suitable - it even has a rubber eye cup!
Old 11-09-09, 18:57

Default anyone need one?

Gentlemen,

I have two telescopes that may suit your needs far more than mine, should anyone be interested. They belonged to a friend of mine who has passed, and were amongst his "collection" of odds and ends.

Both are "new" in the box, marked with Telescope, Sighting, No. 22 Mk II REL(C) 1942. The boxes appear to be original as they are marked with that same information, although they do not appear so yellowed as to have been made in 1942 (I could be wrong as they have been stored out of light).

I am located in the Southwest portion of the U.S.A. and can be reached via P.M. or by phone 915-494-1892

-Ron Zerr
Attached Thumbnails
mkII telesope top view.JPG   mkII telesope end.JPG   mkII telesope top closeup.JPG  

Last edited by r_zerr; 14-09-09 at 18:03. Reason: added photographs
Old 01-11-09, 15:44

Default Brithish Commonwealth Scopes..

I ran across this list of scopes and their uses which may help with future identification///

British Sighting Telescopes PDF Print E-mail
Written by David Boyd
Thursday, 01 January 2009 21:18
British Sighting Telescopes

Below is a listing of sighting telescopes used in British tanks and Artillery, the list is probably not complete as there are so many variants were there is little or no data available.

Telescope

Used by

Magnification

Field of View (degrees)

Notes

No.22

25/18pdr

Can be used on 2pdr

No.22C Mk I/II

Early 6pdr Anti-Tank Guns

Can be used on 25pdr

No.22C Mk III

Later 6pdr Anti-Tank Guns

No.24B

2pdr Anti-Tank Gun

No.29

25pdr Howitzer

No.30

Tanks with 2pdr, 15mm or 3" How + machine gun

No.31

3" Howitzer in A.22 Hull

No.33

As No.30

Simplified edition of No.30

No.30 Mk IIS

Tanks with 2pdr + 7.92mm Besa

No.30 Mk III

No.30 Mk IV

Tanks with 2pdr + 7.92mm Besa (APCBC markings)

No.34

3" Howitzer in A.22 Hull

No.39 Mk IIS

Tanks with Mk III 6pdr + 7.92mm Besa

No.39 Mk IV

Tanks with Mk V 6pdr + 7.92 Besa

No.41

17pdr Anti-Tank Guns (Early)

No.41 Mk IIS

No.43 x 3 L Mk I

Tanks with 17pdr and .30" Browning

Shermans only

No.43 x 3 Mk I

First 23 Challengers

No.43 x 3 ML Mk III

Challenger, 6x eyepiece provided

No.43 x 3 Ml Mk III/I

Sherman C. 6x eyepiece provided

No.48 x 1.9 Mk I

Tanks with 95mm Howitzer and 7.92mm Besa

For Hull MG

No.48 x 3 L Mk I

Tanks with 95mm Howitzer and 7.92mm Besa

Standard for turret

No.50 x 1.9 Mk IS

Hull MG for Tanks with 75mm Mk V

No.50 x 3 L Mk I

Tanks with 75mm Mk V and 7.92mm Besa

No.50 x 3 ML Mk. II

Tanks with 75mm Mk V and 7.92mm Besa

No.51

17pdr Anti-Tank Guns (Later)

Originally No.41 Mk III

No. 54x3 ML Mk I

Tanks with 6pdr Mk V and 7.92mm Besa

No. 54x 1.9 Mk IS

Hull MG for Tanks with 6pdr Mk V

No. 57 x 1.9 Mk I

Tanks with 77mm gun and 7.92 Besa (Comet)

Hull MG

No. 57 x 3 ML Mk I

Tanks with 77mm gun and 7.92 Besa (Comet)

Standard for turret

Sources - 2pdr/6pdr/17pdr/25pdr Handbooks, AVIA 22 456 - 514, Various tank handbooks
Last Updated on Saturday, 03 January 2009 15:05
Old 01-11-09, 15:48

Default Early 6 pounder..

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_zerr View Post
Gentlemen,

I have two telescopes that may suit your needs far more than mine, should anyone be interested. They belonged to a friend of mine who has passed, and were amongst his "collection" of odds and ends.

Both are "new" in the box, marked with Telescope, Sighting, No. 22 Mk II REL(C) 1942. The boxes appear to be original as they are marked with that same information, although they do not appear so yellowed as to have been made in 1942 (I could be wrong as they have been stored out of light).

I am located in the Southwest portion of the U.S.A. and can be reached via P.M. or by phone 915-494-1892

-Ron Zerr
Ron ..
According to the chart I just listed the scopes you have would have been used on the early 6 pounder anti tank..gun..or mounted early 6 pounder gun/..No. 22 Mk II REL(C) 1942.
Old 13-12-09, 20:56
Robert

Default REL No37 Scope on ePay, ends 3hrs. Re-marked to C No39

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNA:US:1123

The insterted "C" designation usually meant a modification proposed by REL and accepted by the military authorities, so I am led to believe.
Old 13-12-09, 21:15

Default #33..Re calibrated to C#39

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNA:US:1123

The insterted "C" designation usually meant a modification proposed by REL and accepted by the military authorities, so I am led to believe.

#33 was used on tanks with the 2 pound gun..the C #39 scope was used on the tanks with the 6 pound gun..This could have been in a Ram tank with a 2 pound gun that was up graded to a 6 Pound gun..the original scope was kept and re calibrated and reused in the same tank with the new 6 pound gun..or some such scenario..
But the scope is just an upgrade from a two pound to a 6 pound gun application..re calibrated and re stamped to signify same..
A true piece of history.