MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-21, 02:24

Default 2021 at the Hammond Barn

Mirror arms.........

Whenever I store my C15a into the sea container, I have to remove the very rigid rear view mirror arms by unbolting them or it will not fit........

So on the first opportunity I had to remove the sheet metal for some other task, I designed the following shortcut.

The mirror arms are held in place by the two bolts that ALSO holds the windshield frame in place. In the original set up of the cab 11/12, the bolts are installed from the outside using captive nuts inside the cowling area that can only be reached if you remove the upper layer of sheet metal...... and then the windshield is very wobbly if the top is not installed as on mine.

The solution is to remove the two captive nuts and cage and install a same size bolt. Make yourself a 1/4 inch thick spacer the same shape/size as the windshield support bracket or trace the outline of the mirror arm foot. Drill two holes undersized and tap for the bolt size into the spacer. Install the bolt from inside the cowling with a lock washer and tighten....... your bolt has to be long enough to go through the windshield frame support and the threaded spacer and still be out long enough to allow the mirror arms to be installed.

See attached photos....... comments/suggestions welcome.

The last two photos shows the next version...... it will allow me to install a flexible mirror similar to what is used on a cab 13 which can be folded in for storage......for truck shows I can revert back to the solid arms which will be sporting true CMP small rectangular mirrors.

Cheers

PS..... the next posting will be on replacing the clutch in a cab 11 .....and all the new words I have added to my vocabulary!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00399.JPGtext.jpg   DSC00401.jpg   DSC00397.JPGtext.jpg   DSC00398.JPGtext.jpg   DSC00402.JPGtext.jpg  

Canada

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 02-01-21 at 09:20. Reason: New sticky thread
Old 02-01-21, 02:42
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
The mirror arms are held in place by the two bolts that ALSO holds the windshield frame in place. In the original set up of the cab 11/12, the bolts are installed from the outside using captive nuts inside the cowling area that can only be reached if you remove the upper layer of sheet metal...... and then the windshield is very wobbly if the top is not installed as on mine.
Harrumph!! Blasphemy!! If it isn't in the Big Book of CMP ephemeral knowledge, it can't be allowed.

But I like your idea Bob. Shipping containers hadn't been invented in WW2, so making things fit into the best imaginable storage makes sense.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 02-01-21, 08:32
MLU Administrator

Default Hanno... can we have a Hammond Barn 2021

Quote:
Thank you Hanno............

The first posting can be moved at your convenience.....
Done.

Happy new year to you and the Hammond Barn Crew! You guys have been running this yearly thread since 2006 - keep up the good work
Old 02-01-21, 17:11

Default Thank you Hanno.

One of my resolution for 2021 is to do more stories on the details and frustrations/challenges...... of the project we do....

Next one will be on clutches......

Then the rebuild of the 2B1 cargo box.....which is now on going.....trying to compete with David Dunlop
Canada
Old 27-05-22, 21:44

Default Need a new series for 2022....... but we SURVIVED.

SURVIVED the latest storm inside the barn with Grant....holing on to the side door that cannot be latched from the inside...... wind was sucking it open then slamming it shut..... everytime it opened I got a bcket ofwater and saw things flying around......apparently just a linear microburst but what a blow job.....House and barn are OK but100s of trees iether uprooted or broken 8 to ten feet off the ground....... those were big fully mature trees cracking awaylike match sticks...... real weird inside the barn in the dark having to listen to the wind and cracking noise. One canvass tempo garage was stripped clean only the pipes left the other one 20 feet away which was a tattered shelter scheduled to come down was not touched......NO CMPs were damaged......

Been surviving with the generator.....power was off for 7 days......

.....but we made it.......

Now have a life time of firewood to pick up

Bob
Canada
Old 28-05-22, 06:55
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
..... real weird inside the barn in the dark having to listen to the wind and cracking noise.
You'll have to advise Grant to change his diet then. Still, probably safer than being outside. Probably.

Glad you got through OK.
Old 28-05-22, 13:36

I will try to improve my diet - but refuse to stop eating.

More seriously, Hammond is rarely (if ever) mentioned in the Ottawa media in spite of only being literally only a couple of km outside the city limits of Ottawa (or about a 45 km drive from central Ottawa).

The attached photos all came from mainstream Ottawa media following the storm. No-one published the photos of toppled trees or broken power poles without other damage - they are just too common.
Attached Thumbnails
hammond-storm-aftermath-1-.jpg   hammond-storm-aftermath-2.jpg   hammond-storm aftermath 3.jpg   sarsfield-steeple-destroyed.jpeg  

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 29-05-22 at 14:10.
Old 29-05-22, 13:55
MLU Administrator

Default Oh my...

Quote:
SURVIVED the latest storm inside the barn with Grant....holing on to the side door that cannot be latched from the inside...... wind was sucking it open then slamming it shut..... everytime it opened I got a bcket ofwater and saw things flying around......apparently just a linear microburst but what a blow job.....House and barn are OK but100s of trees iether uprooted or broken 8 to ten feet off the ground....... those were big fully mature trees cracking awaylike match sticks...... real weird inside the barn in the dark having to listen to the wind and cracking noise. One canvass tempo garage was stripped clean only the pipes left the other one 20 feet away which was a tattered shelter scheduled to come down was not touched......NO CMPs were damaged......

Been surviving with the generator.....power was off for 7 days......

.....but we made it.......

Now have a life time of firewood to pick up
Bob, Grant, you must have "shat seven colors of shit" as we say in Dutch

Glad you came out alright, and you have a story to add this to your fireside stories
Old 29-05-22, 14:00
MLU Administrator

Default new series for 2022

Quote:
Need a new series for 2022....... but we SURVIVED.
Here you go Bob and Grant: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33436
Old 01-06-22, 01:40
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Bob, Grant, you must have "shat seven colors of shit" as we say in Dutch
ROFL . Hanno, what are the actual Dutch words for that phrase? It's certainly one to keep in my lexicon of "colourful" phrases.
Old 01-06-22, 09:36
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
ROFL . Hanno, what are the actual Dutch words for that phrase? It's certainly one to keep in my lexicon of "colourful" phrases.
It there ever was a thread threadjacked...

"I am scared shitless" = "Ik schijt zeven kleuren stront".

Disclaimer: this is not profanity, this is discussing lexicon
Old 01-06-22, 13:43
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
And yes, this is about education of people's reactions. Apparently Hungarian has many similar idiomatic expressions and comparisons.

Joining the thread late, I donated $50 to a riding stable in Navan (ie one town diagonally northwest of Hammond) where our dog breeder kept a saddle horse. The large enclosed arena was knocked down and crumpled by the winds. The donation is a show of support to our friend's friends.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 01-06-22, 13:49
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post

The attached photos all came from mainstream Ottawa media following the storm. No-one published the photos of toppled trees or broken power poles without other damage - they are just too common.
Incidentally, the Catholic church that lost its steeple is in Sarsfield, and my next door neighbour was scheduled to conduct Sunday service there as a relief priest. He showed up and the local leaders said they weren't going to have a service in the damaged building. He is a practical man, and wasn't going to endanger or distract worshippers so soon after the crisis. This is the second time the steeple has blown off.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 01-06-22, 22:59

Default Is it under warranty????

The steeple was damaged in a storm a few years ago and rebuilt..... closer inspection shows the steeple went down nose first...bang into the parking lot.

The break seems to have occurred at a lower level this time since some of the original old dark brown beams are showing on the roof..... the new wood may have been stronger so it broke at a lower point.......

Away from the village.... one house have lost most of the roof shingles BUT the tempo canvass garage in front of the house was not damaged!!!! Some houses have lost the side plastic siding but the roof is OK......

Estimate for my truck repair of some minor damage caused by falling trees.....$5225...... apparently aluminum bodies repairs are billed at 25% more per our and parts are replaced rather than fix.

Now standing inline for a date at the body shop..........

The big job remains for field crops where farmers have to walk recently planted row crops (corn) and manually pick up odd pieces of lumber and sheet metal before the height of the crop hides them..... which could be disastrous and expensive when they harvest with combines......

Some tree plantations have been damaged as if some giant had stepped every 1000 yard huge areas in the middle of standing plantations have been snapped 10 feet high or leaning...... all of which will need clearing up because as they dry they increase the risk of forest fire ...... most where large enough to be harvested as hydro poles.....

A weekend to remember!
Canada