MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 12-11-04, 01:05
Mr. HUP

Default Wanted - 45 Hup Short Rear Axle Shaft

I am looking for a used 45 HUP short axle shaft. I need at least a one foot length that includes the entire length of the splines. The splines must be serviceable condition.

My short shaft has a very artistic twist on the spline end and is very close to failure. I intend to have the donor spline welded onto the existing axle shaft.

Anyone out there with experience with axle shaft welding?

R
Old 12-11-04, 02:13
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Wanted - 45 Hup Short Rear Axle Shaft

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
I am looking for a used 45 HUP short axle shaft. I need at least a one foot length that includes the entire length of the splines. The splines must be serviceable condition.

My short shaft has a very artistic twist on the spline end and is very close to failure. I intend to have the donor spline welded onto the existing axle shaft.

Anyone out there with experience with axle shaft welding?

R
As you can see by the way the spline end is twisted,you will realize there is tremendous stress on that shaft.
Welding axle shafts,in the back ally with a MIG or TIg will lead to failure of the weld..In very short order..Guarenteed..
The problem is alignment..
The only positive way to do it is to friction weld it..Why not have a tough stainless steel spline end machined and have it friction welded to the original shaft??
That would solve your problems..
See this process here...

http://www.teamafw.com/wjournal.htm
Old 12-11-04, 03:39
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default No NO

I agree w/ Alex. Welding a driveshaft is not a good idea.
Are there not any other cmp axles that will fit? I must admit that while being the owner of one, I would have to go look it up myself to see if there are any comparisons.
I do know of at least one HUP wreck which may have a donor axle shaft if you would like me to go check for you. Send me a PM if so, also need to know if there is any difference between years.
Old 12-11-04, 04:29
Mr. HUP

Default 45 HUP Short Axle

Thanks for the input, particularly about friction welding. I will check the local machine shops here in Ottawa to see if they are able to do this procedure. This is one fascinating hobbie, what?

R
Old 12-11-04, 08:01
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default 45 HUP rear axle

The HUP's are a C8 and had the same rear end as the C8AX, didn't they? Axle made by Clark, quite different to other CMP's?
Attached Thumbnails
clark.jpg  
Old 12-11-04, 08:04
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Axle shafts and hub

Despite the obvious difference of 6 stud hubs, the actual design of the hub is different to any other CMP. Would the axles from another CMP interchange?
Attached Thumbnails
6 stud hub.jpg  
Old 12-11-04, 23:34
GM Fox I

Default HUP Axles

HUP axle shafts are different than common CMP 15, 30 and 60 cwts. There was also early and late differentials with higher and lower gear ratios respectively. The axle shafts should be the same though. Rob, I've got a welded HUP shaft here (at the hub end)that apparently worked, though pretty ugly from the outside. Yours if you want it.
Old 13-11-04, 14:26
Mr. HUP

Default Axle Shaft

Bruce,

Sold! Will chat by PM about details. Thanks,

R
Old 18-11-04, 00:03

Default Broke my second HUP axle

Well I've broken my 2nd HUP axle shaft this time the short side. Six years ago pulled up to a stop sign and when I went to move off the engine speeded up but the HUP didn't move. Well a few weeks ago I stopped at the stop sign at the other end of the same road and darned if the same thing didn't happen again, this time the other side. Both times I engaged the front end and drove home.

The first time it was long side and Brian Gought help me digging out a shaft for me and via several friends shipped it south to me.

Now for the good news, I think, I’ve found a source for having axle shafts made $300 for a pair machined up by an outfit that makes race car axles. Guaranteed up to something like 400hp, spent a long time on the phone then e-mailed down drawings. They are pretty sure they can do the short side but their longest stock is two inches short of being able to do the long side.

Will post the results as soon as I get them.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 18-11-04, 04:20
Mr. HUP

Default HUP AXLES

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear about the axle problems - not really looking forward to replacing both sides...but I'm preparing for the worse. I would be very interested in your results with the axle rebuilds. Hopefully the $CAD keeps up its performance agains the greenback!

R
Old 18-11-04, 14:35

Default Source for HUP axle shaft- update

Will keep you posted Richard, e-mailed down drawing yesterday afternoon, already had a response from https://www.moserengineering.com that yes indeed they can make the short side. I'll be shipping the broken shaft to them today.

I will ask that they put the info on file so we can reorder as needed.

Know what you mean about exchange rate my son is in graduate school in London and the dollar has been taking a beating against the pound. (Particularly since the election.)

Cheers
`45 HUP
Old 24-11-04, 01:07

Default Struck Out on New Axles

Just got a call from Mosere Engineering they can’t make the HUP axle after all, they can handle the spines but not the bolt pattern. So I’m back to hunting for a source for axles, I’ll post my results.

So if anybody comes up with two short side HUP axles I need one.
`45 HUP
Old 26-11-04, 04:36

Default Axle rebuild.....

Hi Phil and Rob

Small machine shop in my little hamlet has a special machine... both portable for work site and stationery. It is an automated welding device that resurfaces inside cylinders or outside piston rods for the heavy industry...... once the repeated welded groves are finished he machines a new surface or can cut thread or maybe cut some new splines..... I can enquire..... the technology is probably available in other large cities..... this small shop as acquired a sizeable amount of old machine shop equipment form surplus government assets..... he has a metal lathe that can handle about 48 swing and a 30 foot bed..... cannon barrels anyone???

Years ago when I use to hang out with dragster/builders a company called "Strange Engineering".... just outside Chicago use to make custom axles for local guys..... any size any strength even custom solid carriers.... I beleive they still exists.

Does any one know what old Chev truck civvy axle might fit??

Has any one looked at the M 37 axle shafts for possible replacement?

Hang in there.

Bob C.
PS...Phil ....stop pulling wheelies at stop signs.....
Canada