MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 28-03-08, 22:43

Default lighting requirements for old vehicles

What lights do we need to have on an older vehicle, particularly in Ontario? For example, does my 53 jeep have to have a light for the rear license, or yellow running lights at the front? Does it have to have turn signals? Or do I have just have to restore the lights to original condition?
Old 29-03-08, 02:32

I have always thought that in Ontario a vehicle was only required to meet the regulations of the year it was manufactured. That doesn't mean that a prudent owner/driver might not want to find a way to add updated lighting to the vehicle in a such a way that it can be removed for display, look reasonably close to correct when on the vehicle for driving and greatly improve the conspicuity of the vehicle.
Having said this, I am not an expert in the field, have not studied either the Highway Traffic Act (which can be viewed online) or any of the amplifying regulations.
I think that the federal CMVSS only apply to vehicles as they are manufactured.
We have an a member here, Eric B., who has a much better awareness of these regulations as a result of his "day job" than I am ever likely to have. If we are lucky he will be along shortly to share his knowledge.
Old 08-04-08, 16:59

Default Ontario safety

From my understanding the vehicles are safetied by the year they were manufactured and what was the original eqiupment.

I have left my vehicle stock. It only needs one brake light and two headlights. you do not need marker lights unless manufactured with them. Carry spare bulbs just in case one burns out as there are no marker lights to save one from a ticket. Or do not drive at night or when you need headlights.

Some members have added a licence plate light and i understand this might have been a DND mod in some areas as well.

I took my seatbelts out as they were not manufacture installed and vehicles older than 1970 do not require them unless they came with the vehicle. When i rebuild the jeep i might put them back in as the steel floor will be stonger than the one i have now, following the DND mods of course.

I hope this helps. For insurance tell them it is a CJ5 as they have no listing for a M38A1.

If you plate it as a Historic vehicle you are limited to its use, parades, club events etc. You cannot use it for going to work, the store etc. With regular plate you can do what you wish. Same issues with insurance apply if you insure it as a historic vehicle, plus you might need an appraisal, or regular insurance if adding collision.

Eric

As long as you have brakes, safety brakes, lights, horn, good tires, no rust holes in the body ( i know it is a jeep with no top or sides) windshield wipers and reservoir etc you should not have a problem.

Eric