MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 22-10-07, 04:39

Default Reunion of the 83rd Battery 23rd Field Regiment (Self Propelled)

Well, the hospitality by the veterans of the 83rd Battery 23rd Field Regiment (Self Propelled) was warm and welcoming. I and other veteran's family members were invited to attend the Battery reunion at the James Street Armoury in Hamilton. I am the nephew of Lieut. JRD Cave, who served with this battery from October 1944 through the end of the war until his discharge. Prior to that he was with the31st battery of the 23rd.

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with all of the gentlemen who served with my Uncle and their kind words and recollections about him. I also met Cheryl England (Hi Cheryl) and Herb Danter (Hi Herb). I am sorry I didn't spend much time talking to either of you but the time just flew by didn't it? My regret was there was insufficient time to visit with the gentlemen. After the dinner, I was presented with a notebook of my uncle's containing various information for ranging guns, duties etc. This was a most welcome gift and honour. Thank you!

Here are a few photos of the reunion at the James Street Armory. Cheryl and Herb, if you have any more put them up! Sorry I do not know all the names of the veterans present but sitting second from left is Herb Danter. Sitting second from right is Gordon Mepham, my Uncle's Technical Assistant. Standing 4th from right is Spike Maskell, my Uncle's Technical Assisant prior to Gordon Mepham. Standing far right is Larry Holleran. Standing either side of Spike Maskell are the brothers Robinson...
Attached Images

Last edited by JDCAVE; 22-10-07 at 04:48.
Old 22-10-07, 04:42

Default Spike Maskell (left) with the Robinson Brothers

Spike Maskell (left) with the Robinson Brothers...
Attached Images

Old 22-10-07, 04:44

Default Jim Cave with Spike Maskell and the Robinson Brothers.

Jim Cave with Spike Maskell and the Robinson Brothers.
Attached Images

Old 28-10-07, 16:43
RIP

Default 83rd Battery Reunion

Hello Jim:
It was a pleasure meeting you at the Dinner. and like you I'm sorry that we didn't have time to get around and speak to everyone. In the good old days this Dinner was an evening affair and of course we made a nght of it ending up at the Royal Connaught Hotel to bivouac.(We were in no condition to drive home). I'm sorry Glenn Murphy couldn't make it and again ,in the good old days we usually ended up at his house for a night cap.
Cheryl has some pics, Jim and she will probably be posting them when they are available to her.
Again, it was good meeting you and let's stay in touch.
Cheers & Regards
Herb
Old 06-05-08, 03:52
RIP

Default 83rd Battery Reunion

Hello Jim:
Good to hear from you again. Many Thanks for the letter and the photos.
Hope to see you at the next reunion and we'll certainly make the time to chat with each other, and no doubt Cheryl will want to attend with me.
Cheers for now
Herb