MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 19-03-12, 03:23
Mr. HUP

Default Ramping Up a Glorious Sunday at the Barn

The drive to the Hammond barn took extra time this morning due to a very thick ground fog. It kind of reminded me of the daily drive I used to take from Chezzetcook to Halifax back in the day. You could count on a thick fog on most mornings.

The fog was due to a heat spell we are "suffering" through. Today's high was 24 oC - perhaps a new record. I ain't complaining! The meter of snow and ice on my front (north facing) lawn has gone. We can see grass. At the barn, you could see mud everywhere.

When I eventually got to the barn, I found that the boys had Lucifer going yesterday. The old folks must be suffering from the rheumatism... After making sure that the flames were out, I shut off the circulation fan and went to inspect the shelters. The 45 HUP shelter was dry, but the heat had put a good sweat on the HUP.

While awaiting the arrival of Grant and Bob, got busy with the welder trying to patch up some soda cracker rust damage on the divider wall kick plate. I was so into the welding task, I didn't notice Bob sneaking up on me. His surprising "hello" startled me and I burned a larger hole in the kick plate. It was time to change task anyway. Grant towed my HUP out into the sunshine and in a few minutes the condensation on the truck was gone.

Bob and Grant decided to change the oil on Bob's Ford, so out came the custom made ramp set. Bob's design seemed to work OK, but he soon realized that there could be an improvement on the design - he can fill us in on that. The boys spent the morning together snuggled up under the truck changing the truck's oil and filters.

After a quick tea in Rockland, we headed back to the barn for more fun. Guy arrived just after we returned and made a dramatic entrance with his Argo. He also showed off the railway lamp he converted to modern standards. Unfortunately, I had to get back home at 2 PM to finish up some business work. Hopefully, the boys will chime in with their goings on.

Photos

1 - Ramped up - good ground clearance!
2 - The utility of Bob's design - note that the incline on the right side of the pic has been moved
3 - I think they were having breakfast...
4 - The Argo arrives!
Attached Thumbnails
ramp1.jpg   ramp2.jpg   ramp3.jpg   ramp4.jpg  
Old 20-03-12, 04:09

Default You are welcome any time.....

...make sure you call incase we are out scrounging something somewhere....

Bob
Canada
Old 01-04-12, 22:44
Mr. HUP

Default Back to the Barn

Taxes. Enough to drive you crazy. There possibly couldn't be more a complicated tax system in the world. There. That's off my chest and with them somewhat out of the way, I finally got time for the barn.

This Saturday I headed to Hammond for some iron oxide therapy. On the way I took a picture with my mobile telephone of a field near Sarsfield that was the temporary home for a few thousand Snow and Canada Geese. From a distance it looked like it had snowed on that one field.

At the barn we spent the majority of the day fixing the front pivot shaft of Bob's tractor. It seems that the bushings had worn and this and the lack of grease made steering somewhat sloppy. I helped Bob pull the beast apart and Grant helped with the reassembly and the re-reassembly. The lesson learned was to mark the position and location of the steering actuator and the pivot shaft...

While the boys fretted over the steering, I sorted parts that have been piling up over the winter. I also aired out the shelters and tents to take advantage of the good winds blowing through Hammond. It was sunny and seasonably cool on Saturday, but the wind helped dry up shelters.

After a very nice brunch in Rockland, we wrapped up the tractor fix and I finally found the mirror arm and then reattached the pax side door to the HUP. That marked the end of my day at the barn and I headed back to Ottawa to change the snow tires on my vehicles.

The boys were planning to meet at the barn today (Sunday). I hope they enjoyed the April Fools Day joke that Mother Nature played on us today - it snowed (no fooling!).

Photos:

1 - Geese
2 - Wounded tractor
Attached Thumbnails
goose.JPG   fix trac.jpg  
Old 06-05-12, 19:20
Mr. HUP

Default Barn Report

I thought I would provide an update to the barn thread as things have calmed down around home, at work and with other actitivites. The first activity that Bob, Grant and I were able to come together for was the Sterling Automotive Flea Market on Saturday of this week.

After picking me up, and then fetching Grant, Bob aimed the Ford towards Sterling. We arrived a little later than last year and got to wait in line for about a half hour. We got a very slow tour of the main street in Sterling. The locals must have known we were coming as all of the good looking gals were not to be found.

Once at the grounds, we spent the next five hours strolling the lines of vendors. This year the pickings were sparse. We came away with some gaskets, ignition components and a few metal cans (not POW cans). As usual, one expects to run into other like-minded individuals at these events. This year, I had the good fortune to meet Brian and Mel from the World Famous Chicken Ranch. Bob and Grant had headed for the truck and missed this meeting.

I finally found the boys in the parking lot and we decided it was a good time to head back to Ottawa. On the way home we stopped in to visit Greg Wright of the Wright Stuff Surplus fame. We picked up a few sections of modular tentage, some fire extinguishers and a few more plastic fuel cans (small versions).

After that fun, we high-balled it through Ottawa, deposited Grant, and headed for the east end. Bob slowed down just enough for me to bail out and he headed east as the sun started to set.

There was some activity at the barn today, but the boys will have to fill in those details.

Photos:

1 - Bob and Grant comparing notes
2 - Bob visiting his favourite display booth at Sterling
Attached Thumbnails
bs.jpg   bs2.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 07-05-12 at 22:32.
Old 07-05-12, 22:07
Pieter Bergman

Default Drawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Bob

Last welding project that I used for demonstrating plasma cutting and mig welding was engine test stand, but I've got four of them now so I needed a new demonstration project. Your ram units will make a good practical and useable demonstration because they can be completed in a days demonstration with lots of hands on welding.

Cheers Phil

Phil

Do you have a drawing of the engine stand?? Will soon need one

Pieter Bergman (8th recce)
Old 07-05-12, 22:45
Mr. HUP

Default Two signs of the impending apocalypse

Not too sure how much time we have left before the world ends, but here are two more signs:

The first photo: Ants that eat modular tentage; and
The second photo: Bob and Grant organizing the barn.

The modular center was stored in a shed and a very large colony of ants made their home in the folds of the material. We didn't notice the ants when we picked up the tarps, but when Bob unloaded the truck on Sunday morning the back of the Ford was crawling with the lil buggers. It must have been a tough winter for the ants to attempt to eat that stuff, but they seemed to have survived quite well.

Bob and Grant were looking to gain some more floor space in preparation for Bob's next weird science project - a perfectly level platform for measuring frame deviation...Bob will elaborate. It was a nice surprise to catch them in the act of cleaning up.
Attached Thumbnails
ant.jpg   ant1.jpg  
Old 07-05-12, 22:52

Default Will update the drawings and post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8threcce View Post
Phil

Do you have a drawing of the engine stand?? Will soon need one

Pieter Bergman (8th recce)

Hi Pieter

Have my original plans but really should update them as the stand has now evolved through four that I have made. All basically same but with small improvements.

Base frame of all of them I have built are identical most of the improvements have been for the rear engine mounts to make the stand more adjustable. Next major change will be to improve the instrument panel to make it more rigid, currant one is not strong enough to push the engine stand around (it is just the right height to want to) the radiator support supports are strong enough to push the stand around with no problems.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 09-05-12, 02:57

Default Looks good Phil

....one word of caution....

When building the ramp..... the front separate rectangualr section is a bit short in the flat area...mine was 18 inches plus 2x 2 inch tube cross section for a total of 22 inches........ I would strongly recommend at least 4 preferrably 6 inches longer if you intend to use a 20 inch tire..... because when you remove the back ramp section it is a bit short......

Meanwhile will look forward to the plan or sketch of your engine stand and some explanation of the rear (adjustable ? ) engine support to the bell housing.

I am gradually collectig supplies for my rotisserie.....

Bob
Canada
Old 09-05-12, 23:15

Default Engine Test Stand

Hi Guys

Been working on a new measured drawing of the Engine Test Stand. Will try and finish it this week.

Just to tease here is a little image.

Cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Test Stand.jpg  
`45 HUP
Old 10-05-12, 02:49

Default Hummmmm

What about the optional instrument panel you were going to retro fit....???

I'm going to wait for the Version 2.001 for all the latest debugging....

Thanks Phil

The Barn Gang
Canada
Old 10-05-12, 13:36

Default Very Astute

Hi Bob

You hit the nail on the head, revising the instrument panel based on what I have learned is one of the the things I wanted to refine in the design.

Things like putting all the electrical components and gauges to one side to cut down on accidental short circuits. Along with making the instrument panel supports strong enough that the stand can be pushed around by pushing on it. The radiator supports (2nd generation) is strong enough to easily push the stand around. Being able to remove the instrument panel completely and quickly also makes cleaning of the engine or painting easier.

The general layout also accommodates being able to remove the oil pan or head from the engine while the engine is on the stand.

Your question about the rear engine support is also one of those things that has gone through several generations to reach a version that will easily take either version of the rear engine mounts used on the 216 as well as the later engine mount design of the 235 or 261.

The test stand is also intended to take the Ford V8 though I have not tried putting one of those on it yet.

One of the other things that I have found is that the engine stand also works quite nicely for moving HUP bodies around on the shop floor when used in pairs.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 11-05-12, 02:47

Default If you had ......

.... a spare CMP frame....one beyond restoration..... would you consider cutting out the front section and mounting on a spare traielr axle with small tires.

The frame is ready set to take any Chev 6 cyl.
...........easily supports a rad (CMP or others )
................access all around......
......and all at a nice height to work on....
.......... easy to manoeuvre around on rough ground or move outside the barn.

Don't want to keep all the heavy springs and axle casting....maybe two stub trailer hubs and 12 inch tires.... open in the centre for oil pan access.

I have the spare frame....only the front part is any good. would cut off leaving the T case cross member support. With a large 8 or 10 inch swivel third wheel could be moved by hand on the barn floor...... hitched to the tractor I can easily move it to the back field when not in use.

My main concern is having the engine higher off the ground for the old guys who work in the barn.... yet wide enough not to be tippy.

With the small tires at the 1/3 point from the front it would be easier than bending over the CMP tires.

I like the idea of a removable instrument panel.... for painting as you says but also to ease engine installation and safe storage when the stand is in the back field..... same for the battery tray.....and removable plastic fuel tank from an outboard motor.

Maybe it's time I put all my late night ideas to a practical assembly model.

Still wish you lived closer.... the two of us could be dangerous !!!!!

Bob
Canada
Old 18-05-12, 00:26

Default Update on engine test stand drawings

Hi Guys

The drawings are nearly done along with narrative of what I've learned, should be posting them shortly.

Sorry it is taking this long but I have to choose between working in the shop or sitting in front of the computer. You guessed it the shop is winning.

Bob- Is correct the front section of an old frame makes and excellent test stand. I went the smaller purpose build unit because I'm tight on space to store engines so the test stand bases do double duty for testing engines and for storing engines.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 23-05-12, 02:57
Mr. HUP

Default Hottest Days of the Year - So Far!

Saturday and Sunday were hot days at the barn. The mercury hit plus 30oC on both days, so activities were limited to small party tasks. On Saturday Bob worked on the tractor's power steering, Grant worked on his truck, which is now parked in the front of the barn undergoing its transformation. I decided that Club HUP needed a new roof.

Prior to getting on with the work, we got a visit from Guy Vapeur who was in a very good mood - in fact he had a spring in his step. Guy happened upon a supply of medium tension springs that we may put to use as replacement springs for CMP seats. As well, Guy discussed a Chorehorse discovery he had made. Bob filled in all of the details relating to the mighty Chorehorse. After some small chit-chat, Guy headed back up the road.

The three of us decided it was time to go to lunch. I still get a kick out of the looks on the face of the diners at the Rockland Bistro when the three of us saunter into the restaurant covered in CMP dirt. We tip well, so we are tolerated by the staff.

Back at the barn Grant worked on his drive shafts, while Bob carried on knocking together boxes. I recently got a HLVW (that's how the Canadian Army spells "big truck") tarp from Greg Wright (The Wright Stuff Surplus) that now resides atop of my Quebec garage (AKA Club HUP). That wrapped up the day.

Photos:

1- Grant staying in the shade
2- Grant's truck
3- Guy and Bob discuss Chorehorses and springs
4- HLVW tarp makes a great garage roof
Attached Thumbnails
Clarence-Rockland-20120520-00094.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20120520-00097.jpg   IMG-20120520-00095.jpg   IMG-20120520-00096.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 23-05-12 at 03:11.
Old 23-05-12, 03:23
Mr. HUP

Default Sunny Sunday

Another hot day at the barn. Bob finished up some of his flower boxes and then took the tractor for a ride. Grant did some metal work on is truck's nose, and just for fun, he decided to take out some aggression on a defenceless CMP tire. I decided that the weeds around the shelters and the wagon lines needed taming.

The recent good weather saw the dandelions go nuts. Fields of yellow could be seen around the barn. It was fun knocking them down, but I think a few escaped. While clearing the weeds, I leaned against my 45HUP shelter and was surprised that the side panel of the shelter gave way with little resistance. It had to be replaced. So, a center section of modular tent was laced to the horizontal bars to form a new wall. I think we use this tentage for everything except for the use for which it was designed.

The high humidity and temperature spelled an early finish for me, and I left the boys back at the barn to their tasks. Ottawa temperatures are never "normal". Too cold in the winter, and too damned hot in the summer (and we are not even there yet!!!). At least you don't have to shovel sunshine.

Photos
1 -Grant attacking a tire (making engine mount gaskets)
2 -Bob screwing around
3 -Le Artiste admiring his handiwork
4 - New wall for the 45 HUP shelter
Attached Thumbnails
Clarence-Rockland-20120520-00099.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20120520-00100.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20120520-00101.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20120520-00103.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 23-05-12 at 03:29.
Old 23-05-12, 12:06
Tony Baker

Default 30 Degree temps

Come on guys! When it gets to 30 degrees here it's just delightful. Sometimes goes over 40 in Summer, with himidity that makes even your eyeballs perspire

It's you brand of COLD that we couldn't deal with here in Australia!! Well, not in Queensland anyway.

Old 23-05-12, 17:44
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Bob and Hair!

For a brief minute there I thought Bob had joined the hair club for men... seen from above, that brown ball cap looked like he had sprouted a brand new growth!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 24-05-12, 03:54

Default Silver lining.....

Hey Mike...... under that shitty brown hat is a Silver Lining......

......... and I have more than you.... on my head at least....!!!!

Boob
Canada
Old 28-05-12, 01:05
Mr. HUP

Default AWOL from the Barn

Not much to report from the barn - I didn't make it to Hammond this weekend for various reasons. Bob and Grant will have to fill in any details - particularly concerning Bob's latest science project.

This Sunday I had the distinct pleasure of attending the 2958 Manotick Army Cadet Corps (1st Anti-Tank Regiment, RCA) Annual Review. As usual, Mike Calnan, or as we all know him, Gunner was there supporting the Corps with anti tank guns and other museum artefacts.

The attached photo demonstrates the dress code for drivers at the Swords and Ploughshares Museum. You will notice that Mike is holding onto the truck to prevent tipping over to his left side (note the various counterweights on his chest).

A "BZ" to the Cadet Corps and Gunner for a great show today.
Attached Thumbnails
dress code.jpg  
Old 28-05-12, 19:02
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Dress Code

Annual Review?... and I thought all those people marching about in uniform were there to celebrate my birthday!

It was a great parade and the cadets did a bang up job. Their drill was quite good and none jumped when the 6 pounder minute gun barked out!

Unfortunately, Rob, who commanded the Corps a few years ago, couldn't stick around for the post parade birthday beer (after the cadets were all gone, of course!).

For those who are wondering, our CCKW is painted up as a Royal Canadian Horse Artillery gun tractor in Korea.

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 07-06-12, 01:46
Mr. HUP

Default Science Project

Guess what Bob is up to with this slab of concrete located at the entrance to the barn.

Photos
1 - Slab east end
2 - Slab west end
3 - The boys at work
Attached Thumbnails
slab 1.jpg   slab 2.jpg   boys.jpg  
Old 07-06-12, 02:15

Default There is......

.......someone under the slab!

I can think of 3 or 4 candidates.

Peter S
Old 07-06-12, 03:50

Default sssssHHHHHUUUUUUTTTT......

.... they are still looking for her......

....... I just could not afford the postage to ship her all over the country !!!!!

Or is it an ALTAR.......

.......will be offering sacrifices to the CMP GODS.....

,,,,,, was going to do the whole barn but 8 bags was all I could afford !!!!

It will be the corner stone....pun fully intended.... to sorting out the twist in my frame.

I went to an old guys who assesses cars that have been declared "total wrecks" and later rebuilt for the road. It is a costly deal but if one finds the right damaged car that has been written off and fix it.... he will certify that it has been repaired according to specs and a new registration tag can then be issued for licensing and street use.

I explained the twist in my cab 11 frame..... the fact that the front cross member and middle engine support cross member had been remomved and replaced.....yada yada yadda.....

He told me two things..... I can fix it for you but it will cost you over $1500...... or I can tell you how to do it. Being cheap and loving a challenge ....... I izz gunna do it.

The whole process is 90% labour, 9 % sweat and one percent common sense.

I can always borrow common sense from Rob and Grant,,,,, 0,5 % each should not be toooo much.

I first need a suitable....almost perfectly level surface to work from.......

........ therefore the cement slab wide enough for the front axle.....

Plans are as follows....

Position the frame centred front axle on the slab.

Jack up rear axle on axle stands and level as necessary

Remove the front tires and position the front axle on small/low axle stands perfectly level the stands using sheet metal shim if necessary.

The concrete slab serves as a reference point for all vertical measurements.

Set a level on the frame and record amount of twist
.....left side...pass side from the front is high by 1.5 inches

Measure everything twice and record measurments
....front most frame horn to the floor

....spring to the floor

....axle .... each side to the floor.

Once everything has been measured and photographed.....

Plan "A"
remove spring packs and switch sides

Measure, record, photograph

if changes are positive leave as is.... or reverse if the twist is worst.

Plan "B"
Loosen all the grade 8 bolts to the front cross member and to the mid section engine support cross member..... also remove the bolted floor plates.... may need to loosen engine motor mount bolts as well....

Observe, measure, record and photograph

Plan "B -1 ..... optional to get drunk if it has not partly self corrected by now.

Plan "C"

The old guy says with the weight of the engine tranny it may self correct or at least visibly improve and noticeable in the measurments.

OR..... I may have to impose a reverse twist in the frame and see if by over correcting I can slowly relax the frame to a near level.

It will take time....... and tie up the barn for quite a few weeks/months.

My goal is to get within 1/4 inch level across the front frame horn....

Then I will have a reasonable straight surface to bolt on the sheet metal.

Way back when I took the frame apart for sandblasting and to replace the rusted cross members I did have difficulty getting the new crossmembers back in place..... pry bars were used to line up the bolt holes.

When the bare frame was resting on large saw horse stands there was a noticable twist in the front half part of the frame ...... I assumed wrongly that all the weight of the engine, etc. would bring it down.....dum !!!

Original pictures of the truck BEFORE disassembly showed that it was much more level than now......

So it will be a learning experience to try.... measure....tweak....measure....
swear some...... measure..... tweak some more...... and retighten real fast before the wind shifts.... !!!!!

.... it will keep me out of the local bars for a while.

As usual will post my progress .... or frustrations.

Bob
Canada
Old 12-06-12, 03:27
Mr. HUP

Default Hellishly Hot Day at the Barn

Not much to report - Bob picked up another 216 engine. He can't complain about the going rate for used engines in Hammond! Grant spent Sunday working on the front clip. He installed a new side panel and then wrestled his clip back into reasonable shape by attaching it to a handy body. Bob and Grant used the torches and the hydraulic ram to bring the nose back into true. The HUP got a new door handle. Too hot to work, so we drank some beer. Can't wait for winter...

Photos:

1 - Clip "art" - The Boys mounting the clip prior to bending it back into shape - note newly installed side panel
2 - Hammond's most prominent nose surgeons hard at work
Attached Thumbnails
g clip 1.jpg   g clip.jpg  
Old 12-06-12, 04:03

Default Not much to report...?

The nose job is a bit tricky...

Grant;s truck had been partly converted to left hand drive.... then they quit and we got it home. He did a nice job of filling in a missing side panel with a Mig butt weld...... but he nose has been twisted.....

So we dragged a spare truck..... the parts truck from Port Colborne... and used that as a working platform..... body jack and heat did manage to correct the slight push in on the passenger side.... some more tweaking is still in order. Grant is very meticulous..... it will fit well by the time he is finished.

Got a free 216 and possibly another one from a 54 pickup ..... never say no to a gifted horse..... the guy stored his old Fords in my back field and I get free Chev 6 for rent..... what more can you ask !!!!

...and yes it was warm.... and hotter by the glowing metal on the nose..... so the approriate cold beer was well deserved.....

Rob did a bunch of tack/stiching welding with the Mig....

Managed to spread a M101 trailer full of wood chips in the garden to earn wife miles.... and replaced a ceiling fixture in the computer room that went dead..... before I was asked to do it !!!!

Re-organized some of the content of the canvass Winter shelters.... serviced my Ford before going on vacation next weekend..... will be out of commission for the next 3 weekends..... but Rob and Grant will keep you posted.

...and no rush for Winter...would like to sweat for a while longer !!!

When I return will tackle the twisted frame with passion...

Bob
Canada
Old 13-06-12, 21:43
Pieter Bergman

In the last picture I see you Boys working on the nose, see that the hood is removed.
Just my question, I'm looking for a new hinge on my hood, do you have a good spare or a source for a repro..?

Thanks

Pieter
Old 13-06-12, 21:56

When I got the truck it was in many pieces. The hood is one of the pieces, but I have never installed it so far. Would it help if I photograph the hinge to give an idea of shape and size to help you searching for a modern equivalent?
Old 10-07-12, 05:13

Default Holidays over for this year.....

Back at the barn for some untwisting of steel....!!

Grant has been doing fantastic plastic surgery on the nose of his truck..... replacing panels...... removing years of abuse and twisting of panels.

He worked alone while I was gone so no before, during and after pictures but helped him do a trial fitting on Sunday and was amazed at the corrections he carried out..... the darn things now just falls into place and bolts rigth on.....

Next weekend we tackle my frame.

Took my rolling frame for a ride last SUnday....... last time before I tear into it.... and managed to ride it to the top of the wood chip pile in the back field....but again alone with no pics.....

Wonderful Summer so far.

Bob
Canada
Old 16-07-12, 03:19
Mr. HUP

Default Back to the Barn...Finally!

Today was blistering hot at about +30oC (you Aussies can stop smirking - for us Canucks, the swing from -30oC to +30oC has it effects). Despite the weather, it was a good time for some rust therapy. I spend the morning taking on the weeds that grew in my absence, while Bob spend the best part of the morning in the big field mowing the weeds. The heat and the dust drove him back to the barn in time for lunch.

The hot, sweaty and dirty gang drove to Rockland for lunch at the local bistro- I always get a kick out of the way the locals sneer at us when we saunter in for our repast. Once they get used to the smell, they tend to ignore us. The gals at bistro put up with us as we tip well.

Back at the barn, I convinced Bob to move my pilot model HUP roof over to the door of the barn where I can start working on it. After a careful rigging job, the roof was flown to a set of racks near the front of the barn. There, I surveyed the rust damage. The center portion of the roof skin will have to come off as it has rusted away from the ribs and is quite thin. The good news is that the hand-tooled curved sections are (for the most part) intact. I then started to take out some of the dents along the roof line.

In the meantime, Bob and Grant cleaned out the front of the barn so that Bob could start his science project. In no time at all, Bob backed his truck out of the sea can and into the barn. Grant got back to work on his CMP nose (or front clip). The transformation from the old to the new is quite amazing.

As I was leaving the barn, Grant was setting up for some sandblasting. Bob was preparing to strip down a 60+ year old gal. Stay tuned for updates to the Great Hammond Strip Show.

Photos:

1 - Grant at work
2 - Flying pilot model roof
3 - Setting up the work station
4 - Bob coming out of the closet
5 - Wrapped up until next week
Attached Thumbnails
roof 5.jpg   roof 2.jpg   roof 1.jpg   IMG-20120715-00126.jpg   roof4.jpg  

Old 23-07-12, 02:42
Mr. HUP

Default Hot Times at the Hammond Barn

The mercury hit +30oC early this morning so most of the activities at the barn were completed indoors. Bob continued to agonize over his 3/4 inch deviation to the front frame rail horns. He removed the floor of the cab (with the help of the lovely Joyce) and was in the process of undoing every nut and bolt forward of the transmission. Bob indicated that the rear rails are aligned and the mid section rails are aligned. The easy by-stander's diagnosis: bent frame rail. I am sure that Bob will have an answer soon.

While he was disassembling his ride, I hauled the 45 HUP outside to do some maintenance. I was surprised to find a puddle of eerie green liquid pooled on the tarp underneath the truck. I had a coolant leak. The underside of the water pump was wet, so off came the radiator and the water pump.

The gasket showed some seepage had occured near the top right bolt - the one I use for the alternator adjusting bracket. Apparently I did not tighten the bolt enough when I last removed the alternator. No worries. I fashioning up new gaskets, and after cleaning all mating surfaces, coated the gasket material with a thin coat of silicon sealant. After drying rapidly in the noon day sun, the gaskets were mounted and the water pump put back into place - with snug bolts this time. By the time I got the rad back in place, it was time to go home. The better half worked early this afternoon. No complaints as the air conditioner at home beats the one at the barn any day.

Bob might pipe up with some more news about his tear-down.

Photos:

1 - The scene of the crime
2 - Cleaned up water pump
3 - Fuzzy pic of Bob pondering his next steps
Attached Thumbnails
hot hup 3.jpg   hot hup 2.jpg   level one.jpg