MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-08-07, 14:15

Question British & Commonwealth prewar artillery tractors

Hello!

I'm looking for any info about prewar gun tractors or trucks that were used by the British army and Commonwealth armies for towing medium (60pdr guns, 6 inch howitzers, 3" AA guns) and field artillery (18pdrs guns and 4.5" howitzers) before "Matador" and "Quad" artillery tractors were introduced and adopted as main artillery tractors. In spite of my efforts I have only a desultory info to this subject... What I saw and what I know (briefly).
I've read Canadian medium batteries used 6-wheeled Leyland trucks to tow 60-pounders in the thirties.
This source http://armyapp.dnd.ca/38CBG_ARSD/CD/...RCAHistory.doc says that
Quote:
the first unit to become mechanized was the 3rd Medium Battery, RCA. It was issued four 6-wheeled Leyland tractors in 1929 to tow its 60-pounders. A and B Batteries RCHA Brigade were mechanized in 1930. It wasn’t until 1937 that C Battery parted with its last horses. In 1931, seven field artillery brigades, one medium brigade and one medium battery were placed on the mechanized establishment, but it would be some years before these units would see their equipment.
Australians did use "Thorneycroft" 4x4 tractor (there is some info and photos in different sources).
I've read that Leyland "Terrier" 6x4 trucks were used to tow 3" AA guns (there are some photos in MLU forum).
I saw a prewar photo of Canadian 3" AA gun towed by Ford Marmon-Herrington 6x4 truck (MLU forum).
I also saw a photo of AEC 850 6x6 Artillery Tractor of 15th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery towing 3 inch Anti-Aircraft Gun (MLU forum).
There are some photos of Thornycroft military trucks:

http://www.thornycroft.org.uk/Thorny...0Group%20E.htm
http://www.thornycroft.org.uk/Thorny...y%20Group6.htm

But I never saw a photos of any prewar trucks, towing 6 inch howitzers or 60pdr guns (besides Australians "Thorneycroft" tractors)...

As for 18pdrs and 4.5" howitzers, I just know of British Morris CDSW 6x4, Marmon-Herrington 4x4 trucks that were used by Australians and New Zealanders (there is quite a few info about that).
I've also found a photo of Canadian 6-wheeled Leyland trucks towing 18 pdr guns dated June 1930 (same doc file as mentioned above).
I also saw some prewar photos of South African Ford Marmon-Herrington 6-wheeled trucks that were used for moving of 18pdr Mk4 guns (still with wooden wheels!) by "portee" method (the source is Australian War Memorial, ID Number of photo: 002502, "Gun crews of a South African Artillery unit unload their 18 pounder Mk 4 field gun in preparation for manoeuvres in the veldt area", date: August 1940).
A bit off topic: I was really wondered! Didn't South African artillery see any modernization between the wars? I wonder: what trucks did the South Africans use for towing 60pdrs and 6 inch howitzers?
I also know that British Army used a quantity of light "Dragon" tractors (tracked) for 18 pdr guns. Besides, 12 Dragon Mk.IV medium tractors were ordered as far as I know. These ones were given to one of medium artillery regiments and used for towing 60-pdr guns. In 1939, they were included into the British Expeditionary Force and sent to France where they were seized by Germans.

Any info, links, photos, etc would be appreciated!

Regards
Leonid