MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 30-09-11, 14:05

Default Kettenkrad

Kettenkrad for sale, Europe
Out of my price range, but they are not often available.
http://www.classic-motorbikes.com/NS..._101_FC04.html
Rich.
Old 30-09-11, 23:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
You can go in and edit the spelling of the title (go advanced edit)
Edited to Kettenkrad (which stands for Kettenkraftrad, tracked motor cycle).

Actually quite a few are offered for sale these days (currently two in the motorcycle section on MilWeb). Could it be novelty has worn off? After the movie Saving Private Ryan demand for them went sky high.

H.
Old 01-10-11, 04:06
Armour Owner x 3

Hanno

I think you are only partially correct. The financial crisis has had a lot to do with it, the average person just hasn't got the money to fund such an expensive purchase.
However, one of those KKs is in South Africa, which scares off most people.

Also, lot of KKs that are advertised at big prices actually need lots and lots of work to be road-able and that also scares off knowledgeable buyers.

The demand is still there, if for no other reason than a certain UK millionaire is still actively purchasing them, at latest count he has just bought his 17th KK.
I have no idea why he wants so many.

Richard - you could have sent me a notification about that KK ad? :-(

Regards
Doug
Old 01-10-11, 04:35

My aplogies Doug, I was battling sleep at the time of posting, sounds like I even spelt it wrong! However, I promise not to fail you again....
Rich.
Old 01-10-11, 05:21
Armour Owner x 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
My aplogies Doug, I was battling sleep at the time of posting, sounds like I even spelt it wrong! However, I promise not to fail you again....
Rich.
Richard

Promise noted! ;-)

Hanno

A certain German we both know often says "buying a KK is only the beginning of the cost". Which really can be said of any tracked vehicle that is to be used.
Garden gnomes and gate guards just need a coat of paint every few years as you would be aware.

Regards
Doug
Old 01-10-11, 16:45
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Greville View Post
Hanno

I think you are only partially correct. The financial crisis has had a lot to do with it, the average person just hasn't got the money to fund such an expensive purchase.
However, one of those KKs is in South Africa, which scares off most people.
Doug,

I am sure you know much more about them. But was just making a joke: I was surprised to see the spike in increased interest & prices after it was used in Saving Private Ryan and therefore became "cool".

I have a lingering interest in the Kettenkrad. I find it an interesting, typically German over-engineered piece of equipment. I recall finding one in a barn back in 1984 (1st pic), when it was not for sale. I corresponded a lot with Bart Vanderveen in those days, so he published one of my pictures in Wheels & Tracks magazine (2nd pic). Later, someone managed to buy it for a lot of money and then spend huge amount of resources restoring it to a standard which not many (if any) KK's surpass (3rd pic). I am happy to say it was restored and stayed in Holland, as it was captured by British troops in the Scheldt area in 1944 - it is a piece of our history.

In 2007 I got the chance to drive the one (4th pic) owned by a certain German we both know. As you can see I am simply too tall for this small machine, but I did manage to take it off road and was mightily impressed by its performance.

Hope you are enjoying yours!

Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
Kettenkrad Zeeland 16-11-1984_resized.jpg   WT19_p.18_0008.jpg   Kettenrad (34)_resized.jpg   P8257301_cropped.jpg  
Old 02-10-11, 00:29
Armour Owner x 3

Hanno

> was surprised to see the spike in increased interest & prices after it was
> used in Saving Private Ryan and therefore became "cool".

Having seen the spike in interest in Dalmations, (to a large extent by people who were unsuited to owning them) following the release of the movie "101 Dalmations" it came as no surprise to me. The American desire to call KKs "Rabbits" was however a surprise. It goes to show they believe anything Hollywood serves up to them. Likewise with U-505 and the Enigma machine, the real story is only known to the history buffs.

Re your comment about the German over engineering, you are spot on. It is however those very traits that make their products so appealing and their uniqueness. Being that the closest allied equivalent is a Bren Carrier, we can only compare the 2. I will be VERY surprised if in another 50 years there are many BC still mobile. I will not be surprised if most of the KKs that are mobile today are not still mobile in 2061. The ability to rebuild the tracks for one is a major asset in regard to maintainability of the KK. Likewise the more refined design means the KK does not normally suffer from the BC tendency to eat gearboxes and differentials. However, the modern kids may have zero interest when they get to our age in anything that isn't electronic, self maintaining and voice controlled, so perhaps all our relics will be gathering dust in museums......

> I recall finding one in a barn back in 1984 (1st pic), when it was not for

I think I recognise that vehicle - well as much as it is possible to recognise one yellow KK from the many yellow KKs! If it is the one I think it is, is the owner known by the internet identity "Tarnmilitaria"?
Your revelations about its history are very interesting.

> In 2007 I got the chance to drive the one (4th pic) owned by a certain
> German we both know. As you can see I am simply too tall for this small

Shortening of your upper and lower leg bones by at least 200mm each would cure that problem? ;-)
Apparently the nutrition in the Dutch diet has improved since the war years.
We noted in 1999 and 2000 that we met quite a few Dutchmen at Beltring and only one (Danny B) was shorter than 6'. By the way, any idea what has happened to him and Dennis B?
I would think you would also have trouble putting on the driver's position in a BC? I have a 6'6" Aussie friend who can only do so with great difficulty and can barely drive one by contorting himself and not for very long.

> Hope you are enjoying yours!

I am.
Haven't been driving it much lately as have been building an enclosed transport trailer. Summer weather will mean the opportunity to get it out more. The Greyhound has some jobs that need doing as it hasn't been getting its share of attention due to the KK acquisition and trailer project.

Regards
Doug