MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 09-08-05, 04:19
carrier mech

Default Road wheel seal substitutes

I am at the stage now where I have sandblasted and painted my roadwheels and am starting to repack the bearings. The little cork seals that are supposed to seal the wheels have shrunk over the years, and really aren't an effective sealing solution in the first place. Ever notice how on a hot day your carrier seems to leak melted grease onto your shiny, sandblasted suspension?
Anyway, to make a long story short, I am using a normal seal in place of the cork; Chicago rawhide seal pn 19832. Seems like this is going to work. It does require that the outer spacers on the roadwheels be polished up a bit.
The spacers are a somewhat loose fit on the shaft, and I am hoping that the seal will hold it fairly centered while everything is being tightened.

I am also happy to report that National still makes the origional carrier/cmp rear wheel seal. The part # is 5751. It is a leather type seal, and is by no means cheap at a list price of $67.15, or trade price of $53.72. I tried crossing over to a CR seal, but their current production for this application does not include the oil slinger, and is even more expensive.
Old 09-08-05, 12:52
Bluebell

Default Seal

Rob, do you mean the drive axle inner hub seal? If so Tony Smith and others have talked about them in another recent thread.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 11-08-05, 15:30
carrier mech

Lynn
Yes, the 5751 is equivelant and identical to the BB1175C. I saw on another thread where someone mentioned they were available via Macs Ford parts in the US, but the price has now risen to $17 US, and they are out of stock, with a 3 week backorder time. Seems by the time I get anything out of the US, the price almost doubles, and customs holds it up way too long. Fall is approaching and it will son be the end of the work season here in sunny/snowy Manitoba Canada.

The 5751 is actually still in leather like the origionals. They are fresh production out of Mexico. For anyone else who goes this route, you are supposed to soak the leather seal in oil for about an hour before installing them.
Old 12-08-05, 00:19
Bluebell

Neatsford oil I think? - makes old leather seals soft and pliable.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....