MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 26-04-05, 15:50
former Resident Historian

Default PC-Cilln crashed PCs!

PC-Cillin, i.e. Trend Micro, released a pattern file for 90 minutes last Friday...this resulted in PCs crashing around the globe because each PC's CPU was fully-occupied with dealing with the Trend software. A note has been sent out and there is a solution on the website. However, what is required is to delete the offending pattern file BUT it cannot be done by deleting in safe mode as they suggested... it has to be done with a download onto a floppy and then as per their instructions using the tool in the download.

As you know IE will not work in safe mode through a ADSL modem as the driver will not work so no-one could access Trend's site or download! My local fantastic computer company have sorted it out but if you know anyone whose PC behaves like a lethargic tortoise about to expire after 150 years on this planet, please tell them what the problem might be and how they can resolve.

David out!
Old 26-04-05, 16:02
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: PC-Cilln crashed PCs!

I got PC-Cillen free when I built my machine, but they changed its layout and started downloading HUGE files rather than the standard 400K pattern files, and eventually stopped working altogether. I uninstalled it, and bought instead the ZoneAlarm Suite, which includes and excellent firewall as well as a good antivirus application. It works.

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
PC-Cillin, i.e. Trend Micro, released a pattern file for 90 minutes last Friday...this resulted in PCs crashing around the globe because each PC's CPU was fully-occupied with dealing with the Trend software. A note has been sent out and there is a solution on the website. However, what is required is to delete the offending pattern file BUT it cannot be done by deleting in safe mode as they suggested... it has to be done with a download onto a floppy and then as per their instructions using the tool in the download.

As you know IE will not work in safe mode through a ADSL modem as the driver will not work so no-one could access Trend's site or download! My local fantastic computer company have sorted it out but if you know anyone whose PC behaves like a lethargic tortoise about to expire after 150 years on this planet, please tell them what the problem might be and how they can resolve.

David out!
Old 26-04-05, 16:12

Default Suggestion?

Buy anything other than Trend!
Old 26-04-05, 17:55
David Pope

I assembled a 2 gigahertz PC running Windows 2000 and used the pccillan software that came with the motherboard and it just wouldn't operate until I disabled the antivirus program from Control Panel. I removed the program and installed Norton antivirus and haven't had any problems since.
Old 26-04-05, 20:35
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: PC-Cilln crashed PCs!

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
if you know anyone whose PC behaves like a lethargic tortoise about to expire after 150 years on this planet, please tell them what the problem might be and how they can resolve.

David out!
Get a Macintosh.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-04-05, 20:57

Quote:
Originally posted by cletrac
I removed the program and installed Norton antivirus and haven't had any problems since.

Aagghh........don't talk to me about Norton, been using it for 3 years then updated to the 2005 Internet Security package and it completly stuffed my computor. In the end, I wiped as much of Norton as was possible and now use AVG which is very user friendly and unobtrusive.

Norton made good motorcycles, they should have stuck to that :

Richard
Old 26-04-05, 21:00

Default Get a Macintosh

Quote:
Get a Macintosh
Good idea! It's raining here today!

However unforunately Macs are now no longer 1000% safe and there is a nasty virus that transfers from PC to PC without problem but when it gets attached to a document, graphic file, etc. and is opened up in a Mac, it infects the Mac and the result is disastrous to files including jpg and tifs!
Old 26-04-05, 21:21
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Macs

Sorry David, I couldn't help myself...

In fact there have always been the occasional virus targeting us, but nothing like the avalanche of evil ones aimed at making the life of Microsoft users unhappy.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 26-04-05, 22:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: PC-Cilln crashed PCs!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Get a Macintosh.
PISS OFF!

You artistic MacIntosh busybodies drive the rest of us up the wall...
Old 26-04-05, 23:27
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Re: Re: PC-Cilln crashed PCs!

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
PISS OFF!

You artistic MacIntosh busybodies drive the rest of us up the wall...
Ahhh yes, but we artistic types use our virus-free Macintoshes to produce useful things like the "Year of" series...

The Year of the Carrier is progressing well, with the pictures now cut - there's some original music being written, then the sound mixing, then the DVD authoring and replication and it's done!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 27-04-05, 09:15

Default !

Quote:
Ahhh yes, but we artistic types use our virus-free Macintoshes to produce useful things like the "Year of" series...
We research types who also do editing [started 20 years ago] can now laugh if we wanted to but it it is so digusting that some barstewards that create and modify malware have now decided that the PC owners of the world should be joined by the 10% of computer users and arty types that use Macs and should get their malware as well,and just to rub it in the PCs won't be affected but the Macs will! Keith will empathise when a whole month's created and laid-out magazine went kaput because of the virus [trojan] I mentioned. Costs and time wasted have been horrendous. And where did this horrible programme come from? A PC owner whose machine is riddled with the electronic equivalent of plagues, and refuses to do much about it. This character is now infamous for sending out all manner of infected material,and that includes me! He has had to be quarantined [block on his address] by people he deals with so that he cannot send them viruses by e-mail.

Good luck and congrats to Keith by the way! And may your Mac remain plague-free... just watch those graphic files as .jpg, .tif as well as .doc and .pdf files can have a nasty attachment that your anti-virus may not pick up.