MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-12-06, 23:45
Vets Dottir

Hi folks,

Well, progress at last.

You all know that Greyhound bus lines Expression "Go GREYhound and leave the driving to us"?

Well ... my passport is going Greyhound Courier Express to my guarantor and should be back in me wee bittie hands by Thursday latest, Wed soonest.

What a nerve wracking experience to try and find a courier or something to get something, short notice and during Christmas last minute insanity inundations and rushing, somewhere and back, to work in sync with specific business hours timings both ends, to make a deadline. Talk about living on the edge of when everything else hangs on one tiny little ... thing ... that is hard to accomplish in a time crunch.

PHEW ... mission accomplished for getting things on the way. Now question is, is Murphy's Law busy elsewhere? I surely hope it's busy hounding elsewhere and doesn't notice me wee bittie self! It's in the hands of ... timing now ... and wait to see when it arrives back, so I can know when I will head to ... Cowtown to see my kid for Christmas ... and do the rest of the PP handdelivered to PP office thing.

So ... progress ... I'm one step closer to The Land of Oz!

Ma Yappy
Old 29-12-06, 01:17
Vets Dottir

Well, about time I get back to this thread!

I made it to Cowtown, and was met by Bill Miller Jr. who I totally enjoyed meeting and visiting with. We made it to the passport office and I was whisked out of the crowd of waiting peoples, led around a corner, to a woman waiting to go over my application with me... (special treatment or was I suspect? Maybe they were told about my frying pan? )

After the PP office and that AMAZINGLY brief office visit, Bill took me to a favorite local bar and grill ... where we enjoyed talking about many things (although I was very scattered with lack of sleep (3 hrs) , the long busride, and nervousness/excitement) ... and we enjoyed some late lunch.

Bill, I thank you so much for everything and totally enjoyed our meeting and visit. I'm only sorry I left before you got back so we could have another, with me awake and relaxed this time! Also ... I hope you don't mind me sharing this little p[icture of us enjoying the bar and grill place

Karmen
Old 29-12-06, 01:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Postage stamp

"little" pic is right!

Sort of itty bitty wee small one.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 29-12-06, 01:58
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Postage stamp

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
"little" pic is right!

Sort of itty bitty wee small one.
ARGH! Why is this not working with the images!!! ... back to the drawing (enlarging) board, I guess

Sorry folks!

Karmen
Old 31-12-06, 02:43
Vets Dottir

Hi folks,

In about another 12 hours (some more, some less) our friends over in thos Oz and areas time zones will already have rung in the year 2007!!!

I send you to each and everyone of you to cross that line into 2007 ... have a happy night and a good day to start next year with!!!

Karmen ............... and all her known aka's
Old 31-12-06, 09:08
RIP

Default 67 Sleeps to Go

Hi Kartmann

If you arrive here on the 8th March you have 67 sleeps to go.

And to you and all the other MLUers - have a blast of a 2007.

Salesman Bob
Old 31-12-06, 09:54
Vets Dottir

Bill and Karmen in Calgary ... entertaining the Troops

Attached Thumbnails
bill karmen1.jpg  
Old 31-12-06, 09:57
Vets Dottir

Default Re: 67 Sleeps to Go

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Hi Kartmann

If you arrive here on the 8th March you have 67 sleeps to go.

And to you and all the other MLUers - have a blast of a 2007.

Salesman Bob
Hmmmmm ... only 67?

And a VERY HOPPY HOPPY NEW YEAR to you two, Bob and Ada, too ...

Korowa Kartmann counting sleeps ...
Old 31-12-06, 10:05
Vets Dottir

another of Bill and Karmen having a lunch break before entertaining the Troops again
Attached Thumbnails
billkarmen2.jpg  
Old 31-12-06, 15:11
Pops

Default Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all as we are the first to experience the event

Max
Old 31-12-06, 17:16
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Happy New Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hedges
Happy New Year to all as we are the first to experience the event

Max
You too, Max! My best to you and yours. Hope to see you in the New Year!

Bill -- good to see your pic, mate... thanks for taking care of Anty for us! My best to you and your Dad, and I'll call you soon.
Old 01-01-07, 05:31
Vets Dottir

Still New Years Eve here, at 9:27 pm Dec 31st. I'll probably be asleep when the clock strikes 2007!

Oz ... Ive been advised to have along a big floppy hat for protection from the sun, and lots of insect repellant for lots of flying biting things in Oz ? (I can already hear Keefy's mouse clicking gleefully as he searches his computer for photos of Aussie creepy-crawly-flying things to post now )

KK
Old 01-01-07, 06:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Still New Years Eve here, at 9:27 pm Dec 31st. I'll probably be asleep when the clock strikes 2007!

Oz ... Ive been advised to have along a big floppy hat for protection from the sun, and lots of insect repellant for lots of flying biting things in Oz ? (I can already hear Keefy's mouse clicking gleefully as he searches his computer for photos of Aussie creepy-crawly-flying things to post now )

KK
Don't be nasty, milady! You can have my white Tilley for the sun.

Midnight here. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
Old 01-01-07, 06:18

Default BTW

... it's pissing rain here and blowing hard, most of my satellite signal is gone. I have my Aussie hat on for the occasion of the year's turning! Wish I had a camera to capture the moment!

Old 01-01-07, 06:31
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Don't be nasty, milady! You can have my white Tilley for the sun.

Midnight here. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
Happy New Year Our Geoff
Old 02-01-07, 02:46
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Happy New Year!

Hi Carmen,

I too am sorry I wasn't back in time from my Xmas break to see you again, our visit was too brief. I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip to Australia... by March I'll be in need of another vacation, Australia seems like just the ticket!

You were being too modest however in your description of the "Christmas Miracle" at the passport office!!!

...Carmen and I arrived at the Calgary Passport Office around 2 pm on the 23rd. The last day the office was open before the Xmas break. There were probably at least 40 or more people in line ahead of us. I got Carmen seated in the waiting area and excused myself to go to the washroom. When I got back a mere three minutes later from my trip down the hall, she was gone!?!? My first reaction was a little bit of panic. I thought, "oh no... I 've lost her... Geoff's going to be pissed!"

I sat down where I had previously left her, thinking that perhaps she went to the ladies room. I was only seated long enough to get comfortable in the little plastic chair when I look over my shoulder to see a smiling "Vet's Dottir" saying she is ready to go... done. Mission accomplished. Total time at the Passport office, including finding a parking spot, 20 minutes.

I am not sure who, what or why she was pulled aside and given the royal treatment but I am very thankful. It allowed us to have a very delightful lunch and a visit. All in all, a very nice afternoon!

Happy New Year MLU.
Bill.
Old 02-01-07, 03:41
Vets Dottir

Hey Bill,

Welcome back! I was beginning to wonder if you had got stuck in the snow somewhere I'm assuming you had a great Christmas with your dad and family.

As you can see, I managed to get those photos done and in here (grin) I still wish I had been more awake and less frazzled and scattered. I think I needed about an hour lay down/rest once off the bus and when I was finally able to find my suitcase and drag it round everything/everyone and finally found you. My bag just had to be around the otherside and buried under everyone elses things ... the whiz through the passport office really made up for that, because you saw me dropping everything by then and about ready to sit and not get up again As you say, the PP visit was a "Christmas Miracle" that I still don't know why the special treatment. I do know I still feel a bit guilty for all those others I know I was jumped ahead of, but I'm really glad I was.

By the way, I WAS worried about you coming back and finding me gone, thinking I'd be gone forever in the other room, so I was really glad I was able to get right back and set your fears at rest!

When I got in my daughters apartment, after several more great hugs with her, I collapsed and sat for a while. PHEW! If I remember correctly, I even had a beer with my kid! (It's all a blur still)

Another by the way, my daughter really was happy and grateful for what you did for her dear old Mom. She's very impressed!

I regret not having more time with you to sit and talk (me - cherantly) about everything. I wanted to hear a lot more about your research, writing, and your Dad, and and and ... another time though, I'm sure. I'd be honoured to have a good visit smetime in future and hear all about everything. Between you and Geoff, I can only imagine a most wonderful book as a tribute to your Dad and those wonderful Kangaoos. I'll definately buy a copy, so set one aside for me when it's accomplished! And if you are ever this way, don't forget to call and we can all enjoy a visit.

Well, for me it's business as usual again tomorrow, as I'm sure it is for most MLU-ers. All of the hoopla has passed. Back to docs appointments, physio and OT sessions, and planning my visit to Oz in March (so not sALL so business as usual after all!) It never occurred to me how much there is to think about and arrange for an off-the-continent long visit!

All the best to you and your Lady Love, Bill, for 2007.

Carman
Old 03-01-07, 07:51
Vets Dottir

A post abut the PP offices busy-ness these days!

THIS from the passport site, about the influx of people applying for passports Seeing the number of people applying in November, I can only imagine the numbers for December and January!!!

Quote:
News Release
December 20, 2006

Taking Measures to Reduce Line ups
Gatineau, Quebec - Due to the new U.S. requirements for air travel to the United States, Passport Canada is experiencing a sharp volume increase in passport applications in all of its offices. In November alone, Passport Canada received more than 355,000 applications - a 33 per cent increase compared to November 2005.

"Passport Canada is making every possible effort to meet the increase in demand while respecting its service standards," said Gérald Cossette, Passport Canada's Chief Executive Officer. "We are taking steps to reduce waiting times without jeopardizing the security and the integrity of the Canadian passport" he added.

Several measures have been implemented at all levels to reduce waiting times. Passport Canada offices across the country share their workload in order to maximize all available resources. New employees have been hired to meet clerical needs and regular employees are working overtime to process all applications. An extra shift has been added at print centres to maximize output.

To avoid congestion, delays, and waiting time at its offices, Passport Canada strongly recommends that Canadians send their applications by mail or bring their applications to a Service Canada or Canada Post receiving agent. A complete checklist identifying the steps in the passport application process, as well as the location of Passport Canada offices and Canada Post / Service Canada receiving agents, is available at www.passportcanada.gc.ca or by calling toll-free 1 800 567-6868.

Starting January 23, 2007, an American initiative will require travellers to the United States by air to carry a valid passport. Canadians can also travel with a NEXUS Air membership at a designated kiosk, instead of a passport. The NEXUS program offers simplified and expedited border crossing to frequent travellers.

For the time being, Canadians travelling to the United States by land and sea can continue to use documents such as birth certificates and drivers' licences, which provide proof of citizenship and identity, for at least another year.

Passport Canada is a Special Operating Agency of Foreign Affairs Canada. Its mission is to issue secure Canadian travel documents through authentication of identity and entitlement, facilitating travel and contributing to international and domestic security.
Old 03-01-07, 20:46
Vets Dottir

Hi all,

I've just been having fun browsing Keefy's sites photos of events at Corowa ... very impressive!!! And good to see some familiar MLU-er faces and a whole lot of other faces.

EMMA ... I loved the shot of you driving the carrier!!!!!!!!! Way to go, girlfriend!!!

Karmen
Old 09-01-07, 10:23
Vets Dottir

Default ETA????????

Oh my goodness, it looks like a visit to Oz needs a visa or an ETA:

Quote:
If you are planning a holiday visit or a short business trip to Australia, you will need to apply for either a visa or an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority). An ETA will let you spend up to three months in Australia.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/index.html

Important: You may not be permitted to enter Australia unless you are in good health and have no criminal convictions.

Kartmann
Old 10-01-07, 20:20
Vets Dottir

Oh how exciting this is! A little birdie just told me this morning that my Vancouver/Australia flights are now booked!!!

Are all of you Aussies really SURE you can handle Ma Yappy descending upon you all?

Oh, wait a minute now, happy or no, I'll be there so get used to the idea

For the record for anyone else planning a visit to Oz, after talking with the Australian Embassy office in Ottawa, I was told that immunizations are not required for entry to Australia, they are strictly optional for the visitor. I'm glad I'm not required to go through all of the needles after all ... I get enough of them already and I'm sure some of them won't be "slendidly blended" with other meds even though today I had 3 anyways ... arms hurt!

Look out Australia ... Ma Yappy aka Corowa Kartmann is about to ARRIVE soon!
Old 12-01-07, 18:37
Vets Dottir

Good morning All, from the frozen Great White North. It's currently -26 celcius here. Oz sounds very good today

I'm reminded that I arrived here to live on Feb 4th last year (my goodness, it's ONE YEAR for me here already!!!) and the next couple of months brought some bitter cold windy days to get through.

I got a look at my ticket itinerary for the main flights to Australia, leaving March 7th, and returning April 3rd, via Vancouver and the States. San Fransisco change flights going, and Los Angeles coming back. SF will be a brief stop with probably no time for finding an outside smoking spot but coming back will have roughly 4 hours to smoke my brains out if I want to!

Its incredible that the Aussie side of this trip is all taken care of and sorted out. An amazing feat of cooperation, collecting, and coordinating, for all the places and people on the itinerary. Max and Kathy especially must be breathing a huge sigh of relief after being in the eye of the storm and taking care of the actual bookings and all, and now the main flights are taken care of I hope you two will enjoy relaxing a bit more!!!

Geoff is hoping to be able to arrange things so he can rendevous with me in San Fransisco and we can manage to fly together on the main Oz flight! Fingers crossed!

Now this end needs some more pulling together and organizing before it can be written in stone and Canada side can be booked and solidified. My passport (should be here soon) ... needs to be in my hands before some things can be taken care of, like travelers visas/ETA etc for customs (now both USA and Australia customs I'll be going through)

People who have never travelled have no idea just how much needs to be done and taken care of first before being able to get on a plane and fly off on a holiday or trip, until they plan a trip!!! Gotta choreograph everything! The more people and places, and transports, and countries, the more "paper stuff and redtape", the more fees, the more coordinating and working out details. Amazing.

I know a lot of you are old hat with this travelling biz, but I'm brand new at the whole thing, and it's a learn as I go how "not easy" it is to pull it all together and pull it all off ... and this from me who has no idea what others, or how many others, or even all of the WHO's, have done and had to accomplish to make this whole thing happen. I can only guess!

I can only sit back astounded and feel blessed by this MLU FORCE that is sweeping me along into experiences of a lifetime just because they wanted to do some great thing for me. (I know its actually really selfish of all of you because you all only want my frying pan and some REAL Canadian Maple Syrup for a REAL Canadian Breakfast and must suffer my company to get to the Canadian rewards!!! )

Life has an amazing ability to present the most amazing things out of the blue!

Karmen
Old 13-01-07, 02:48
Pops

Default at Yass

The temperature here got up to 40.8 celcius yesterday, boy was that hot, just like opening the oven door when you went to go outside.

Then this morning we woke up to a phone call to assist the local town brigade with a major fire in one of the local nursing homes. The fire started in a vehicle parked beside the building and more than half the building was destroyed, the residents were all thankfully evacuated safely.

Max
Old 13-01-07, 03:06
Vets Dottir

FYI ... heard on Global News today, and I just verified this at the Passport Canada site. NOTE: The numbers they use for days to process means WORKING BUSINESS DAYS, not weekends or days closed. The delayed processing timeframes also do NOT include time spent enroute through the mails!!! Add another week or so for them to mail it to you I would expect.

Quote:
Passport Canada is experiencing a sharp volume increase in passport applications in all of its offices, by mail and through its receiving agents. Please note that we are also experiencing, on average, 5 to 20 business days delays in our service standards when delivering your new passport.
In the news clips it showed lineups at Calgary Passport office, lined up OUTSIDE the doors and around corners ... sounds like it was averaging a 4 hour wait!!!

Mine was handed in, in person, Dec 22nd. I'm glad I beat out the lineups happening now. Maybe the stars were "just right" for me the day I was there ... whizzed in and out in a heartbeat?

Karmen.
Old 13-01-07, 03:15
Vets Dottir

Default Re: at Yass

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hedges
The temperature here got up to 40.8 celcius yesterday, boy was that hot, just like opening the oven door when you went to go outside.

Then this morning we woke up to a phone call to assist the local town brigade with a major fire in one of the local nursing homes. The fire started in a vehicle parked beside the building and more than half the building was destroyed, the residents were all thankfully evacuated safely.

Max
Max, you were writing this while I was writing a post, then got on phone for a bit.

+40 really is a hot. We hit that a couple of times here in the summer heatwaves, but usually it was more around +35. I know what you mean about heatwaves wafting up at you like when opening the oven doors. Geez, just what you people DON'T need is more extremes!

Thank god those people all got out safely! Whereever will they go? To other nursing homes or the hospital until homes are found for all them again? That's a lot of people needing IMMEDIATE nursing care and a home all at once. I hope they get settled quickly and smoothly as possible.

Karmen
Old 13-01-07, 04:15
Vets Dottir

The influx for passports is people rushing to get them

1) to get into USA, USA deadline Jan. 23rd

2) Passport Canada NORMALLY does 40% to 50% of their annual volume processing new applications between December and March.

3) Those who scurried out and bought passports after 9/11 in 2001 are expiring and they need new ones.

All at once! I wonder how many people scored new jobs with Passport Canada (even if only temporary, jobs are good to find!!!

Karmen
Old 19-01-07, 22:32
Vets Dottir

Well folks, NO ONE is safe in the world from Ma Yappy's anymore ... I now have my own Valid Passport in me wee bittie hands ... 2 hands, one hold the Passport, the other the ... you can run, but you can't hide!

Ma Yappy
Old 20-01-07, 10:03
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Well folks, you can run, but you can't hide!

Ma Yappy
But we can wear a disguise!
Attached Images

Old 20-01-07, 10:53
Film maker, CMP addict

Default A high-res image of Tony's pic

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith

Great disguise, Tony!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 20-01-07, 19:06
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Cool smilie Tony! Gee, I wonder if Master Sunray will add it in honour of you Aussies?

Ma Yappy