MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 26-09-05, 02:07
Film maker, CMP addict

Default And another

Yes, I think there was... and another good one - where there is hope expressed that one's balls turn into bicycle wheels and backpedal up one's arse.

Barry Humphries, I think.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-09-05, 08:51
Richard Notton

Default Re: And another

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Yes, I think there was... and another good one - where there is hope expressed that one's balls turn into bicycle wheels and backpedal up one's arse.

Barry Humphries, I think.
Pffft, not a patch on Kevin Bloody Wilson, huge larf.

R.
Old 26-09-05, 21:58
RIP

Default Hi Karmen

Well,today at noon,I received the "Dear John" message by phone from my little "Human Resourses Manager.Quote "We've decided to go with another person BUT we will keep your resume "on file".This from someone who has no shipping experience,wouldn't know a shipping container from a ship".I rest my case.
My age again.I don't believe it !!
Old 26-09-05, 22:17
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Hi Karmen

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Well,today at noon,I received the "Dear John" message by phone from my little "Human Resourses Manager.Quote "We've decided to go with another person BUT we will keep your resume "on file".This from someone who has no shipping experience,wouldn't know a shipping container from a ship".I rest my case.
My age again.I don't believe it !!
Hi Gar,

I'm so sorry the job didn't pan out for you ... in my case it wasn't age, it was that I simply couldn't do what was necessary for that particular job (or for most)

Job hunting for us challenged folks is really something ... age doesn't help when facing off with the young hooligans

Now is a time to have to brainstorm and get really creative in terms of possible ways to earn an income ... and to "think outside of traditional boxes" ... I know many people with skills and degrees up the yin/yang taking one 1/2/3 etc part-time jobs ... often at minimum wage, in order to survive.

I feel at my age and stage, I'm "not with the program" regards the new ways and expectations of applying for jobs etc. The new waves of employers and employees and how they conect up with each other has sort of washed me out to sea methinks ...

The thing is, many turn to entrepreneurial types work ... if you have skills to woirk with and grow something, and the funds to start up and get you rolling, many things can work ... but this all takes time and effort ... and money (sometimes VERY little money just to get some forward movement happening) ... and when income is needed yesterday, then grabbing whatever is available and open (crap jobs pay money for time) is needed.

It's a tough time for older workers, in many ways, yet the older employee brings so much to a job. Yes, the younger are more "trainable" ... but older people can flex and bend as well ... the new employers, as far as I'm concerned, should gamble more.

I babble on ... when all I wanted to say was ... bummer and sorry about the job ... keep your eyes open for new opportunities

Woof-n-Arf to Shadster from Ma Yappy.
Old 26-09-05, 22:39
RIP

Default Agree with all you said

The first time I meet you,a superhuman hug,when that time comes.Plus one for GWB,although he's a little taller.Thanks my friend,your words are encouring,and keep me going.I you.
By the way,gave Shaadoe your aarf.He rolled over ,moaned,and went back to sleep.!!
Oh well,must of have been me vaacuming around him this afternoon,which pi--ed him off.

Best regards
Have om me
Signed
Disillusioned
Old 26-09-05, 22:42

yes sorry to hear that as well Garry. Like you two I also know the pain of being fully trained and in a skill short job type but having no chance of getting an even part time job. If I could get something with flexible hours...eg 20 hours a week whenever you like as long as the 20 hours a week is kept up I would be fine.

never mind I will stick to my models and my garden as the rose flowers look great at the moment.

here's one for Karmen to brighten her day

cheers
Cliff

PS> this rose is a golden oldie just like most of those who use MLU.

PPS> Photo and artwork by me! I will be having a display of my photographs next year during disability week here.
Attached Thumbnails
louis xiv 000.jpg  
Old 26-09-05, 23:06
Vets Dottir

CLIFF: A picture like that is certainly worth much more thah a thousand words ... it says things words can't. Thank you ... I'm especially glad you chose a Rose, and a RED one at that as red roses have special meaning for me ... they remind me of my Mom, whose name was Rose (I called her "Rosie" until I was 15 and in a foster home and thought, well, you're my MOM and the only one I got, so from this day forth you shall be called Mom by me ... the rest is history) ... your images are beautiful ... I'll bet people pay to hang them in their homes and businesses. Images ... create moods ... when the moods are positive, that sells 'em

That's a wicked looking image and I love it!

GARRY: And I'd lay a big hug back ... you and your Shadster have given me more smiles and boosts than you can ever know ... Geoff is huggable/hugger too and never takes it the wrong way ... or gives it the wrong way

The only cure for disillusionment is to find new attaintable hopes in other directions At least that's the only one I know of

Cast your eye round you, ya never know what ya might spot
Old 27-09-05, 00:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
CLIFF: Thank you ... I'm especially glad you chose a Rose, and a RED one at that as red roses have special meaning for me ... they remind me of my Mom, whose name was Rose (I called her "Rosie" until I was 15 and in a foster home and thought, well, you're my MOM and the only one I got, so from this day forth you shall be called Mom by me ... the rest is history)
Oh I did not tell you I have the ability to see certain things that others can't. Must come from the Irish and Welsh in me

Cheers
Cliff

PS> glad you liked it.
Old 27-09-05, 01:00
Vets Dottir

Talking Have fun with this then ...

I found this and figured a little more laughter about getting older would be nice ... K.

* Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin
* Many foxes grow gray but few grow good. ~ Benjamin Franklin
* Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five. ~ Benjamin Franklin
* He is so old that his blood type was discontinued. ~ Bill Dana
* A stockbroker urged me to buy a stock that would triple its value every year. I told him, ''At my age, I don't even buy green bananas." ~ Claude D. Pepper
* One of the many things nobody ever tells you about middle age is that it's such a nice change from being young. ~ Dorothy Canfield Fisher
* A man ninety years old was asked to what he attributed his longevity. I reckon, he said, with a twinkle in his eye, it because most nights I went to bed and slept when I should have sat up and worried. ~ Dorothea Kent
* Middle age is when a guy keeps turning off lights for economical rather than romantic reasons. ~ Eli Cass
* No man knows he is young while he is young. ~ G. K. Chesterton
* By the time you're eighty years old you've learned everything. You only have to remember it. ~ George Burns
* Everything that goes up must come down. But there comes a time when not everything that's down can come up. ~ George Burns
* I can't understand why I flunked American history. When I was a kid there was so little of it. ~ George Burns
* I smoke 10 to 15 cigars a day, at my age I have to hold on to something. ~ George Burns
* If you live to the age of a hundred you have it made because very few people die past the age of a hundred. ~ George Burns
* Nice to be here? At my age it's nice to be anywhere. ~ George Burns
* Old age is when you resent the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated because there are fewer articles to read. ~ George Burns
* Old age is like flying through a storm. Once you're aboard, there's nothing you can do. ~ Golda Meir
* Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough. ~ Groucho Marx
* I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up. ~ Harry Hershfield
* I hope I never get so old I get religious. ~ Ingmar Bergman
* Every time I think that I'm getting old, and gradually going to the grave, something else happens. ~ Lillian Carter
* The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. ~ Lucille Ball
* Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternatives. ~ Maurice Chevalier
* At my age I'm envious of a stiff wind. ~ Rodney Dangerfield
* I'm at the age where food has taken the place of sex in my life. In fact, I've just had a mirror put over my kitchen table. ~ Rodney Dangerfield
* The age of a woman doesn't mean a thing. The best tunes are played on the oldest fiddles. ~ Sigmund Z. Engel
* Whenever a man's friends begin to compliment him about looking young, he may be sure that they think he is growing old. ~ Washington Irving

Old 27-09-05, 01:42
RIP

Default Hey Cliff !!

You said Irish & Welsh ??
So am I my friend,except I wear the kilt,which most Montrealers' of Irish desent wear.Hec !! .We outnumber the Scots,so somebody has to do it.
Old 27-09-05, 03:51
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Hey Garry

Sorry to hear that, me old trout, really sorry. But I know what you mean and thus how you feel. The political bastards who run this society now have their own damned agenda which has damn-all to do with what people are or know, but rather who kisses whose ass or is able to check the right blocks on their pseudo-scientific value-add charts. It's all bullshit. They want youngsters with degrees in there because (a), they've swallowed the education-before-experience psycho-babble and (b), because they cost less to hire, are 'trainable' (vs us who actually know what we're doing), and a LOT of the time now, will work on contract, which means these greedy corporations don't have to pay benefits.

This is a sad state to which we've sunk as a society, and you have my commiserations. The best I can say is hang in there, bub, because sooner or later one of us 'old-school' types will recognize your worth and you'll be home-free. Keep your chin up in the meantime.
Old 27-09-05, 12:02
Vets Dottir

Default Yeah ...

... therefore some of us are not "with the program" and CAN'T get WITH the program, therefore, we gotta be a tad creative, and make our own program ...

Flash: to old to gather degrees but never too old to find something that doesn't require degrees. Ingenuity ... creative brainstorming and perhaps even networking ... burst forth from the damned boxes if you don't fit, and MUST find another way.

Our "old age" gives us SOME wisdom that grows through experience and age ... which is something the young-bloods have NOT acquired yet ... but we have!!!

THINK DAMMIT

There is no time to waste in regret, unless it's budgetted into a slot that doesn't interfere with ... onward HO ...

My point? Don't be distracted by "can't" ... but pay attention to "can" ... boxes are only good for encasing things in ... we older folks have much bigger and better to use and offer.

Famous last words. eh?

I'll keep you all posted on how long my unemployment lasts
Old 27-09-05, 22:13
Richard Notton

Default Re: Yeah ...

Quote:
I'll keep you all posted on how long my unemployment lasts
Keep me posted as to how you get 10 smilies in a post. . . . . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 27-09-05, 23:05

Default Re: Re: Yeah ...

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Keep me posted as to how you get 10 smilies in a post. . . . . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 27-09-05, 23:06
Vets Dottir

: :love:
Old 27-09-05, 23:10
Vets Dottir

Master R. Both Sunray and I tried and he got 10 smilies ... and so did I. I tried more than 10, and the forum wouldn't allow that ... so there's a 10 smilie limit ...

Try posting 10 ... again ... and see what happens ...

PW/VD
Old 28-09-05, 00:25

Karman, you miss one saying about ageing. It’s from the great Canadian philosopher, Red Green.

“Since you can’t stay young, stay immature.”
Old 28-09-05, 01:17
Richard Notton

Quote:
Master R. Both Sunray and I tried and he got 10 smilies ... and so did I. I tried more than 10, and the forum wouldn't allow that ... so there's a 10 smilie limit ...

Try posting 10 ... again ... and see what happens ...

PW/VD
I will, but whyfor Missa Sunlay tell me only seven smilie when he lass here?

Oops, better not make to much noise, the memsahib is sleeping.

R.
Old 28-09-05, 01:40

Massa has mysterious powers to interdict the electronic Forces of Nature...
Old 28-09-05, 01:53
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Massa has mysterious powers to interdict the electronic Forces of Nature...
Ah so.

R.
Old 28-09-05, 05:34
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Ah so.

R.
... a needle pulling thread ...
Old 28-09-05, 23:58
Richard Notton

Quote:
... a needle pulling thread ...
Yes but, not eactly what I had in mind.

²

R.
Old 29-09-05, 20:18
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Yes but, not eactly what I had in mind.

²

R.
Sorry Old Boy ... I couldn't resist the cheek
Old 02-10-05, 09:21
Vets Dottir

Default Job.

I thought I'd let you all know that I've decided to take up freelancing my frying-pan "aim is always true" skills and hire myself out as a hit- -woman ...

Anyone wanna hire me? I'll negotiate fees I'll even work on contingency ... in other words, don't pay me until I your target

Ma the -woman
Old 02-10-05, 10:06
Pops

Default Contract

If you come out to Aussie land, I could arrange a few blokes for you to

What is your fee for ?

I can think of at leat 4 blokes for you to

If you wish I could give a hand with the

When I two blokes it did not do much, I think that I need your touch to knock some sense into then

Emma
Old 02-10-05, 10:23
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Uh oh, Yappy's found her niche as a Rent-a-Mentor to the Aprentice from Down Under! This is just the situation we feared the most.
Old 02-10-05, 21:37
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Contract

EMMA:

For YOU Lassie Emma ... I'll those blokes for you out of the goodness of me wee bittie heart ... and give you free lessons to boot ... (well, perhaps a Tim Tam or two for me efforts would be nice?)

By the way, I'm sorry to disillusion you Emma, but you can NOT knock any sense into most blokes ... all you can do is the crap out of them until they blindly obey But that obedience has it's benefits as well!

Geez, and I'm SO in the mood to someone worthy of it...(I haven't had me Tim Tam today!)
Old 02-10-05, 21:39
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Uh oh, Yappy's found her niche as a Rent-a-Mentor to the Aprentice from Down Under! This is just the situation we feared the most.
Forewarned is forearmed then? (yeah right ... you're all powerless over women with frying pans )
Old 02-10-05, 21:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default When in Yass

Em always tries to keep me in line too - even though she's half my age. She's a natural and definitely does NOT need mentoring.

My theory is it comes from years of dealing with sheep - maybe she sees men as big sheep with a lot less wool.

Em is, however an EXCELLENT cook. Especially rhubarb.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 02-10-05, 22:51
Vets Dottir

Default Re: When in Yass

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Em is, however an EXCELLENT cook. Especially rhubarb.
Hmmmm ... making nicey-nicey to Em to avoid the ?