MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 07-07-05, 13:28
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default London Blasts

The news is out now about what seem to be a series of coordinated bomb attacks on the London [England] transit system during rush hour this morning. At least two dead and many, many injured. The system is paralysed right now. There are as yet no suspects and as far as we know, no claims have been made.

Are all of our British friends OK? I know most of you are scattered across the country hither and yon, but what's the mood like right now? Please check in.
Old 07-07-05, 15:01
Adrian Barrell

Geoff,
Thanks for your concern, out in the sticks all is normal. London is looking bad though. Many unconfirmed reports in the media, though it looks like up to six small bombs, at least one on a bus.
I'm due to go to London tomorrow afternoon, may have to revise my plans, though reluctant to let the bastards dictate my movements. Hope everyone on the boards is ok.
Adrian Barrell
Old 07-07-05, 15:12
Vets Dottir

Default BBC News UK

Here is a news article from BBC UK ... and the link to their website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3533099.stm

Quote:
London rocked by terror attacks

Firefighters at Aldgate Tube station

TV coverage
At least two people have been killed and scores injured after three blasts on the Underground network and another on a double-decker bus in London.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said it was "reasonably clear" there had been a series of terrorist attacks.

He said it was "particularly barbaric" that it was timed to coincide with the G8 summit. He is returning to London.

An Islamist website has posted a statement - purportedly from al-Qaeda - claiming it was behind the attacks.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said blasts occurred between Aldgate East and Liverpool Street tube stations; between Russell Square and King's Cross tube stations; at Edgware Road tube station; and on a bus at Tavistock Square.

The Queen said she was "deeply shocked" and sent her sympathy to those affected.

Paul Woodrow, of the London Ambulance Service, is in Russell Square near the bus which exploded.

"At King's Cross station there is a rescue operation in the tunnel down on the line," he said.

"Although we cannot confirm casualties - it is too early - we are dealing with large numbers of casualties."

London's police chief Sir Ian Blair said in all the attacks there had been "many casualties" but it was too early to give a precise figure.

It's particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try to help the problems of poverty and Africa
Tony Blair

Blair statement in full

More than 182 casualties and one of the dead were taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, but 123 people have since been released.

The city's St Mary's Hospital said it was dealing with 26 injured people, including four with critical injuries and eight in a serious condition.

Sir Ian urged people to stay where they were and not to call emergency services unless it was a life-threatening situation.

He reassured the public that an emergency plan was in place and the situation was "steadily coming under control".

London Mayor Ken Livingstone, speaking from Singapore before flying back to the UK, said Londoners would not be divided by a "cowardly attack".

He said it was an "indiscriminate" attempt at slaughter with no consideration for age or religion.

Blasts occurred:
Between Aldgate East and Liverpool Street tube stations
Between Russell Square and King's Cross tube stations
At Edgware Road tube station
On bus at Tavistock Square

All London Underground services have been suspended indefinitely and bus services in central London (Zone One) have been halted.

Early reports had suggested a power surge could be to blame for explosions on the Underground but this was later discounted.

Describing the bus blast in Tavistock Square, witness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip through the vehicle.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double-decker bus was in the air," she said.

She said the bus had been travelling from Euston to Russell Square and was "packed" with people turned away from Tube stops.

There was immediately smoke everywhere and it was hot and everybody panicked. People started screaming and crying
Jacqui Head
BBC News

Bus 'ripped apart' in explosion
Have you been affected?
Terror of stranded passengers

"It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air. I think it was the number 205," she said.

One caller to BBC Five said his friend had seen "the bus ripped open like a can of sardines".
Old 07-07-05, 15:52
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by tankbarrell
Geoff,
Thanks for your concern, out in the sticks all is normal. London is looking bad though. Many unconfirmed reports in the media, though it looks like up to six small bombs, at least one on a bus.
I'm due to go to London tomorrow afternoon, may have to revise my plans, though reluctant to let the bastards dictate my movements. Hope everyone on the boards is ok.
Adrian Barrell
I'm glad that you and yours are safe Adrian.

The CNN News just stated that 45 dead and more to come I'm trying to find out if a friend of mine is okay, and if my foster family's (from victoria BC) friends and relatives who live and work in London are okay ... though it will be some time I'm sure before names of the casualties are known and released.

Meanwhile ... my prayers are with all the people who were involved ... and may the terrorists be damned and burn in hell. Damn them all to hell.

Karmen
Old 07-07-05, 15:55
RIP

Default King's Cross Station

Being very familiar with this particular station,the connecting halls for various transfers are old tiled rounded roofed hallways that permit about four people wide walls.I dread to think how people evacuate these areas,especially if they are dark and smoke filled.
God bless England
Old 07-07-05, 19:20
Commonwealth NOT Europe

There has been a lot of publicity over the last few months given to the efforts of 'civil rights' campaigners fighting to allow known & suspected terrorists and activists from several organisations to stay in this country, and to remain free from investigation, arrest and deportment.

I hope that those interfering liberal wets are now hanging their heads in shame. I'm not saying that we could have prevented todays events, but why leave these people to roam our streets in safety to plot and carry out this kind of moronic atrocity.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 07-07-05, 19:30

Post A sad day for Britian

Hello Geoff

Things are OK here in rural Oxfordshire but it is a very sad day for us all.
There will be much rhetoric around the world as a result, may I suggest we here spare a thought for the relatives of the killed (now standing at 34) and the hundreds of injured.

Pete
Old 07-07-05, 19:34
In Vino Veritas

Default Our Hearts ...

...go out to you stolid Londoners. Once again your resolve is being tested as your fathers and Mothers were tested in the Blitz.
Speaking for average Canadians I can safely say we are there for you again, if you need anything just let us know, really.
I had my views on how this should be resolved in 9/11 my opinion hasn't changed , hopefully this brings the free world closer still.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 07-07-05, 21:16
48th Highlander

Default London Blasts

My sympathy and thoughts go out to all you Londoners and the British people in general. But having seen your calm resolve and defiance during the tragic days of the London blitz I know that you will deal with it as you folks say, with a stiff upper lip and in the usual calm British manner.
Old 07-07-05, 23:17
MLU Administrator

Default Re: London Blasts

My sympathies are going to ones who are affected.

Horrible stuff, it's no longer a question if, but where and when they are going to strike again. Here´s hoping the British keep a stiff upper lip and the rest of the Western world will follow their calm manner.

H.
Old 08-07-05, 00:01
Pops

Default London

Hearing the tragic news in London before we went to bed last night made us think of the people directly affected and their families and friends. Having gone through a tragedy ourselves 6 years ago we feel we have some idea as to the effect this might have on these people and how precious life is. Our thoughts are with you all.

Max Kathy and Emma
Old 08-07-05, 06:41

Allow me offer my prayers to all involved in this horrific
attack.
Patrick
Old 08-07-05, 13:31
former Resident Historian

Default We pray

I was born in Hampton Court, just round the corner from the Palace back in 1955. However I lived until 1981 in west London and used to work in the area covered by the bomb explosions. I used to use the Underground all the time to get to work and was an editor of UndergrounD magazine devoted to the railway. Back in 1974 I missed being blown up by the IRA by 30 minutes when they set of a bomb in an arcade just off Old Bond Street, and despite the IRA setting off explosions in the Underground, shops, etc we still carried on, as we had to.

Our prayers go to those bereaved and injured. However we have to keep going. My father recants how a V-1 had him in his sights back in 1944 in the local park in west London where he lived. It missed him in the end by a few hundred yards but he thought that he was going to get blown up until the last few seconds. Dad was in Heavy Rescue in the war and dug people out of bombed houses...he has seen what H.E. can do to people and buildings. He is stoically resoluteful and said so on the phone last night. My mother's father, a WW1 veteran and post-WW1 veteran of Ireland, worked on the Underground in the war on the permanent way. His job involved dealing with bomb casulaties at Underground stations such as Balham. However he had seen too much in the first conflict and after a while he had had too much of the new carnage and resigned. So, damage to the transport infrastructure is nothing new, but we just carry on. However it is easy to say that and the present day rescue workers will no doubt feel as Grandad Baker did and be haunted forever.
Old 08-07-05, 15:43
3RD ECHELON WKSP

First off, my condolences to the British people on yesterdays tragic event in London.
While watching the television news this morning, I couldn't help but being a little astonished at some of the people that were being interviewed in Toronto. Of course, the media were asking the "what if" and "are you worried, scared" etc that it may happen here. I was suprised to hear the comments, as most people were saying really stupid things like "everyone loves Canadians", " it wouldn't happen here, as we a passive and kind people" etc etc.
I am sure that many of these people were your typical Liberal, hug a tree, Zen inspired know nothings who spend most of their time sipping double latte while discussing their rights to same sex marriage etc. What a bunch of crap.
It amazes me as to how stupid some Canadians can be.
I just read two interesting articles on terrorism which would scare the shit out of most.
One was on Wolfgang Droege, leader of the Heritage Front, the white supremisist movement in Canada and the fellow who aided CSIS in infiltrating the group, Grant Bristow. What became very evident in the fall of this group and that of the WAR (White Aryan Nation) was that there are many followers of the ideology preached by them without there being a direct connection.
This is the kind of thing that makes law and security enforcement officials shake in their boots; that of splinter organizations acting on their own, committing crimes and terrorist activities "in the name of."
This is what has become of Al Qaida (sp), as noted by some of the worlds top intellegence officials. There is no longer an official organization or group one is associated with, but, rather an endorsement of ideology with loose knit followers acting on their own.
The other article I read was a report from a government insider in the security business who reported that there are at least 50 known terrorist groups or individuals associated with these groups running around Canada. Who can sleep at night and just pretend that this doesn't exist?
I'm sorry, but I can see the day when people personal rights in a "free" society will eventually be eroded in the name of national security. Who wins then?
As far as I'm concerned, our immigration policy is garbage, as many of the people coming here shouldn't be allowed in the first place. Do we really wonder why the Americans are so worried about our careless attitude and sympathetic nature? Unfortunately, I can see a day that may come, where nobody will be allowed to travel here - no immigration or unwelcomed international citizens, other than those with appropriate clearances.
I have heard from a number of British people who have emmigrated to Canada in the last 30 years about the effects of an open immigrastion policy, such as that of the UK. It sounds to me that this system was implimented without much thought, or policing to help intigrate foreigners into "our" free society.
I am not a racist person, but as a WASP male living in Canada of British heritage, I can only sit here and become more of a minority whose rights get less and less everyday, due to the appeasement of special interest groups and "human rights" activists.
Point of fact- many of the so-called champions of human rights have come here from a place where they had none, or where they were pursecuted because of their criminal intentions or activities - my message; be happy that you are here to stand on your soapbox on the corner and peach how you are being violated by the Canadian government and our society at large.
At the risk of getting jumped on here, as far as I see it, many of these terror organizations are assisted by their fellow countrymen. To make this point clear, it is no different than the store owner in 1920's Chicago who turned a blind eye to the antics of the Mobster running rackets, for fear of repercussions.
What about cetain ethnic communities here in Toronto where shootings are an everyday occurance. And why? Because normal citizens ignore the drug dealer living next door, or "see nothing" when something goes down. Or the family who sponsors a well known terrorist when they come here for a "visit". You people are just as guilty: here it is called aiding and abetting. If the people would stand up and say no in their towns, cities, communities, it would be a big step into the elimination of crime and hatred we call terrorism.
Thats my rant of the day, I'm sure I'm gonna get it from someone...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 08-07-05, 16:11
RIP

Default I agree 100%

Chris,
I agree totally with your rant.I almost posted the same thoughts after a discussion at my daughters' grad party last weekend with family,but I deferred.
My question,innocently then,was"Has anyone noticed recent rants by immigrants with Canadian citizenship,crying about THEIR rights as citizens??What about oru rights?Are these people aware of something that we have lost perspective of, without screaming about our natural born rights??What's happening to us?Should we just crawl under a rock and let new citizens get away with it?Are the bureaucrats cowtowing to these people?I don't know,but I as one am getting fed up with it.Don't like how you're being treated here,break our laws, and you're outta here,first plane out.That's my feeling!!
Old 08-07-05, 23:09

Im really glad someone started this thread. Allow Me
to reply to this from a veryyyyyyyy southern point of
view. Please dont think that all of us here in the US
think or feel like our carpet baggers in washington d.c.
We dont. Our southern border (with Mexico) is the one
we worry about.Our feds wont even try to stop the
flow across that border, mind you Im not a bigot
but at 200yds an arab and a mexican is really hard to
tell apart.Here in arizona anyone of white extraction
is a minority. I live in a neighborhood that some of you
have described,its a damn rough place the only way
I live here is people know you shoot at me I will
repeat will shoot back.
Ah yes the nation we have those morons crawling
around like cock roaches.
Please remember alot of us have the same point of view
as you do,what you might hear on the news is coming
from a talking head,,,, not us
Patrick
Old 08-07-05, 23:18
M38A1 CDN3

Amen, Chris and Gary...my sentiments exactly.

Those who know me well are used to my ranting in a similar vein as did Chris.

The ultimate offensive move from a certain sect of East Indian people in a sub-division of Toronto was to attempt to enter a class action legal suit against their neighbours who barbecued steaks and such.

These landed immigrants felt that such action was a violation of their beliefs in that the meat of the holy cow was being burnt. To which I say, get stuffed you lot...if you don't like it, piss off to the River Ganges, go swimming and get typhoid!

(Wiser heads prevailed, the suit didn't go anywhere...but, still, the bloody nerve!)
Old 08-07-05, 23:30

Wow Were's my bbq how do ya'll like your steaks?
Patrick
Old 08-07-05, 23:44
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponysoldier
Wow Were's my bbq how do ya'll like your steaks?
Patrick
Verrry_Juicy_Fatty-Beefy-Slightly-Charred_on_Edges-Medium-Well ... can ya do it Pony?
Old 09-07-05, 00:00

Ah ha you want it nuked, No problem one medium
well coming up
Patrick
Ah did you want taters and mushrooms with that???
Old 09-07-05, 00:13
Dave Demorrow

first, to all people in england, good luck, and i hope you get each and every one of the frackers!!!

second, it may not be my place to tell the british there jobs, so im just making a sugestion.... it may be time to start hanging people from the tower of london again for something like this instead of feeding and houseing them for the rest of there lives. just a thought.

third, 99.9% of the US has NO issues with the people of canada. you have yout government and we have ours. but sometimes things that come from your government or at least people claiming to be from your government say mean and hurtfull things about out military and people. we need to look at the big picture and hang together or we will all hang alone. agree to disagree and then move on to the big picture. and no matter what you think canada is considered a target by groups such as hamas and others. you dont practice shareia law and so then you must die (in there eyes).

i have some friends in england and wish them nothing but the best. and happy hunting.
dave
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 09-07-05, 00:25

Personally I think its time stop playing by the rules,
and play their game and every bit as nasty.
Maybe if we sent Jr home minus his scalp they might
think different about it.
Patrick
Errrrrrrr sorry thats the Souix coming out......
Old 09-07-05, 00:26

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Thats my rant of the day, I'm sure I'm gonna get it from someone...
...not from this boy, Chris. I love differences in peoples, in cultures, but only under a common social umbrella. I believe the politically-correct elements which created the cult of 'multiculturalism' within traditional western societies have done us irreparable harm. Certainly, these attitudes espoused by our liberal 'betters' throughout the western world are not mirrored in the societies from which many of our immigrants come... I find all of this demeaning to my own heritage, yet I am arbitrarily labelled a racist if I object on any grounds.

Regards the war on terror, I also believe, albeit simplistically, that those who do not vocally side with us (ie the West) are giving the nutbars a quiet acquiescence to the rites of murder practiced by the latter. To use the vernacular - shit or get off the pot. Either stand with us, or go back to where you came from. If this offends some, I'm sorry... but I don't take it back. My family came here in 1786, and they built a country to suit them, not you; if you don't like it, or don't like us, you're free to leave. This ain't racism, people, this is a simple plea for the 'equal rights' the PC crowd seem to have granted to everyone but those of us who founded this country.

Regards the BBQ, where and when?! I'll have a large, rare rib-eye about 3/4" thick, and some good red wine to wash it down! If the neighbours don't like either, they can PISS OFF...

PS: Yappy just gave me shit for being insensitive... oi...
Old 09-07-05, 00:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponysoldier
Ah did you want taters and mushrooms with that???
Onions & mushrooms fried in olive oil, please!
Old 09-07-05, 00:35

Geoff
I would sooner be insensitive...... than dead.I can find
something to do with the rope when they are done
pissing up it too
Patrick
Old 09-07-05, 00:35

Quote:
Originally posted by alleramilitaria
... and happy hunting.
dave
That's why the Brits invented the SAS...
Old 09-07-05, 00:37

Ok fried it is....I fear we will need a keg....errrr
Patrick
Old 09-07-05, 00:46
Dave Demorrow

SAS, paras, royal marines, etc.... just leave some for delta.
they may like to have a live fire ex too.

notice i have not herd anything about GITMO today? whats up with the left today????
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 09-07-05, 00:57

Ah yes lets not forget delta force. The problem seems
to be just as it was in RVN you can not fight and win
against a non traditional force, We all are playing
by the rules at some point in time that has to end
Patrick
Old 09-07-05, 00:58
Commonwealth NOT Europe

When I can afford the air fare count me in for a steak too.

At the moment I'm mentally filing crosses into the ends of large-calibre soft-nose rounds (only mentally because our liberal wet -arsed bollock-less polititians have decreed that we aren't safe even with a spud-gun) ready for when they catch these cowardly wan**rs that don't have the guts to stand and fight in the open like men.

Let loose the 'covert operations' people, hunt them down, and then public hanging (slowly) drawing (over loose gravel and broken glass) and then quartering (with a blunt, rusty hacksaw blade) should follow. A few heads on spikes on London Bridge and we then have a deterrent for others. Barbaric - no, justice.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)