The Home Service.

R.
Old 29-11-04, 21:50
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

HIGHLAND LADDIE, by the Scottish National Pipe & Drum Corps and Military Band
Old 29-11-04, 21:54
Film maker, CMP addict

Default The Sound of Round

A pair of R1830s, courtesy of a PBY Catalina, followed by a mellow Merlin in a Mk. VIII Spitfire.
I'm slowly putting a CD together of these and other wonderful sounds.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 29-11-04, 21:55
MLU Administrator

Default Re: The Sound of Round

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
I'm slowly putting a CD together of these and other wonderful sounds.
Will that be sounds & sights combined?

H.
Old 29-11-04, 22:02
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Sights

No, this one is only the sounds. I've already made a sights 'n sounds - the Temora Aviation Museum Warbirds, available from the Temora Aviation Museum shop
It's in PAL only at this stage, although I'm quoting them for a NTSC one.
The format is widescreen, and sound is genuine full Dolby 5.1 surround.
It's had excellent reviews everywhere, and I just heard it has been sent to Alex Henshaw, famous Spitfire pilot and author of "Sigh for a Merlin", who was singing it's praises, which was quite pleasing!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 30-11-04, 02:38
Vets Dottir

Unhappy Nothing Military

Ah ... not fair you guys I have nothing military, patriotic, or even Canadian to listen to, unless its a Canadian radio or TV station. I hear my heater oscillating and muted thumps of thee neighbors kid on the other side of my wall. I can pretend their drumrolls or some such?

Hey ... how about some WW2 era tunes and tune singers? Especially Canadian talent, especially if they served WW2 would be awesome??????????????

Anyone anyone knows of?

Ma Karmen
Old 30-11-04, 07:28
Richard Notton

Default Re: Nothing Military

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hey ... how about some WW2 era tunes and tune singers? Especially Canadian talent, especially if they served WW2 would be awesome??????????????

Anyone anyone knows of?
TUNES????????

I have a very, very, very old valve wireless set, I suppose that'd be a "toob radio" on the far side of the Atlantic.

Having fixed the multitude of old and leaky capacitors and the aged and hugely out of spec resistors, coaxing it into life on The Home Service I heard an announcement by Alvar Lidell and then Mr. Chamberlain said this:

"I am speaking to you from the Cabinet Room at 10 Downing Street. This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final note, stating, that unless we heard from them by eleven o'clock, that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Poland, a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and consequently this county is at war with Germany.

You can imagine what a bitter blow it is to me that all my long struggle to win peace has failed. Yet I cannot believe that there is anything more or anything different that I could have done and that would have been more successful.

Up to the very last it would have been quite possible to arrange a peaceful and honorable settlement between Germany and Poland, but Hitler would not have it. He had evidently made up his mind to attack Poland whatever happened, and although he now says he put forward reasonable proposals which were rejected by the Poles, that is not a true statement. The proposals were never shown to the Poles nor to us, and although they were announced in the German broadcast on Thursday night, Hitler did not wait to bear comment on them, but ordered his troops to cross the Polish frontier next morning. His action shows convincingly that there is no chance of expecting that this man will ever give up his practice of using force to gain his will, and he. can only be stopped by force.

We and France are to-day, in fullfilment of our obligations, going to the aid of Poland, so bravely resisting this wicked and unprovoked attack on her people. We have a clear conscience, we have done all that any country could do to establish peace. The situation in which no word given by Germany's ruler could be trusted and no people or country could feel safe has become intolerable. Now we have resolved to finish it, I know you will all play your part with calmness and courage. At such a moment as this the assurances of support that we have received from the, Empire are a source of profound encouragement to us.

When I have finished speaking certain detailed announcements will be made on behalf of the Government. Give these your closest attention. The Government have made plans under which It will be possible to carry on the work of the nation in the days of stress and strain which may be ahead of us. These plans need your help you may be taking your part in the fighting Services or as a volunteer in one of the branches of civil defense. If so, you will report for duty in accordance with the instructions you have received. You may be engaged in work essential to the prosecution of war, or for the maintenance of the life of the people in factories, in transport, in public utility concerns, or in the supply of other necessaries of life. If so it is of vital importance that you should carry on with your job.

Now may God bless you all, and may he defend the right. For it is evil things that we shall be fighting, against brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution, and against them I am certain that Right will prevail."

At this point I lost the HT owing to a failure of the main reservoir capacitor, but I hope to have that fixed within 7 days now so I can hear what Prime Minister William Lyon McKenzie King has to say about it.

R.
Old 01-12-04, 05:19
West Coaster

Default Gloria

Carmen,

At least you have picked the great music played for the film "Fire Base Gloria" ... great flick! But don't forget the other 'Gloria'

Gloria, in te domine
Gloria, exultate
Gloria, Gloria
Oh Lord, loosen my lips

U2
October

Cheers
JD
Old 01-12-04, 23:31
Vets Dottir

Default Interesting.

Master R. ... I eagerly await for part two of your post ... (amazing words)

Regards, my fine tall friend, From PW/VD
Old 05-12-04, 20:12
Richard Notton

Default Re: Interesting.

Quote:
Master R. ... I eagerly await for part two of your post ... (amazing words)
Just got it fixed in time, you own PM Mr McKenzie King said this, possibly his mind made up after the loss of two Canadian women on the previously torpedoed SS Athenia:

"For months, indeed for years, the shadow of impending conflict in Europe has been ever present. Through these troubled years, no stone has been left unturned, no road unexplored in the patient search for peace. Unhappily for the world, Herr Hitler and the nazi regime in Germany have persisted in their attempt to extend their control over other peoples and countries, and to pursue their aggressive design in wanton disregard of all treaty obligations, and peaceful methods of adjusting international disputes. They have had to resort increasingly to agencies of deception, terrorism and violence. It is this reliance upon force, this lust for conquest, this determination to dominate throughout the world, which is the real cause of the war that today threatens the freedom of mankind.

This morning, the King (of England) speaking to his peoples at home and across the seas, appealed to all to make their own, the cause of freedom, which Britain again has taken up. Canada has already answered that call. On Friday the government, speaking on behalf of the Canadian people, announced that in the event of the United Kingdom becoming engaged in war in the effort to resist aggression, they would, as soon as parliament meets, seek its authority for effective co-operation by Canada at the side of Britain.

In what manner and to what extent Canada may most effectively be able to co-operate in the common cause is, as I have stated, something which parliament itself will have to decide. All I need to add to the moment is that Canada, as a free nation of the British Commonwealth, is bringing her co-operation voluntarily. Our effort will be voluntary.

The people of Canada will, I know, face the days of stress and strain which lies ahead with calm resolute and courage. There is no home in Canada, no family, and no individual whose fortunes and freedom are not bound up in the present struggle. I appeal to my fellow Canadians to unite in a national effort to save from destruction all that makes live itself worth living, and to preserve for future generations those liberties and institutions which others have bequeathed to us."

R.
Old 05-12-04, 21:43
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
HIGHLAND LADDIE, by the Scottish National Pipe & Drum Corps and Military Band
Oh Master Ball_Sunton_Winring_nay ... it is much to my surprize that I expect to be listening to that very same album/CD/whatever that you have. My Christmas present means access to many of the same audio and visuals that you so enjoy.

How delightful.

Old 05-12-04, 21:54
Vets Dottir

Default Master R.

Hello Master R.

Venerable_Dame Yappy appreciates the time you've been able to squeeze out of the so little you have to spare now, to reply and post.

This speech... parts one and two ... says so much in a nutshell about the issues of WW2, to me. These words should be taught to kids in school with thier Canadian, and World history lessons. Grade school, Middle School, Junior High, AND High school ... lest they forget having learned it.

Yes ... I was deeply moved and too many things and impacts, repercussions drift through my mind to express in a few words the signifigance for all of us, and our families, our lifestyles and daily life, of that war and the reaons and the after effects.

Big Big Big for ALL of us.

Venerable_Dame says
Old 05-12-04, 23:41
RIP

Default Vera Lynn Best Hits Album

Album given to me for nothing.Among the hits "White Cliffs of Dover","We'll Meet Again","When the lights come on Again",etc,etc,etc;.
Old 27-02-05, 20:58
Vets Dottir

Talking Listen up you Scots bloods

Listen to BBC Scotland Radio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscotland

Be sure to listen to the PIPELINE radio program listed Too bad we can't see their kilts but the pipes ... ah yesss... the pipes.

Old 27-02-05, 23:52
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Just got it fixed in time, you own PM Mr McKenzie King said this, possibly his mind made up after the loss of two Canadian women on the previously torpedoed SS Athenia:

"For months, indeed for years, the shadow of impending conflict in Europe has been ever present. Through these troubled years, no stone has been left unturned, no road unexplored in the patient search for peace. Unhappily for the world, Herr Hitler and the nazi regime in Germany have persisted in their attempt to extend their control over other peoples and countries, and to pursue their aggressive design in wanton disregard of all treaty obligations, and peaceful methods of adjusting international disputes. They have had to resort increasingly to agencies of deception, terrorism and violence. It is this reliance upon force, this lust for conquest, this determination to dominate throughout the world, which is the real cause of the war that today threatens the freedom of mankind.

This morning, the King (of England) speaking to his peoples at home and across the seas, appealed to all to make their own, the cause of freedom, which Britain again has taken up. Canada has already answered that call. On Friday the government, speaking on behalf of the Canadian people, announced that in the event of the United Kingdom becoming engaged in war in the effort to resist aggression, they would, as soon as parliament meets, seek its authority for effective co-operation by Canada at the side of Britain.

In what manner and to what extent Canada may most effectively be able to co-operate in the common cause is, as I have stated, something which parliament itself will have to decide. All I need to add to the moment is that Canada, as a free nation of the British Commonwealth, is bringing her co-operation voluntarily. Our effort will be voluntary.

The people of Canada will, I know, face the days of stress and strain which lies ahead with calm resolute and courage. There is no home in Canada, no family, and no individual whose fortunes and freedom are not bound up in the present struggle. I appeal to my fellow Canadians to unite in a national effort to save from destruction all that makes live itself worth living, and to preserve for future generations those liberties and institutions which others have bequeathed to us."

R.
History tells us that McKenzie King was a blithering, dithering Liberal idiot who took solace in seances with his dead mother with regard to his Parliamentary decisions. This peculiar affliction of his was reinforced by his confimatory consultation with his pet dog.

He was an opportunistic conniving political animal who cared less about Canada's troops in battle. Indeed, one of his Cabinet Ministers, Ralston, (Minister of Defence) was roundly and enthusiastically booed during an address to Canadian troops on the Continent.

We, as a colony, are not, in hindsight, amused.
Old 28-02-05, 00:25
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
G . L . O . R . I . A ......g.l.o.r.i....Aaaaa

JOHNNY IS A JOKER ....

CFRW Winterpeg radio Station

Ma
Listening to the following, on vinyl, yet!:

Waldo de los Rios' compositions of Mozart:

Serenade No 13 in G Major, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Aria and Overture from the Marriage of Figaro

Concerto No 21 in C Major for Piano and Orchestra, 2nd movement, "Andante"

Variations on "O Cara Armonia" from the Magic Flute

Also: Beethoven's 9th Symphony in D Minor-"Choral" 4th movement "Ode to Joy"

Schubert: 8th Symphony in B Minor-"Unfinished" 1st movement (Allegro Moderato)

Mozart: Symphony No 40 in G Minor, 1st movement, (Allegro Molto)

Etc, etc, etc...aren't you sorry you asked?

Old 28-02-05, 01:46
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: Interesting.

King himself was roundly booed by Canadian troops during a visit to them in England.

BTW, Donald Jack does a WONDERFUL job of portraying King doing walkies/consultations with his dog and mummy in the book HITLER VS ME. It's the last of a long series which is near and dear to me (I have them all).

G.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
History tells us that McKenzie King was a blithering, dithering Liberal idiot who took solace in seances with his dead mother with regard to his Parliamentary decisions. This peculiar affliction of his was reinforced by his confimatory consultation with his pet dog.

He was an opportunistic conniving political animal who cared less about Canada's troops in battle. Indeed, one of his Cabinet Ministers, Ralston, (Minister of Defence) was roundly and enthusiastically booed during an address to Canadian troops on the Continent.

Old 28-02-05, 02:52
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
King himself was roundly booed by Canadian troops during a visit to them in England.

BTW, Donald Jack does a WONDERFUL job of portraying King doing walkies/consultations with his dog and mummy in the book HITLER VS ME. It's the last of a long series which is near and dear to me (I have them all).

G.

He was still a shameful twit.
Old 28-02-05, 03:51
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
Listening to the following, on vinyl, yet!:

Waldo de los Rios' compositions of Mozart:

Serenade No 13 in G Major, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Aria and Overture from the Marriage of Figaro

Concerto No 21 in C Major for Piano and Orchestra, 2nd movement, "Andante"

Variations on "O Cara Armonia" from the Magic Flute

Also: Beethoven's 9th Symphony in D Minor-"Choral" 4th movement "Ode to Joy"

Schubert: 8th Symphony in B Minor-"Unfinished" 1st movement (Allegro Moderato)

Mozart: Symphony No 40 in G Minor, 1st movement, (Allegro Molto)

Etc, etc, etc...aren't you sorry you asked?

YES ... but only because I don't have that music here on VINYL to listen to ... only bad boombox sounds on radio Do you have a Victrolla too???

You Bugger
Old 28-02-05, 04:36
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
YES ... but only because I don't have that music here on VINYL to listen to ... only bad boombox sounds on radio Do you have a Victrolla too???

You Bugger
Yeah... my Victrola doesn't need batteries, either...just wind 'er up, insert steel needle, plop down 33 1/3 platter...and listen.

Trivia...what was the dog's name who looked into the horn of the Victrola set, with his ears cocked? His Master's Voice.

Reader's of this Forum should twig onto the dog's name, since it's someone's vehicle name.
Old 28-02-05, 05:33
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
Yeah... my Victrola doesn't need batteries, either...just wind 'er up, insert steel needle, plop down 33 1/3 platter...and listen.

Trivia...what was the dog's name who looked into the horn of the Victrola set, with his ears cocked? His Master's Voice.

Reader's of this Forum should twig onto the dog's name, since it's someone's vehicle name.
Well Master Skagman ... I Googled and all I could see was "NIPPER" ... I have NEVER heard of a vehicle called a NIPPER??? I'll leave this to someone with the correct answer who knows it's correct

THINK SPRING NO SNOW ... soon you shall be able to drive your pride and joy ... and hopefully I'll get to ride as a passenger???
Old 28-02-05, 06:13
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
Well Master Skagman ... I Googled and all I could see was "NIPPER" ... I have NEVER heard of a vehicle called a NIPPER??? I'll leave this to someone with the correct answer who knows it's correct

THINK SPRING NO SNOW ... soon you shall be able to drive your pride and joy ... and hopefully I'll get to ride as a passenger???
Ohhh...you're so close with that name...look around the Forum and check out the respondant's attributes at the bottom of their post.:idea:

See PM to Sunray where I described getting all canvas bits and pieces out of storage,(notwithstanding still trying to figure out hip ring canvas cover attachment configuration) prior to anticipating getting the beauty on the road. Now look what that bitch Mother Nature is doin'...10-20 cm snow Monday, same on Tuesday.

Ya ain't gettin' a ride in my CMP while the weather is as it is...besides, you wouldn't be able to reach the windscreen in order to scrape off the frost. (Mark Tonner...note to you).
Old 28-02-05, 07:22
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
Ohhh...you're so close with that name...look around the Forum and check out the respondant's attributes at the bottom of their post.:idea:

Mr. Skagman ... perhaps tomorrow, if someone hasn't Victor-iously come up with the correct "name that doggie" name ... then I may be forced to start reading peoples signatures and looking for ???? eh? Sorry my friend, I fear Victrola's doggie, and Victrola, were both BEFORE my time ... although you seem to know these things so you must be rather elderly old fart by now? Not fair to expect a youngster, such as me wee bittie self, to know such things

Quote:
See PM to Sunray where I described getting all canvas bits and pieces out of storage,(notwithstanding still trying to figure out hip ring canvas cover attachment configuration) prior to anticipating getting the beauty on the road. Now look what that bitch Mother Nature is doin'...10-20 cm snow Monday, same on Tuesday.
Ah yes .. the snow that makes the joyous ride a no-go at this time of year ... but as I reassured you ... SPRING WILL SPRING ... and I empathize with your impatience to be on the road again ... hmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Ya ain't gettin' a ride in my CMP while the weather is as it is...besides, you wouldn't be able to reach the windscreen in order to scrape off the frost. (Mark Tonner...note to you).
Please Mr. Skagman ,,,, do NOT encourage the OF-HBM-O ... and I'll have you know I've been saving an extra snow-scraper for your windshield should I need to assist in snow and ice removal ... now I'm not quite sure that I shall scrape windshields should you continue to taunt me and encourage ... well ... : those who enjoy taunting me. (and he's been so pleasant, but I fear now that you're egging him on there will be "No more Mr. Nice guy" to Little Miss Ma and that shall force me to pick up my frying pan in readiness to swing at his slings and arrows again ... then perhaps his ankles ..... (you make this difficult ... for after all, the man still holds possession of my treasured records and i really must be ... wisely cautious, at least until my records are safely in me wee bittie hands again )

(seriously ... it must be a real drag to have to wait out the snowy/icy weather as you really haven't had your new baby all that long yet!!! Big bummer.)
Old 28-02-05, 08:49
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Interesting.

Quote:
History tells us that McKenzie King was a blithering, dithering Liberal idiot . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quite so, however, history cannot be changed.

I understand Mr. Churchill and others, even KG VI, had to apply some pressure. . . . . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 28-02-05, 14:47
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
Please Mr. Skagman ,,,, do NOT encourage the OF-HBM-O ... and I'll have you know I've been saving an extra snow-scraper for your windshield should I need to assist in snow and ice removal ... now I'm not quite sure that I shall scrape windshields should you continue to taunt me and encourage ... well ... : those who enjoy taunting me. (and he's been so pleasant, but I fear now that you're egging him on there will be "No more Mr. Nice guy" to Little Miss Ma and that shall force me to pick up my frying pan in readiness to swing at his slings and arrows again ... then perhaps his ankles ..... (you make this difficult ... for after all, the man still holds possession of my treasured records and i really must be ... wisely cautious, at least until my records are safely in me wee bittie hands again
Dear MA ;

1. - a C15A-WIRE-5 does not come with a 'step ladder', so - a) how in hell are you suppose to get into it, let alone - b) scrape the windshields

2. - ME! a 'Mr. Nice Guy' - obviously you have me confused with someone else

3. - What bloody 'treasured records' are you talking about????

4. - Pan, Frying, for the use of - is nothing more than a utensil used for the domestic chore of cooking/preparing food - why should I be afraid of said item, I know quite well how to use the said utensil - I'll have you know that I'm quite a good cook in my own right.

5. - Now run along and play Little Miss, and leave the grown-ups alone.........

Old 28-02-05, 17:15
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Dear MA ;

1. - a C15A-WIRE-5 does not come with a 'step ladder', so - a) how in hell are you suppose to get into it, let alone - b) scrape the windshields

2. - ME! a 'Mr. Nice Guy' - obviously you have me confused with someone else

3. - What bloody 'treasured records' are you talking about????

4. - Pan, Frying, for the use of - is nothing more than a utensil used for the domestic chore of cooking/preparing food - why should I be afraid of said item, I know quite well how to use the said utensil - I'll have you know that I'm quite a good cook in my own right.

5. - Now run along and play Little Miss, and leave the grown-ups alone.........

Hmmm ... (NOW see what you have done Master Skagman? The creature is incorrigible. Perhaps a little Vegemite in him will improve his cantankerous contrariness. I think I shall send him some. I think I shall also send him some buffalo oil to season his frying pans, just to be nice. )

Old 28-02-05, 17:23
Vets Dottir

Default PS

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/king...3050201_e.html

WOOF MacKenzie King and his favorite Channel

Old 28-02-05, 18:42
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
Hmmm ... (NOW see what you have done Master Skagman? The creature is incorrigible. Perhaps a little Vegemite in him will improve his cantankerous contrariness. I think I shall send him some. I think I shall also send him some buffalo oil to season his frying pans, just to be nice. )

...and by the way, why the hell would I have said 'treasured records' when I don't even own a bloody record player anymore....and I told you, go play and leave the grown-ups alone.......

Old 28-02-05, 19:02
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Whaddareya Listenin' to?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
...and by the way, why the hell would I have said 'treasured records' when I don't even own a bloody record player anymore....and I told you, go play and leave the grown-ups alone.......

Perhaps our Master Skagman has a spare Victrola and a record or two to loan you? Ask him?

BTW ... there are absolutely no grownups dwelling in this dwelling. Just cats and kids gone mad And yore not grownup at-all at-all ... I finally realized that you have that premature aging dis-ease ... yore just a youngun with grey hair and wrinkles (perhaps from the plain Exports? ) !