Old 28-02-05, 18:04
Vets Dottir

Default FYI

Quote:
Global Anti-Smoking Pact Goes Into Effect

Sun Feb 27, 8:56 AM ET

Health - Reuters

By Stephanie Nebehay

GENEVA (Reuters) - A global treaty aimed at dissuading children from smoking and helping adults kick the habit came into force on Sunday with the United Nations (news - web sites) saying it could save millions of lives.

The World Health Organization (news - web sites) (WHO) applauded the strong warnings on cigarette packages and the eventual ban on tobacco advertising and sponsorship laid down in the world's first international public health treaty.

"It's entry into force is a demonstration of governments' commitment to reduce death and illness from tobacco use," said WHO Director-General Lee Jong-wook in a statement to mark the event.

Tobacco, the second leading cause of preventable deaths globally after hypertension, kills 4.9 million people a year, the U.N. agency says.

And the annual death toll from tobacco-related diseases -- lung cancer, heart attacks and cardiovascular diseases -- could soar to 10 million by 2020, with 70 percent of the deaths in developing countries, it adds.

The treaty, known as the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, gives members three years to slap strong health warnings on tobacco packages and five years to ban advertising, promotion and sponsorship.

It also recommends tax increases on tobacco products, a crackdown on smuggling, and reducing exposure to second-hand smoke.

Approved by the WHO's 192 member states in May 2003, the pact became law on Sunday, 90 days after the 40th state had ratified it.

It will only carry legal weight in those countries which have ratified it, now numbering 57. In total, 167 countries have signed the pact -- but have not necessarily sent it to parliament for ratification.

LOBBYING

WHO officials and activists say the powerful tobacco industry is lobbying intensively to restrict the number of countries applying the treaty, including the United States which has signed up but not yet sent it to the Senate.

"The tobacco industry wants to be free to sell and market their deadly products in such a way that they have more and more profits. This is the only language the tobacco industry knows," Vera Luiza da Costa e Silva, director of the WHO's Tobacco Free Initiative, told journalists.

"In Brazil, my country, the tobacco industry is furiously lobbying the Congress and the Senate in order not to get the treaty ratified. They are using the tobacco farmers to make the case, saying that they will lose their jobs."

Activists accuse the Bush administration, which signed the pact last May, of having worked hard to dilute it.

"U.S. ratification of the treaty would send a strong message to the rest of the world that we will not support these efforts and instead put protection of public health ahead of tobacco industry interests," the U.S.-based Tobacco Free Kids lobby group said.

Douglas Bettcher, treaty coordinator, was upbeat. "We are happy to report that industry is not winning this game."

Some of the largest tobacco growers -- India, Japan, Pakistan, Thailand and Turkey -- as well as cigarette producing countries such as Britain, Germany, the Netherlands and Turkey are among those which ratified have the treaty, he said.
So when will alcohol, pets, fatty-foods, and sugar go the same way ::
Old 28-02-05, 18:41
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Stuff'em - I'm still smoking and ain't stopping for any treaty. In the song 'Me and Bobby Magee' they said "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" - at this rate we'll soon be totally free!

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 28-02-05, 18:56
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Stuff'em - I'm still smoking and ain't stopping for any treaty. In the song 'Me and Bobby Magee' they said "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" - at this rate we'll soon be totally free!

Hey ... How far will they go and what are they gonna do? .. take away our lungs? I think NOT! but ya never know.... best wear armour and be ready to flick yore Bic in the face of the enemy
Old 28-02-05, 22:10
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Quite so.
Of course being one of the most heavily taxed nations for tobacco, should we all stop tomorrow the Govt would be instantly bankrupted.

Then of course who is going to keep, feed and care for the 10 million extra people, previously referenced, in their now extended old age?

Bollocks (capital B, two L's) springs to mind.

R.
Old 28-02-05, 22:26
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Quite so.
Of course being one of the most heavily taxed nations for tobacco, should we all stop tomorrow the Govt would be instantly bankrupted.

Then of course who is going to keep, feed and care for the 10 million extra people, previously referenced, in their now extended old age?

Bollocks (capital B, two L's) springs to mind.

R.
Ah Master R., I DO so miss your daily delightful posts ... thats just so's you know you're missed!

Yes I agree ... do away with legal taxable tobacco and we'd all be in trouble.

PW/VD
Old 28-02-05, 22:31
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: re: Richard

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Master R. you would be surprized at just how hairy Master Sunray IS these days of course the hair color makes me think of mercury spilling through his hair follicles ... silver fox
Hmmmmmm, in a strange case of reversal, my girlie hairdresser has recently departed leaving me with the desired, and convieniently shampoo saving, No.1 and squared-off cut that I can readily remove the blasting dust from daily.

As for Silver Fox, I've been there for ages; also, its a famous A4 (60017) (31/12/35) and sister construction to the never beaten record holder Mallard (60022) (31/3/38). My co-nationals will have no trouble with this conundrum, the rest of you will have to Google it. (UK Google will save time as will "A4 60017" or just "Gresley"). . . . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 28-02-05, 22:38
Richard Notton

Quote:
Ah Master R., I DO so miss your daily delightful posts ... thats just so's you know you're missed!
OH! PW/VD

Thanks awfully!

Early home for the haircut and bugger-all on TV.
Old 28-02-05, 22:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Richard

Quote:
Hmmmmmm, in a strange case of reversal, my girlie hairdresser has recently departed leaving me with the desired, and convieniently shampoo saving, No.1 and squared-off cut that I can readily remove the blasting dust from daily.
This I have to see....
Old 28-02-05, 22:42

Quote:
Early home for the haircut and bugger-all on TV.
There was bugger-all on TV the moment they invented it... which is why they invented VHS and then DVD...
Old 28-02-05, 22:57
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Richard

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
This I have to see....
Your wish is my command, oh esteemed and revered Rayningbinn-Allsuntonwall.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
cut.jpg  
Old 28-02-05, 23:04
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Richard

Quote:

R.
Oh Dear me Master R., that looks EXACTLY like Master Sunray!
Old 28-02-05, 23:14
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Richard

Quote:
Oh Dear me Master R., that looks EXACTLY like Master Sunray!
Oh dear indeed, I had a terrible premonition that might well be the case.

I need some more of these I think.

However, at least I have one of these and one of those.

R
Attached Thumbnails
desk.jpg  
Old 28-02-05, 23:33

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Richard

Quote:

R.
Good god, man, that's not short! Better not let ME around you with a pair of clippers...

I'm starting to look like you USED to, except with fur on my face as well. Have to cut it when PW ain't looking - if I stuff her full of Bailey's, she might not even notice...
Old 28-02-05, 23:50

Quote:
As for Silver Fox, I've been there for ages; also, its a famous A4 (60017) (31/12/35) and sister construction to the never beaten record holder Mallard (60022) (31/3/38). My co-nationals will have no trouble with this conundrum, the rest of you will have to Google it. (UK Google will save time as will "A4 60017" or just "Gresley"). . . . . . . . . . . .

Hmm,

R you know that there was only one line, and it runs from Paddington to Bristol, those LNER chaps were a bit Johnnie come lately, City of Truo being the first on Hatton Bank if I recall with a down Ocean Mails express.

Nice Barnet by the way

GWB me thinks you have to be on a charge

Pete
Old 01-03-05, 00:03
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Richard

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Good god, man, that's not short! Better not let ME around you with a pair of clippers...
Hey, you cheeky monkey; have some respect for your elders.

So short I can see my brains showing through, well; I think its my brains. :

R.
Old 01-03-05, 00:08
Vets Dottir

Default Hmmmmmmm

Well Master R.,

I haven't "googled" on this one yet, but it sure sounds like like a train or some such? Thats a wild guess after not really reading through to solve this mysterious "Silver Fox" ... unfortunately I have to get back to cookin' tonites "requested" Lima-Dinna and aplphebetizing G's library :
Old 01-03-05, 00:38
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Hmm,

R you know that there was only one line, and it runs from Paddington to Bristol, those LNER chaps were a bit Johnnie come lately, City of Truo being the first on Hatton Bank if I recall with a down Ocean Mails express.
Ah, the GWR indeed. That pillar of engineering excellence I. K. Brunell and the revered Churchward. However, SNG's creation did make a mighty 202km/hr on 3/7/38 (for the new-fangled metricated-bots) although it had the non-A4 standard demon tweak of a Kylchap exhaust, and somewhat mullered the centre big-end in the process.
Quote:
Nice Barnet by the way
Thanks again. The necessary scenario resulting from the best efforts of Mr Magirus and Mr Deutz in the grit propelling stakes, although they are recalcitrant to get their asses into gear in the early morning -2ºC we have been seeing even after a whiff of the hard stuff in the shape of a puff of ether. I think 4K hours means an injector service needed. . . . . . . . . .

The buggers have put Cherryade up too by 30%, the last 2000L was quite expensive, Mr M & D have a propensity for the stuff barely surpassed by my 623's RR lump for the other fire-water.

Quote:
GWB me thinks you have to be on a charge
I've been on one of those recently and apparently discharged with ignominity.

Yet again, Bollocks (capital B, two L's) seems quite appropriate.

Maybe I should publish the papers on my web site, would be an eye-opener and cause an intake of breath in certain quarters.

Nice to hear from you again Pete.

R.
Old 01-03-05, 00:46
Richard Notton

Default Re: Hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Well Master R.,

I haven't "googled" on this one yet, but it sure sounds like like a train or some such?
Very good, you're on the right track; errrr, I'm sorry, I'll type that again.

You're on the right line, errrrrr, sorry.

Oh dear.

You're on the correct thought-process.

Quote:
and aplphebetizing G's library :
Well, you'll not get far spelling like that, that frightfully nice Mr. Ball wont be able to find a thing.

R.
Old 01-03-05, 00:48
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I've been on one of those recently and apparently discharged with ignominity.

Yet again, Bollocks (capital B, two L's) seems quite appropriate.

Maybe I should publish the papers on my web site, would be an eye-opener and cause an intake of breath in certain quarters.
That's what happens when one stick up his head above the mowing line, as we say in Dutch. Not only a short hair cut when ducking just in time back into the mediocre crowd, but also an injust bollocking.

I'm off to bed now, but would love to hear the full story sometime soon.

H.
Old 01-03-05, 01:04
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Very good, you're on the right track; errrr, I'm sorry, I'll type that again.

You're on the right line, errrrrr, sorry.

Oh dear.

You're on the correct thought-process.

Well, you'll not get far spelling like that, that frightfully nice Mr. Ball wont be able to find a thing.

R.
How bout, "You're getting warm." ???

Ah ... then could it be a train-line or train-route then?

PW/VD/MY
Old 01-03-05, 01:28
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmmmmmmm

Quote:
How bout, "You're getting warm." ???
How about, put some more coal on the fire?
Quote:
Ah ... then could it be a train-line or train-route then?
Warm-ish.

Go Google Sir Nigel Gresley, and remember "A4". . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 01-03-05, 02:34

Default Re: Re: Hmmmmmmm

Quote:
LMAOPMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaisus, I can't find anything in the kitchen anymore either, and the bloody living room is rearranged every time I come home from work. Yikes....
Old 15-04-05, 16:49
Vets Dottir

Default Hide 'em

In the continueing saga ...

Quote:
Fri, April 15, 2005

Hide-the-cigs law won't get the job done

By LAURIE MUSTARD

Time for a rant. The Aug. 15 hide-the-ciggies law is idiotic. For all the difference it will make, it's not worth the effort.

Not that I'm opposed to discouraging kids from smoking, but this seems a lot more like posturing than prevention.

I smoked two packs a day for several years. I didn't start because cigarettes called to me from the shelves.

I started for a variety of reasons, all relating to role models, peer influence, curiosity and even just for the hell of it. I was 17. It was another way of feeling like I wasn't a kid anymore.

It was a prop, it was fun, and once I started, I liked everything about it. I'd still be smoking and loving it if I hadn't thought my way through it.

Out of sight, out of mind? The packaging will be out of sight, but smoking won't.

Education is the key in the war against smoking. Leave the cigarettes where they are, in plain view, but put a big, I mean big, sign in front of them, with huge lettering warning, "SMOKING CAUSES CANCER, HEART DISEASE, EMPHYSEMA, A MILLION OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS, INCLUDING DEATH. ENJOY!"

Then have an e-mail address available for the kids to ask of the government, "SO WHY DO YOU STILL SELL THEM?"

If hiding life-threatening products is going to become the norm, we're going to have some pretty empty stores.

I checked out your average service station-type convenience store yesterday and everywhere I looked I saw death and destruction.

Endless junk food -- chips, sweets, candies -- and drinks (pop, fruit and otherwise) that are pretty much pure sugar. Very little if anything that supports or promotes a healthy, nutritious lifestyle.

Hello heart disease

Pump that stuff in for a few years and hello heart disease, hello cancer, hello diabetes, arthritis, obesity ... yadda yadda yadda.

Picture the shelves of your average big box grocery store if everything dangerous to your health had to be hidden away, including a good chunk of the meat department. Barren.

"But food isn't addictive!" some might say.

Oh yeah? You think quitting smoking is tough, try radically changing your diet. And just like quitting smoking, it's way harder for some people to ignore those cravings than others.

Education -- the earlier in life, the better -- is the key. Then there's the role model thing. You want to help your kids, brothers, sisters, friends ... whatever ... resist the temptation to start? Don't smoke in front of them. Quit.

Set an example. I haven't met one smoker who wants their child to start smoking. Responsible behaviour definitely makes a difference.

Government ... put fewer cigarettes on the shelves, make them more expensive. Make just getting them a pain. As for the junk food on the shelves, raise the standards of what can be produced, create higher standards for what retailers can sell.

I feel the word Nazi coming at me any minute now, but common sense tells us we have to find ways to improve our quality of life rather than just maintain the status quo and hide the stuff we don't want people to think about.

They take pain killers/anti-inflammatories off the market that may lead to heart/health problems, but hide a sure killer behind a curtain, and sell on.

Brilliant. The kids will be smiling at this one.
Old 08-06-05, 19:10
Vets Dottir

Hi People,

This is for those interested in the continueing saga ... K.

Quote:
Wed, June 8, 2005

Province wins 1st smoke fight

By CP

The Manitoba government won the first legal battle over its anti-smoking law Tuesday, but opponents say they will continue their fight to have the law struck down as unconstitutional.

Finley Michaud, a restaurant owner in Selkirk, north of Winnipeg, pleaded guilty to letting customers smoke and failing to post no-smoking signs in an incident last fall.

Michaud, the first business owner to be convicted under the smoking law, was ordered to pay $1,560 in fines and surcharges.

Theresa Oswald, Manitoba's healthy living minister, said the government will continue to issue fines and enforce the law.

"There have been, unfortunately, a few incidents of repeated non-compliance. And even after warnings were issued, that continued," Oswald said.

"Although there is a vocal minority out there, we find that the majority of Manitobans are complying with the law and indeed supportive of the law."

Michaud's partner, Leslie Dumas, faces similar charges and is scheduled to appear in court at the end of the month.

News of the conviction came as a surprise to Gary Desrosiers, a bar owner in Brunkild. But he added the conviction won't deter him and other rural bar owners from trying to overturn the law.

"Clearly to us the law is unfair and we believe unconstitutional," he said. "And we're going to continue fighting regardless."

The constitutional challenge will be heard this summer during the trial of Robert Jenkinson, a bar owner in Treherne.
Old 14-09-05, 20:10
Vets Dottir

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to have a good smoke! Manitobans are creative thinkers! They also bring new meanings to the expression, 'Holy Smokes"

Quote:
Manitoba jail bans tea

WINNIPEG (CP) - A Manitoba jail has stopped serving tea because some inmates were using tea bags to make cigarettes.

Smoking has been banned at the Headingley Correctional Centre near Winnipeg since November 2003, but that hasn't stopped some inmates from finding creative ways to get their fix. All they need is a dried-out tea bag and some nicotine chewing gum.

"The gum is boiled and there's a nicotine residue that's removed and dried and then sprinkled on the redried tea bag leaves, and then rolled," jail superintendent Cathy Sandney said Monday.

Jail officials were surprised inmates would go through the painstaking process to get a smoke, Sandney said, because it can take up to two days to make one cigarette.

The jail stopped serving tea last week, but is looking at offering instant tea - which has no bags.

The inmates' creativity already caused a stir earlier this year when officials discovered some were using the thin pages of Bibles to roll homemade cigarettes.

That prompted the jail to stop making the book widely available in living quarters. Inmates wanting a Bible must now ask for it from chaplains, who assess whether the Scripture will be read or burned.
Old 15-09-05, 04:33
Bluebell

Default Support for Keith

I'm with you Keith. I have no tollerance for the habit although I grew up with a Dad who smoked more than anyone I've ever met. The ceilings in the house were always yellow from it. The thing is a smoker cannot keep the dangers of his habit to himself. the other guy can choose not to have a drink or a sugar doughnut , but he doesn't get to choose when someone else lights up

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 18-09-05, 06:26
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Support for Keith

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Eades
I'm with you Keith. I have no tollerance for the habit although I grew up with a Dad who smoked more than anyone I've ever met. The ceilings in the house were always yellow from it. The thing is a smoker cannot keep the dangers of his habit to himself. the other guy can choose not to have a drink or a sugar doughnut , but he doesn't get to choose when someone else lights up
Hi Lynn

This is EXACTLY why I opt for a win/win in the way of "freedom of choice" ... the business owner, I feel, should be free to choose who he/she will cater to ... smokers or non-smokers ... how fair is it for non-smokers to harrass and pressure a smoking establishment to schange their rules to cater to 'special non-smokers" requests? ... OR for that matter, a smoker to rail at the rules and demand and harass/pressure a non-smoking establishment to give in to smokers, just because the person wants to frequent that business???

Please ... lets be fair ... and leave the buiness owner to decide whose interests he/she will cater to.

If you are a smoker and CHOOSE to enter a non-smoking environment, then i feel the smoker has got to 'suck-it-up and suck back that smoke outside, and quit bitching, in respect of the business and establishment, and customers it caters to ... whilst visa versa ... the non-smoker should also choose to not frequent an establishment if smoking is an issue, or else suck back the 2nd hand smoke and quit your bitching because YOU chose to eneter a smoking establishment.,... and not harrass the owner and deny it's smoking customers a right to choose.

Choose your establishment!

As a smoker ...
As a non-smoker ...

You who rebel at the opposite preference are ideally expecting and demanding a business to cater to YOUR preferential needs/wants and don't give a crap about anyone else (selfish)

The BEAUTY of freedom to choose ... is freedom from discrimination and harrassment from those who want 'special treatment" ...

Dammit folks ... quit your dammed bitching and only go to establishments that you choose, if you choose to enter an establishment that caters to things that you deem unhealthy or unwanted ... don't bloody GO THERE!!!! Leave the business alone ... and stop expecting preferential treatment.

PO'ed Ma yappy ... says ... stop being so dammed selfish and expect everyone else to fall in to your particular habits ... let freedom to choose happen and delight in that freedom, because it exists for you as well ...

PS: I grant you ... that public areas where non-smokers AND smokers MUST congregate or do business should be smoke free ... I bend to that ... but as to private businesses? Gimmie a break ... choose and freedom to choose ... enter KNOWING what you choose to eneter and leave the establishment BE.
Old 07-10-05, 18:02
Vets Dottir

Hi all,

Here's a little story from fox news ... maybe this guy puffing was from BC?

Quote:
Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Pennsylvania man, scheduled for a hearing on drug charges, decided he couldn't wait — and sparked up in the courthouse bathroom, police say.

Luzerne County (search) Deputy Sheriff Ryan Maye told the Times-Leader of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., that he first heard the rustle of a plastic baggie coming from the next stall at about 10:45 a.m. EDT Tuesday.

Then Maye heard the sound of a lighter being struck. Within seconds, the smell of roasting marijuana filled the men's room of the magnificent neo-classical Luzerne County Courthouse in Wilkes-Barre.

"I banged on the door and ordered him to come out," Maye told the paper.

From the stall emerged a sheepish Nickolai Cinchock, 32, who was due for an 11 a.m. hearing on a recent arrest of theft and drug charges. Cinchock was tucking a pipe back into his pocket, according to Maye.

Maye and another deputy patted Cinchock down and found, in addition to marijuana, two containers with 49 Xanax (search) pills inside.

Since all parties involved were already in the courthouse, the arraignment didn't take long, and Cinchock was sent to the Luzerne County Correctional Facility down the street pending $1,000 bail.

He was given a hearing next Thursday on the new charges. There was no indication whether he planned to smoke pot before that hearing as well
Old 07-10-05, 22:58
Film maker, CMP addict

Default I suspect

...that government bans on smoking in buildings and other areas are driven more from fear of future litigation "you didn't stop us from passively smoking" than from anything else. After all, consider the amount of tax they rip off people's vices like tobacco and alcohol.
They've obviously decided on balance that these bans will make them look responsible while not actually curbing tobacco revenue.

I'm happy to have a situation where I can choose to go or not go into a smoking environment. I've managed (mostly) to be able to stay clear of them.

The exceptions would be places where people don't have a choice, like airliners and public transport.

OK - hopping off soap box now.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 07-10-05, 23:15

I used to be a smoker and do not mind to this day whether folk smoke or not as long as they concider the other folk in the group.

When I was a smoker I, along with a friend, were sharing a motel room when we were both at an out of town seminar. Now at this time my friend Ray did not smoke and I did. I arrived first at the hotel and when told we were allocated a non smoking room I immediatly swapped for a smoking room.

WHY you ask would I want a smoking room when my mate did not smoke and I had no intention of smoking in the room because of it. Because then I had a choise of whether I did or not and I was not restricted by a silly rule.

But the way I look at it the laws about smoking are in place because a lot of smokers have no concideration for other folk and there are a lot of non smokers who also have no concideration for those that do smoke. To me both groups have rights and both groups should learn to be tolerant to the other folk as well.

Once again it is really the few who have spoiled it for the rest.

cheers
Cliff