MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-02-11, 08:06

Default 1 ton trailer I.D.

I have recently started to tidy up a trailer that I have had for many years and am not sure what make it is and where it was made, I have looked at pictures of Cories and Sankies but they do not match, the hub appears to be similar to a Humber and various parts of the trailer have a FV part number.
Can you help?
Regards
Jim S.
Attached Thumbnails
Shed and military gear 007.jpg   Shed and military gear 025.jpg   trailer i.d. 001.jpg  
Old 17-02-11, 10:58

Where is the rest of it?
Can you give me the FV no? It is not real clear. Most of the "50's Brit trailers seem to start with FV2xxx, so this could just be a spare part no. which are usually stamped and often start with FV.
Be tomorrow before I can go out and compare mine, but the only diference appears to be the hub flange. They certainly fit a humber wheel, and are often refered to as Humber trailers.
You probably know this, but if it had round gaurds it was probably genuine British, the Aussie ones had square gaurds.

This a list of many of the FV No's as regards to vehicles, not parts.
http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/List_...s_by_FV_number

Rich.
Old 17-02-11, 11:39
Rick Cove

Hi Jim and Rich,

The Australian 1 ton trailers were built by Corio Air Engineers of Belmont Victoria. Some had the round guards and the square guards were a replacement at a later stage. Some would have had the square guards from new as well. My trailer has paint marks and has the bolt holes for the round guards but has square guards fitted. A retrofit I guess. My trailer was manufactured in 1959. Some saw service in Vietnam behind the International Mk.3's and F2's.
Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 17-02-11, 13:49

Default trailer

Hi Richard and Rick
The trailer had no body when I purchased it, the story at the time was that it had an airconditioning unit on it that was used to couple up to some type of plane when on the ground.

The paint was a dark blue and was fitted with 10.00x20 tyres on Humber type rims ( lots of studs holding the rims together ).
The serial number does not start with FV it is BTB-14982 .
Also what does this mean, Trailer 1, Ton 2 W/IL.
I have added a picture of a corie trailer and you will notice that the hub is different and so is the hitch but the rest is very similar.
Regards
Jim S.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer i.d.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 17-02-11, 15:05
Phil

Hi there!
The square guards were due to issues with availabilaty of the 1st type of wheel rim.
The mod required replaceing the hub/brake assy and with the new rims also increased the wheel track requireing new wider mud guards.
However this mod was not undertaken on the 200 gal water tank varient of this trailer.
As a side note to these trailers when I was in the army and posted to 18Fld Sqn Lt in 1981 at times the trailers were refered to as "Humber trailer" though at the time I did not make the connection with the 1 Ton Humbers. Though years latter I did after I got a 1 ton Humber.
I also own 2 of the 200 gal water tank trailers, one in resonble condition and the other poor as well as a so so 1 tone trailer.
I do have the above mentioned mod info as well as some others as well a a RPS for trailers.

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 18-02-11, 00:37

I have attached pics of 4 trailers.

The first is a 1 Tonne Sankey, which looks to have the same chassis and hubs as yours, Jim. Note the wheels are Blitz type.

Second is a 1 Tonne Humber, with slightly different hubs (more pronounced webs) and "horns" on the corners of the chassis under the box, and Humber wheels.

Third is an Aust Corio Trailer. Note the hubs have had the "trumpet type" tie downs replaced on the hubs with a large flat plate and spacers on them to make a wider track and to run Ford D3000 wheels, which for many years was the truck these were towed behind.

4th is a Humber style (same hubs and wheels as Humber Box above) 250 Gal water trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
1 ton-4.jpg   1 ton-2.jpg   may09%20068.JPG  
Attached Images

Last edited by Local Chap; 18-02-11 at 00:42.
Old 18-02-11, 02:47
Phil

Well Australia had exactly the same water trailer just used different rims. Will endevour to take some happy snaps and dig out the previous mentioned info ASAP

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 18-02-11, 06:46

Default 1 Ton Humber

Gday Phil,

The last time that i worked at Tenix Toll Defence at Bulimba there was a 1 ton humber trailer sitting in the Dead vehicle graveyard, i had approached the necassary people to attempt to save it from being dumped but alas i finished my second stint there so i never found out if it went to Sims metal or not?.

Might be worth your while enquiring if you still now of anyone out there, certainly worth preserving.

Cheers Matt Baker
Old 18-02-11, 10:49

Default Trailer I.D.

Thanks Gents for your imput.
I can assume that my trailer is a British made one using Humber hubs and one would presume Humber bearings and brakes.

Thanks for the info on the 1 ton Aust trailer using compatible wheels to the Ford D 3000 truck.
Regards
Jim S.