MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 27-07-18, 04:11

Default Der Strabokran

I've just finished reading Volker Ruff's 255 page book 'Der Strabokran German Gantry Crane 1942-45'. (ISBN 978-3-00-034002-4). This is a hard-back book produced on high-quality gloss paper in landscape format, 30 cm x 25 cm.Text is in 'parallel' format - the English text on the left, German text on the right of each page, so overall, the text is not lengthy.

The real strength of the book is the images and diagrams. Fantastic images of workshops in Germany, France and the Russian Front operating Strabokrans of various capacities, to undertake repair and maintenance of Tigers, Elephants and Panthers, with other sections showing the crane's use by V2 rocket companies and by construction units building the Atlantic Wall. There are also many engineering drawings of the crane variants.

Ruff's detailed research is impressive, as is the book's presentation. So if you are into engineering and support equipment, or have a particular passion for German armour, this book is a 'must have' reference.

As an aside, few Strabokrans survive. I saw one recently in the D-Day Museum in Normandy (image below - as a workshop diorama with a Panther), and there is apparently one in the RAF collection at Cosford. Do MLU members know of any other survivors?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Strabokran Normandy.JPG  
Old 27-07-18, 22:42

Don't know whether to be impressed or appalled. What a conglomeration. Looks as if something larger than a strabokran would be required to erect it.

Dave

Last edited by motto; 27-07-18 at 22:48.
Old 27-07-18, 23:59

That's the beauty and engineering genius of it, Dave: it folds into a compact, towable load on its own road tyres.

Erecting it is done by unfolding the legs, then a couple of men winding crank handles bring the scissor legs together and its up. Quite an amazing piece of kit.

There are a number of images in the book showing the crane being erected.

Mike
Old 28-07-18, 01:04

Well Mike, I am impressed.
I thought the putting into service conversation may have been along the following lines:-
'Alright Feldwobble, is it all there? Don't know Herr Tyreburst, won't know 'til we try and lift something. Think we may start with a Kitten Crap,we have one handy.'

No disrespect intended.

Dave
Old 28-07-18, 01:59

None taken, and your last post gave me a good chuckle to boot!

Mike