MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 05-04-22, 01:11

Default Plastic Busts

Hi

Now that I have your attention, has anyone acquired one or more of these? The eBay seller is in China.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143787879867...8AAOSwkTxfh5r8

1/10 scale resin and a very large selection of topics. I am interested in the military themed ones and was just wondering.

regards
Darrell
Old 05-04-22, 06:16

Default It all depends on.........

..... how good you are with a paint brush.......... some 1/35 miniatures done by guys like Jordan are unreal for the size......

I admire the ones with such talents............ I could not do it..... the steady hand, the shading and weathering, knowing what color to mix...... that's why my truck is all the same shade of OD green!!!!!!
Canada
Old 05-04-22, 14:56

Hi Bob

While I am no expert, I would give this a try, I think.

Although not in a while now, I have done up a number of 1/35 figures over the years. The bigger scale and more reqmt for detail may be a challenge but I would step up to that.

The sheer variety of different busts offered is very pleasing to me but my Wife has vetoed any of the belly dancers or sexy sword wielding she-elves. If I dive in, I'm to stay on a military topic!! SS Troopers are OK but plastic boobies are not....kinda like supporting Ukraine!!

regards
Darrell
Old 05-04-22, 22:35

Darrell

The ones in your link will all be knock off copies and be of questionable quality. Sadly ebay is full of sellers like this one from places will little to no copyright laws.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-04-22, 17:35

Default Big question ???

DARRELL: My question is....do you chose the "Sexy Nun Girl Seductress" or "The Marilyn Monroe Pose Sculpture" ??? I hate having to make decisions like this.
Robert
Old 06-04-22, 19:25

Hi Jordan

Yes, coming from China, I suspect that they are some sort of "knock off". Probably made from Melmac in classic tofu dreg quality!! Free shipping tho!!

Do you happen to know who makes the originals? Looks like a Verlinden from back in my day!!

Hi Robert

Sorry but that is an easy question. According to 9-er Domestic, I choose none (NOT Nun!).

I'm not against buying an original (in a military topic!). Jordan has a point.

regards
Darrell
Old 07-04-22, 03:13

I’ve just read about some horror stories from people buying these. Some can be very poorly cast and full of air bubbles. On some of the Facebook groups, showing any support for the knockoffs results in some swift action from the moderators. They are looked down on pretty sternly.

As for manufacturers, it appears to be a a large mix of them.

This company has a huge line. https://www.mitchesmilitarymodels.co.uk/

BNA Model World from Australia is a very reputable company to order from and carries a huge selection. Their prices are pretty reasonable. Just do a search for “bust” and hundreds will show up.

Ultracast.ca is from Ontario. They have a line of figures themselves but have also recently started carrying work from other companies. They are very reputable to buy from as well.

Verlinden closed up shop a number of years ago and most of the remaining stock was sold off. I think most of the mold masters were dumped. There was a few pictures floating around showing molds/masters/ and built dioramas all getting tossed into dumpsters. Sadly at they end the company was not what it was in the early years.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 07-04-22, 12:46

Hi Jordan

Many thanks for that assessment and your sharing of info from fb posts....I didn't realize that was still around.

Perhaps I will hold off on ordering from China then. I shall cast about for a "better" supplier. Thanks for the other options and yes, BNA has a great selection.

In the early 1980s, I lived in southern Belgium for a few years and actually met Francois V. twice at the local model shop. Apparently he and the owner were friends. He enjoyed the fact that me (a Cdn) and my school friend (from Texas) were in Belgium. He did not seem aware that there was a NATO base just up the road! I enjoyed the fact that he was making accessories kits that was feeding my interest in building dioramas. As usual for a teenager, I did not realize at the time how important he would be to me in the coming years!! Pity to hear that the company crapped out; they were top notch when I was snipping the sprue frequently!!

regards
Darrell