MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 23-12-06, 21:12

Default Flight Boots

I got lucky the first day of deer season so I spent the rest of the week "hoovering" every antique shop in Central Ohio. I picked up these sheepskin lined flight(?) boots but, since then, am having a deuce of a time identifying them. Pre-war AAF and USN have been ruled out. I can find nothing close in Brit, German or Jap. One suggestion has been they are civilian. Another suggested Canadian. I would have assumed Canadian boots would be of the British pattern but......

Anybody have an idea?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
12070602.jpg  
Old 28-12-06, 01:17
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Flight Boots

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtbrown
I got lucky the first day of deer season so I spent the rest of the week "hoovering" every antique shop in Central Ohio. I picked up these sheepskin lined flight(?) boots but, since then, am having a deuce of a time identifying them. Pre-war AAF and USN have been ruled out. I can find nothing close in Brit, German or Jap. One suggestion has been they are civilian. Another suggested Canadian. I would have assumed Canadian boots would be of the British pattern but......

Anybody have an idea?

Thanks,
Tom
Hi Tom,

I know absolutely nothing about any of this but as soon as I saw the boots I immediately thought ENGLAND. It just jumped in my head so I haven't a clue, but am sure someone else in here can tell you. This place amazes me. Its the greatest reference library I know

Those style boots would be perfect and perfectly warm for my arthritc feet ... which are really bad right now. I want summa THOSE boots!

Karmen
Old 28-12-06, 02:41
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Those sure as hell aren't the same boots my father flew in circa 1945... dunno what they are, but they're fascinating.
Old 29-12-06, 01:34

The plot thickens!

Using a Plutonium P32 electron discriminating microscope (in other words, a magnifying glass) I have found the name RITSCH on the zipper pulls. GW Bell of Bell's Aviation has been helping me with the ID through the Yahoo flight gear collector's group. He has learned Ritsch was a German manufacturer. Still, the design does not jive with any Luftwaffe gear I have seen in any reference book. (Not that the books cover everything!) This does, however, bring back the possibility of pre-war (or post-war?) civilian boots.

Keep thinking gang and I will let you know anything else I find out!

Tom
Old 29-12-06, 03:15
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtbrown I have found the name RITSCH on the zipper pulls.
Tom [/B]
I googled "RITSCH zipper" and this is a link that came up ... scroll down a bit to see the reference the Ritsch and zipper but for a gas mask pouch or some such... (I'll keep googling

http://archiv.berliner-auktionshaus....62_to_6480.htm
Old 29-12-06, 03:34
Vets Dottir

Hi Tom,

I found this little bit of conversation in a forum about Vintage clothing and zippers... seems Ritsch made zippers and they were used in wartime for german stuff.

Are you sure the "German" possibility is a no go? When the boots have the zippers used in so many military german gear things?

Quote:
Don't forget RITSCH, RUHR and ECLAIR- all used on wartime military and civilian German gear.
Karmen
Old 29-12-06, 03:41

Considering the zipper, German is certainly possible. It is just that the pattern does not match any Kraut flight boots I can find. That's why I am still keeping open the possibility of pre/post war civilian gear.

Tom
Old 29-12-06, 03:54
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Considering the zipper, German is certainly possible. It is just that the pattern does not match any Kraut flight boots I can find. That's why I am still keeping open the possibility of pre/post war civilian gear.

Tom
Understood

I'm just having fun googling

Karmen

I spotted some "kind of but ..." similar looking boots and they were referred to as "SENTRY boots" Waffen style, but none were sheepskin lined. The ones you posted have a similar style to a few of the german styled military type boots. If they're german, I wonder how they made it to Ohio . They certainly look made for very cold weather and being outside in it for long periods of time ... and I'd still love a pair
Old 29-12-06, 15:23

One thing about the boots is they have little for a sole. These were not designed for walking around a lot - even for sentry duty. Unless they were liners for overboots, they would wear out very quickly. And I doubt they are liners because (normally) liners do not have straps and buckles. But their design would fit in perfectly for boots put on just before taking off.

Tom
Old 03-01-07, 17:17

Default think outside the box perhaps....

Everyone is thinking flight boots....but any chance they are NOT flight boots? I know less than zero about flight gear, but I know I heard a bunch of RAF re-enactor types commenting that they have used motorcycle riding boots, coverted, to work as proper patterned flight boots. Why not consider something other than flight boots...such as motorcycle rider perhaps???

Just throwing more in the mix...cool looking boots tho!

tim
Old 04-01-07, 01:46

Tim,

See my post just above yours. These boots have virtually no soles - almost slipper-like. I doubt if they were designed to walk in to any extent. Cyclists still have to walk a good bit and need boots with soles. That is why I must also consider they are liners for other boots.

Don't let that stop you from coming up with other ideas, however. THANKS!

Tom
Old 04-01-07, 02:13
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Tim,

See my post just above yours. These boots have virtually no soles - almost slipper-like. I doubt if they were designed to walk in to any extent. Cyclists still have to walk a good bit and need boots with soles. That is why I must also consider they are liners for other boots.

Don't let that stop you from coming up with other ideas, however. THANKS!

Tom
I've come across "mukluk boots", "trooper boots" and "ski boots" kind of similar in style in googling images and different search words ... wih the mukluk ones being closest in design I think. Your mentioning them possibly being inserts is interesting (like the old felts we used to wear in our winter boots. Those boots you have, if inserts, look like they'd be inserts for the Arctic

For what it's worth

Karmen