MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 04-05-20, 04:19

Default 2020 at the Hammond Barn

All this isolation drives one to do silly things.......

Used the spare time to finally assemble all the loose parts I have been collecting into a "rotisserie".......

Started by buying a full set of plans from Red Wings on Ebay...... good basic information and viable design....... but I started tosee other models on U tube and Ebay and some features were interesting others outright dangerous.......

So from basic plans....some limitations due to skills levels...... and much discussion with Grant I have finished a sturdy rotisserie that will BBQ a decent size CMP.......... first project will be restoration of one 2B1 cargo box.

The device incorporates a screw drive gear box (60:1) from the Steam Guy, huge pillow blocks that came from a discarded jeep engined generator frame from Jason, long bottle jacks from Princess and tons of 2x2 and 2.5x2.5 trailer square tubing with 1/4 in. walls. Tires/rims from my neighbors garbage that matched the axle stubs from Princess 5 x 4 1/2 in.

It will swing 90 inches and I am using a wrench to turn the gears but it is fitted to take the 1/2 inch impact air gun when loaded. It will adjust for lenght. Further adjustments are made by means of a 3/4 in grade 8 threaded rod form our local fabricator shop.

Will cannibalize the rear section of a badly rusted 15 cwt frame to be the base of the cargo box to be rebuilt.

Took a lot of Mig Welding wire and the current price of steel is unbelievable..... fortunately most of my steel had been purchased 2 years ago. I have yet to install a tow ring that will allow me to lift one end with the tractor and move it around as a trailer.

Now for the peetures!!!!! ....may have to split them in two sets.....

Cheers

Ooops having token issues....will try again...
Canada
Old 04-05-20, 04:21

Default Peektures.......

They were all down sized but five may have been too much.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1DSC09180.JPGresized.jpg (496.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2DSC09181.JPGres.jpg (1.14 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3DSC09182.JPGres.jpg (1.13 MB, 10 views)
Canada
Old 04-05-20, 04:29

Default lets do it again....

Here goes..................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DSC09183.JPGres.jpg (1.05 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 77DSC09187.JPGres.jpg (948.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 8DSC09188.JPGres.jpg (819.2 KB, 5 views)
Canada
Old 04-05-20, 04:36

Default The gear head....

....................................bottle jack lifts 23 inches and the threaded rod another 23 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 555DSC09186.JPGres.jpg (406.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 444DSC09185.JPGres.jpg (943.8 KB, 3 views)
Canada
Old 04-05-20, 13:14

Default Now that is a rotisserie

Hi Bob

That is a rotisserie, what will be the first project to go on it?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 04-05-20, 18:06

Default Hanno.........

..... can we have a sticky for the barn dated 2020........ and start it with the rotisserie.

Thank you
Canada
Old 04-05-20, 18:33

Default Looking for a big steer to BBQ......

Hi Phil

Hoping you and your family are doing OK with all this covid crisis.......

My first project will be to restore a 2B1 cargo box for my cab 11. I have 3 boxes that are rusted beyond use but will serve as great pattern......one is assumed 1940 the other 2 are from 1942 cab 12 and even in that short time the assembly and some fixtures are slightly different and all three have different overall size by at least 1/4 inch.

I am hoping to use the better one with a solid diamond plate floor and fender wells and rebuild the head board and rigid and folding side panels. We have one battered tailgate out of the 3 but a good model.

On closer examination of the box we found that a lot of smaller parts where eventually welded in sub unit than into full sides so reproducing on a small brake should be possible. The tailgate and head board will need to be done in a local fabricator shop using an 8 foot hydraulic brake....... the rest is just MIG welding. Price of steel has skyrocketed since the Covid crisis and delivery of stock is a "sometimes' next week to ten days as opposed to 2 or 3 days turn around time and cost almost double from 2 years ago.

For the above reason we may experiment with using one guage size thinner than original....will save $$ and weight and our trucks will never be overloaded like they would do on Australian farms with stacks of feed bags.

On all of our 3 rusted cargo boxes the best preserves part are the floor panels and underpinnings......some still showing a very very light coat of pale OD green and little surface rust... the worst being the side panels eaten right
away to a gaping hole.

Consideration is being given to purchasing a proper box brake with a 48 inch width and 12 gauge capacity........ our current 36 inches 16 gauge is some what limited but great for smaller project. Grant and I have also taken to making our own dies and using the 20 to hydraulic press the bend heavy bar stock we good success.

Will need to learn and master "hot riveting" for the various two inch x 1/4 bar straps of the tail gate and the many 1/4 in. stock for the hinges and we have a small forge that will be fired up for the occasion.

We had Summer for the last 2 days now back to chilly cloudy weather.

Intend to document the repro of the box on the Barn sticky for future reference.

Let's all hope we get out of this isolation and bug crisis and get back to whatever normal ever was.

Cheers

PS..... the rotisserie will also be used when I start working on the LRDG project........... meanwhile I may have to pull the tranny out of thecab 11 and see why the clutch slips in 3rd and 4th and determine where the oil is coming from......clutch disk plate may need relining..... now is the time to do it before I install a roof....as I can use the overhead electric which, through the floor opening...... to support the tranny during process.
Canada