MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 24-01-08, 21:21
Derek Heuring

Default Fifi's coming to the Metroplex!

Great news for all aviation buffs out there. Jim Cavanaugh, of Cavanaugh Flight Museum fame has generously donated $1.2 Million (ouch!) to rebuild Fifi's engines. Fifi, as everyone knows, is the last flightworthy B29 in the world. For this consideration, the Confederate Flight Museum will base both Fifi and Shewill (B24) at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum located at Addison Airport, Texas. Addison is a short 20 minute drive from my house and I'm ecstatic that this historical aircraft will be kept in my backyard. Keep posted as I will upload video of this aircraft once she is flying again!
Attached Thumbnails
b29fifi.jpg  
Old 25-01-08, 01:21
M38A1 CDN3

Default Fifi

Great news!

I have pics of Fifi at the Mount Hope (now Hamilton International Airport) c. 1980 when we Airborne guys did perimeter security plus a dog and pony show as part of the annual Air Show.

Derek: Huge SEGs allowed!

Keefy: Eat yer heart out!
Old 25-01-08, 01:50
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Fifi

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Keefy: Eat yer heart out!
OK, heart will be eaten out when I see the airborne SEG!

On another note I've just seen this:

Quote:
As it stands right now, Calgary Aerospace is trying to convince City of Calgary to let them sell the mosquito to an annon collector in the UK for $1.5 Million dollars with $500.000 dollars going into the restoration of their Canadian built Hawker Hurricane. That is what has been put out over the media channels

I was informed that not only is the Mosquito bomber being sold, BUT the Hawker Hurricane is to go to the UK as well to be rebuilt to static display and then return to Canada!

The Hurricane was given a donation of $50.000 to restore the Hurricane to static display. Where did that money go as the Hurricane is now in storage and was never completed.

As most of you know when an aircraft is taken on as a restoration project, parts go missing or are discarded or swapped out for parts from other aircraft to make a static project. What will return to Canada will be a Hurricane Yes but nothing like what left as far as a complete and original aircraft is.

Another interesting note is that a current member of Aerospace museum is now a member of city council(a conflict of interest) and is withholding important information from the public. He also seems he is being brainwashed as one minute he is saying it will cost $15 Million to restore the mosquito and the next thing he is saying it is "rotting away"

Link

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-01-08, 17:51
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Fifi

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
OK, heart will be eaten out when I see the airborne SEG!

Jon and Kieth, rest assured I will do everything in my power to ensure there is an airborne SEG!

On another note, regards the Mossie in Calgary; the same people who own and operate the Canadian Museum of Flight and Transportation in Langley B.C. also operate a used aircraft parts company. When I was still living in B.C. and a member of the C.M.o.F.a.T., I had opportunity to explore their warehouse in Surrey. It was a trip to yesteryear with thousands of vintage and warbird aircraft parts. I was beginning to help restore the powered turret for the Bolingbroke when plans were announced to sell it to the Canadian Warbird Museum in Hamilton, Ontario so all work stopped. Anyway, I digress. In the warehouse there was stored along with many other parts, a main wing spar for a Mossie, presumably still in serviceable condition. In my limited experience with keeping warbirds flying, the main spar invariably comes up as the most serious encumbrance to keeping a C of A. Someone needs to pass this info on to whomever ends up with the Mossie as there may be many needed parts. I've just joined the "Plane Talk" forum and am waiting for confirmation from the webmaster. I'll post this info there when able. Derek.