MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 19-03-05, 02:14

Default The cost of a CMP restoration.

Yes , we all love our hobby and the satisfaction we get out of bringing back to life a piece of military history. I think most of us probably struggle with the amount of money it takes to bring a rust bucket wreck back to parade condition, not to speak of the rising cost of fuel, insurance,etc.. Our steel bill for our LAAT box restoration from a friend of mine in the steel business was $2300.00. Yes the price of steel is up big time. My question is what are other restoration clubs out there getting from parade/cities for showing up for the day, considering transportation and fuel. And what is steel scrap worth in your part of the world. Here in Canada $100.00 a ton. Cheers Rob
Attached Thumbnails
im000625.jpg  
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 19-03-05, 14:34

Default Parades in New England Pay

Our HMVC (Historic Military Vehile Club) gets between $300-1500 per parade depending on how many vehicles they want as a minimum. Depending on the year we take in between $3,000 and $5,000. Number of parades and displays that we do not charge for generally Veterans related. We provide $25 for gas on big trucks if requested. Some parades and displays provide free gas fill up. Others provide flat bed transport for armor.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 19-03-05, 14:46

Default Parade Photo

Meant to include this photo from the Lexington, Massachusetts Patriots Day Parade April 19 commemorating the battle at Lexington-Concord at the beginning of War of Independence or War of Rebellion depending on your point of view.
Attached Thumbnails
lexingtonparadelinel.jpg  
`45 HUP
Old 19-03-05, 18:57
In Vino Veritas

Default Interesting point

we discussed getting subsidized to show up to parades etc before. I have a couple of more points that I thought about. In Canada you have to pay to get our national acrobatic Snowbirds to perform at your show. Even a free show you are expected to provide food, a hotel room for every pilot, engineer, a vehicle for each person and a few other insundries, we've had them three times since I have been in Fort Smith and been involved each time. The last time they weren't happy with the rooms so they cut the show short and hightailed it Cold Lake to stay the night. Also you have to pay to have the musical ride show up too, we had them last year and that really cost the town a lot, 14k just to fill in potholes for 1/10th of a mile because the horses can't walk around them and they stayed in our arena, expensive to clean up. And we are already paying through taxes. That aside parades and events quite often make big money for the organisation and the merchants of said community. We just paid 10k to Tom Jackson to show up and open up the NWT games. So there is money there to subsidise participants, but I think you have to ask and maybe put forth a schedule of costs to back up your claim. A good organiser isn't going to run around and throw money at everyone if he/she can get it for free.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 20-03-05, 00:59

Default We also turn out vehicles for special events

Our club also turns out vehicles and people in period dress for special events. Such as airshows and ship visits, as they often want these for a weekend our standard charge includes food and lodging. Last fall we did a display for the annual turn around cruise of a Fletcher Class Distroyer at the Boston Navy Yard. We are scheduled to display WWII equipment there this summer when the last "Sea Worthy" LST comes for display.
Attached Images

`45 HUP
Old 20-03-05, 11:02

You guys should think yourselves lucky, because in Britain, if we wished to be paid to display our vehicles, then we would never leave home with them.

It is extremely rare to get any recompence for displaying. A free cup of tea and a bun occasionally, or perhaps a piece of slate or brass. Best one was a 3 day event at a classic race meeting, where we were given a handfull of tickets for each day and I was able to sell them on. That paid for by fuel for the 180 mile round trip.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Farrant; 20-03-05 at 11:07.
Old 20-03-05, 12:58

Thumbs down How right you are

Too true Richard

you and a number of others here will remember Master Notton and I holding forth last year about a major show held in this country, look out I feel rant coming on.

In the UK thirty years ago we were paid petrol one way from most show organisers. We have not had that for a very long time in fact it is becoming more frequent for the entrant to be expected to pay an entry fee.

It is with a certain degree of irony that the only payment I have received in many years came from an organisation that has now fell foul of it's main governing body.

Add to this the continued and very real threat to keeping our vehicles on the road from the petty law makers in Brussels, the shear effort of finding somewhere to keep our trucks housed as nearly every farm building in the south of England seems to be converted into either a swanky office or a million pound house it all gets to be very hard work.

Why do I continue to pay very dearly from my own pocket for this privilege? I don't know to be honest, but it's just something I have to do.

It does occur to me that perhaps we should start a movement to get back to basics and remember the times past when we were not driven by the need of the balance sheet and the bureaucrat.

Rant over I'll get on with some work now
Old 20-03-05, 21:58
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Guys, I must jump in on this one as it is a particular pet peeve of mine.
I have posted this before on this and other forums, as well as in communications with event sponsors.
I have never minded taking my toys out to an event, such as a local car show or a simple country drive on the weekend. The enjoyment of talking to interested people is fun for sure.
The difference is that this is solely my choice, and usually nearby my home.
Myself, as well as others have been asked to participate in outings such as parades, and of course if you know Ontario, Canada, it is a big piece of property.
Organizers and the public do not understand many things about us. It seems to me that most assume that our vintage military vehicles somehow magically get there, that they are climbing gyms for children, do not get the same respect as would someones beautiful 55 Chevy would etc. They do not understand rare parts and pieces, the money it costs us to restore, maintain insure or fuel up these beasts. Nor do they think about the weekend given up to come there, the meals, hotels, etc etc.
Now, of course this is a choice one must make, but herein lies my complaint.
You get organizers who do complain about lousy turnouts, squack at the hint of a "free" anything for participants, no thanks etc.
I was personally involved in one parade whereby one of the members who isn't too shy mentioned to the organizer about some sort of tidbit after we had arrived and participated, and it was like pulling teeth. The guy came up with four beer tickets for four guys. Wow.
Not all of us have the luxury of a million dollar bank account, or heavy trucks, trailers or transport for our vehicles.
The way I see it, if a group wants a parade, and request or invite us, there should be something in it. Afterall, at the end of it, it has still cost us money.
I was at the parade in Windsor for the grand opening of the new armoury in October. The military, city and local government officials were only too happy to get the parade they wanted.
Free accomodations at the armoury, some free tickets for the mess (which was fantastic), transport for vehicles from all over the province, free fuel for vehicles, a great time. Amazing parade with dozens of vehicles

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 20-03-05, 23:26

Default How much does it cost Mr

Sorry Rob
jumped on the soap box and didn't answer your question.

I would reckon around £4 to £5k for the truck in your photo, that's about average cost these days in the UK for a fairly straight forward restoration, if it required significant fabrication work the price may be up by another £2k.

Pete