MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-20, 19:15

Default Norton BIG 4 Marking Help Please!

Hi all,
We are currently restoring a 1940 Norton BIG 4 and are at the stage at where we need to work out the markings etc.
After extensive help from Norton experts and own research, we have found that our bike is from contract V3849 with the Census number being C4185454. Upon further research, it looks like the C Numbers around ours were sent to the 2nd Canadian Brigades Reconnaissance Battalion (earlier ones being sent to the Northumberland Fusiliers).

We have a few photos of bikes around our C Number showing markings however are unsure on colours and if there are more markings that we can't see in the photo.
What I can see is that there is a dark square with a maple leaf inside with a CII in the centre. This marking we can see only the right hand side of the tank but are unsure on if it needs to be both sides.
There is also a marking on the end of the front wheel arch with a number- unsure on colours and what the number should be for the correct battalion etc.

We are under the impression that most Canadian BIG 4's had the spare wheel on the front of the sidecar in contrast to the British having theirs on the rear. This not allowing for any markings on the front of the sidecar, but unsure if there would be any more on the sidecar or the rear of the bike?

Please see attached discussed photo's for reference.
Aside from that, that's all we've got- any further information would be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!
Ben
🤓
Attached Thumbnails
A 1940 C4185299 C.3849 Getty Canadian.jpg   A 1940 C4185298.jpeg  
Old 10-08-20, 20:51
GM Fox I

The dark blue rectangle, gold maple leaf and black CII is the early 2nd Canadian Infantry Division formation flash. The 41 is white most likely on a green over blue background, indicating the divisional reconnaissance regiment (VIII Recce Regt., or 14th Canadian Hussars). I expect the 41 unit sign would be repeated on the rear fender as would the 2nd Division sign on the left side of the fuel tank.
Old 11-08-20, 10:53
Alex Schmidt

Hello Ben,

Glad to see you and Martin are progressing enough to start thinking about markings!

I may have some more pictures of that contract, please remind me, as I'm very bizzy at the moment.

Cheers,

Lex
Attached Thumbnails
002.jpg  
Old 11-08-20, 13:15
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by welbike View Post
Hello Ben,

Glad to see you and Martin are progressing enough to start thinking about markings!

I may have some more pictures of that contract, please remind me, as I'm very bizzy at the moment.

Cheers,

Lex
Now we've changed gears...marking wise. The divisional flash is on the side car and the unit sign is on the fuel tank. The sign is a white 57 on red, indicating the third battalion in the first brigade of an infantry division. If the division sign is blue (2nd Division), the unit is the Essex Scottish. If Red (1st Division) it would be the 48th Highlanders or if grey (3rd Division) the Canadian Scottish. The CC census number has been moved from a vertical plate right to the fender itself.
Old 20-08-20, 14:09

Many thanks for your help Bruce and Lex! Very much appreciated. Another question if you wouldn't mind helping out? We are slightly concerned that all of the photos we have seen so far of this division shows that they all had the Motley Bren Gun Mount- would this have been the case or would some have had just the normal seat? If they all had the Motley Mount we may change tact to having the markings of the CTS. We have a picture of a Big 4 in these markings again within close range of our Census number without the need for the Motley Mount.

Many thanks again!
Ben