MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-04-06, 05:07
David Pope

Default Trailer ID

Here's a couple of pictures of a military trailer I'm trying to acquire. Can anyone help me identify it? It uses Jeep type wheels and the box has three stake holes per side. The wood sides are original. The fenders don't look like any trailer I've seen before. The pintle hitch has been replaced with a ball type.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-06, 05:11
David Pope

Here's the other picture.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-06, 06:17
David Pope

I talked to the guy that owns the trailer and he said his dad got it army surplus out of Calgary or Edmonton in the mid fifties so it's likely WW2 vintage. Has anybody seen anything like it before?
Old 12-04-06, 23:27
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cletrac
Has anybody seen anything like it before?
Nope, nothing like it. Personally I doubt it's of military origin. Check for any data plates and see if you can find a reference in Technical Manuals etc.

For what my €0,02 are worth...

Hanno
Old 13-04-06, 17:30
In Vino Veritas

Default Did you...

...look underneath it? Did it have a straight axle or is the differential still there? The frame in the towing hitch looks to be way understrenght for an army rig. Looks suspiciously like a pickup trailer, cut from a pickup truck and a homemade tongue put on. The rear fender looks TT'ish (model T truck), though its got the curve of a Studebaker its too thin.
My Canadian 2cents
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 15-04-06, 02:42
David Pope

I took a good look at the trailer today. It's a factory made trailer with a tubular axle and no brakes. The frame is about 2 inch square tube. It looks like something that might have been made in the late 30s or early 40s. It does look lightly built for militaty use.
The trailer came as susplus from the military base in Edmonton in about 1955. It was painted green at the time. I dug at the paint and the underlying green looks quite a bit "greener" than olive drab. The underside has patches of black paint but no O-D.
Would it have been possible that it was procured locally during the war for use on the base?
Old 01-05-06, 14:07
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cletrac
The trailer came as susplus from the military base in Edmonton in about 1955. It was painted green at the time. I dug at the paint and the underlying green looks quite a bit "greener" than olive drab. The underside has patches of black paint but no O-D.
Would it have been possible that it was procured locally during the war for use on the base?
Here's a similar "WW2 WILLYS TRAILER" (Ebay item number: 4633182197). According to one observer it is made from a post-WW2 Willys pickup bed, while it's owner says it "was bought through the govt surplus at the nat guard camp here in grayling mi".
Rather than being "procured locally", I think both trailers here were "produced locally", other words for being fabricated from scrap parts by the base motor pool, thus becoming government property, to be eventually auctioned off.

My €0,02 worth...

Hanno
Attached Images