MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 28-06-05, 00:41

Default Magazine pics

Good Day all,

I haven't been posting for a while, but have been browsing the postings, good stuff to read and learn about. I am including a scan of magazine pages from Sept 44. The reason it was saved was that my uncle is in the middle picture, middle row of the Engineers mesh bridge.

I came across the proverbial treasure trove of photo's (some dating back to 1891!!) that had been forgotton about and now have much scanning to do in regards to the WWII images. I am quite exited about this as I thought that any photo's of my Dad and Uncle had been destroyed by fire or (worse) in the clutches of an individual who would deny their existance.

Thought some of the folks here would enjoy a look.
Attached Thumbnails
magazine01.jpg  
Old 28-06-05, 00:42

Here is the other side of the magazine page, sorry for the viewing quality, I can send via e-mail if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
magazine02.jpg  
Old 28-06-05, 00:51

Here is one of some of the 23rd Fld Coy, RCE standing on one huge German gun. Looks like the photographer had to move so far to the rear to get most of the gun in, that it reminded me of the silhouette shot of the soldiers at the beginning of the Band of Brothers show. No, I am not comparing the two units, just the similarity of the images, although Maj Gen Maxwell Taylor, CO of the US 101st Airborne Division sent a Letter of Commendation to Maj ML (Mike) Tucker commending both him and the entire 23rd Field Coy for their work during Operation Pegasus and in ferrying the 101st foot element across the Waal River. I found this out when reading the War Diaries that I borrowed from National Archives.

At any rate here is the image, hope you enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
menongun02.jpg