MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-03, 07:24

Default Ford 60 cwt trucks - early WW2

Hi all. From what i can find on the internet, this is the place i should be!!

Im researching a rare series of armoured cars from WW2 which probably used a Ford 60cwt 4x2 truck chassis. Im not sure if its pertinent or not but the vehicles in question were used in Africa and the middle east from the mid 30's and into WW2.

Can someone help me with the specifics of the 60cwt series of Ford trucks between 1935 and 1945?

Im looking for the models, etc from the mid 1930's onwards. Id really like some pictures, specifics (dimensions, wheelbases, engines, etc), what the different cab numbers mean, whats the difference between a L model and an S model and any other model?

Im not sure how this forum works (being a first timer) but i am happy to receive any help at XXXXXXXXXX.

Thanks very much.
Old 10-10-03, 07:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Hi Glenn,

Welcome! Yes, you're in the right place, all right! There will be people here who can help you.

I've deleted your posted email address for security purposes - no point in giving the spam spiders anything to work with... anyone here can email you through the system or contact you through our private messaging system, but we'd all be just as happy to see any replies as well...

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 10-10-03, 08:19
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Ford 60 cwt trucks - early WW2

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn
Im researching a rare series of armoured cars from WW2 which probably used a Ford 60cwt 4x2 truck chassis. Im not sure if its pertinent or not but the vehicles in question were used in Africa and the middle east from the mid 30's and into WW2.
Hi Glenn, welcome here on this forum.

As for some specifics, see http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm > Vehicle Model Identification. The Model Identification Chart lists model numbers and wheelbases.

What type of armoured cars are you referring to?

Regards,
Hanno
Old 10-10-03, 11:05

Thanks guys.

I refer to the Fordson Armoured Cars. A photo of one is at :
http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/tanks...rd/fordson.htm

The cars started as 1914 Rolls Royce armoured cars utilised in WW1. They were upgraded in 1920 and 1924 and were a mainstay in the British empire desert areas - made famous by Col Lawrence.

At the outbreak of WW2 (an some research indicates that perhaps even earlier than this), the old 1907 chassis was replaced by placing the RR armoured bodies on a Ford truck chassis.

I initially beleived the chassis to be the 30 cwt Ford, but the dimensions are almost exact to the RR 1907 Silver Ghost (it was the 1907 RR that the armoured cars were built onto in 1914). Therefore the 30cwt was too short.

I have an excellent side view photo that shows that an extra armoured compartment was placed on the rear of the car due to the extra length of the 60 cwt chassis. The photo is in David Fletchers Warcars at pp 89. Given the types of wheels, i am told that the chassis were more than likely of commercial vehicles drawn into service.

There is very little specifics on the Fordson armoured car so most of my research has been reading bits and pieces from all over the place.

I am happy, again, to get any info on the RR/Fordson AC's of the 2 wars - and after (they were still in use in middle east in the 1960's).

Glenn.
Old 11-10-03, 08:08
Jeep guy in CMP world!

hi glenn,

Big coincidence i think!
The other day at our club meeting here in syydney- AMVCS, a member was speaking of a "museum"- actually, its a B29 Hanger left over from the war in the atherton table lands- is that Queensland?

In this "museum" of mostly unrestored vehicles is a ford 4x2 armoured scout car he said. Designated F1? i think thats what it`s called.

Built here? as a vehicle for patrolling the american airfields i think. does any of this sound familiar?
Anyway, there is a living example (not sure of condition, but i don`t think it was too bad) here in australia.

Is this any help/ whats your looking for?

A member of this board- Tony Smith seemed to know a bit about them, but you`d have to ask him. He might respond to this post you put up, if not, have a look for him in the members register. Tony, do you know what museum joe was talking about?

Cheers, and a great topic!

Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 11-10-03, 08:24

Default F1 or similar and extra F60 info please

I have (not 30 minutes ago) found a 4x2 armoured car apparently a rare Aussie made AC for WW2. It was called the Rover. The photo of the Rover was in some sort of museum and was based on a F60 chassis or similar.

Its at http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-.../lac-rover.htm

As to the F1 or similar i dont know about it?

As to the F60 inofmration, Hanno has provided me with a website for the V8 engines but i dont know enough about the trucks themselves to identify which model i am looking at. Any extra information form anyone please?
Old 11-10-03, 08:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default I'll take the bait, Ian.

The meuseum we taked about was the Beck military museum at Mareeba in far north Queensland. The scout car was a S1 scout car built as reverse lend-lease to the americans serving in Qld at the time. These were based on CMP running gear and looked like a cross between a CT15A and an M3 white scout car. I do beleive that Hanno had a pic posted on the old forum, so I'll cast the bait in his direction and see if he bites. While the bait is flying, perhaps Bob Mosely could show us a pic of "Bandicoot" which was loosely based on these Brit cars, and built on a commercial Ford chassis
Old 11-10-03, 08:46
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Default gulp...

very interesting! sounds like there is a few variants out there then? sorry glenn, i got the designation wrong. do you know about the one tony and i are talking about- sounds similar to what your looking for? you wanted to know more about the S model, is this one we mention one of them?

I knew tony would know more about the one we spoke about at the meeting! cheers mate!

Hanno, what do you say?

Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 11-10-03, 09:07
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default It's already on the forum!!

Using that wonderful search feature, I found Bob's thread on Aust Armoured cars! Have a look at: http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...s=&threadid=70

Glenn, I can commend to you Mike Cecil's excellent Military Equipment Profiles series, with Vol 3 relating to Aust armoured cars

Last edited by Tony Smith; 11-10-03 at 09:14.
Old 11-10-03, 11:25
former Resident Historian

Default Rod's site

Don't forget Mr Diery's site!

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ROD_DIERY/AUSTCARS.html