MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-16, 17:45

Default 19-Set Keyhole Grommets

This is a spinoff from the thread I posted on the Grommet, Blind.

I had it in my head there was a PSU somewhere in my 19-Set equipment which had some of the blind grommets stuffed into some of the unused tie down key holes. I had wanted to photograph the unit as a reference in the other thread.

For those of you not that familiar with the 19-Set, two versions of the case for the PSU can be found, and within those two versions, a number of variations in style exist. The two basic versions are those cases built with only two sets of tie down key holes - one on either side of the case - and cases with a set of key holes on each of the four sides of the case. This latter style allows for mounting options for the PSU either sitting in it's normal vertical position, or stacked horizontally on top of the Transceiver Case. The obvious problem with the latter case is how to keep the weather out of the unused key holes.

Turns out, there is a key hole blind grommet in existence to do just what is needed. The attached photos are of my AC PSU for the Mk III 19-Set. They illustrate the four sided tie down key hole setup and also nicely illustrate the rubber key hole grommets. There are four of them in this case, blanking out the unused holes in the top and bottom of the case. As you can see, they have quite a flat profile.

The problem is, they are completely without a part number of any kind, so if anyone has some documentation regarding these grommets with part number references of any kind, please let us know.

Cheers,

David
Attached Thumbnails
19 Set AC Power Supply.jpg   Keyhole Grommets.jpg  
Old 12-01-16, 04:26
Geoff Truscott

Hello David

Looked more closely, there is no common denominator, the PSU cases are interchangeable so who's too know the original configuration unless it's NOS still in the box.
The PSU cases I have come in two types with various green crackle, green paint and brown paint, on one type the key holes on top are closed by an interior plate with the side key holes being an added plate so no through hole in the actual case. The other type has through holes on top and the sides, requiring a grommet.
Closed holes are probably later; as we had more steel than rubber.

In the EMER 256/3 it lists a grommet but I think it is for the small round holes for mounting the Variometer Packing Piece.

EMER 256/3 WS19 Mk.III pg.60, 61, 62 & 63.

Geoff

Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 13-01-16 at 00:24.