MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-07-09, 18:26

Default Japanese three-wheeled motorcycle

Hi,
Am posting this for a friend who has recently aquired a Japanese three-wheeled motorcycle, and is looking for any information to help in restoring it.
Story is that it was brought back from Guadalcanal, sold at some point, and then sat behind a gas station in Oklahoma for decades.
The data plate is missing, so we don't even know the manufacturer.
Am posting this on several sites in hope that someone might have information or photos on one of these.
Have found only one photo with no caption.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0171.jpg   DSCF0164.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 26-07-09, 23:27
Dog Robber

Hi David:

I believe your trike is a Motorcycle, 3X2 Cargo and Personnel, Type 1 Kurogane also known by the name "Sanrinsha"

I am posting a photo of it here, but cannot help further.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
sanrinsha.jpg  

Last edited by Bill Murray; 26-07-09 at 23:38.
Old 27-07-09, 02:04

Absolutely wonderful! Thank you very much, Bill!
Now we have some solid information to work with. He had some hand-painted writing on the bike translated as "Nippon Oil and Machine Company" from a local elderly Japanese lady. No other markings on it anywhere.
I will pass this great information on to him. I'm sure you have just made his day.
Thanks again, David
Old 27-07-09, 03:13
Member since 1998

Default Jap servi car

Hi David,
The photo maybe a Rikuo, a Jap copy of a Harley Davidson servi car. The Japs apprently had a factory back in the 1930's turning out HD clones.

The above Black/white photo also apears in "Military Motorcycles of WW2" by Osprey/Roy Bacon which identifies it as "A Japanese Ammunition carrier as captured on the Buna front in New Guinea. Adapted from motorcycle with disc wheels all round."

Also there is another small photo of 6 US soldiers riding/posing in one.

The Osprey info is short and to the point but I have no idea to its accuracy but Roy Bacon is usually spot on.
Old 27-07-09, 04:47
David Pope

I got this off the net. Being a Harley clone, a lot of parts might work which would simplify restoration.
Wartime History
The main motorcycle used by the Imperial Japanese Army was built by Sankyo, and later Rikuo (Kurogane). This motorcycle was a licence built copy of the 1937 American Harley-Davidson, with only minor changes. Powered by V-twin cyl, 1196cc air cooled driving 3 speed gear box and reverse chain drive. Many were supplied with side cars, which can be fitted with a light machine gun.

Tricycles
Popular in civilian life for transport, the Army also adopted motorcycle tricycles, known as Sanrinsha that used a variety of motorcycles, including the Type 97.
Attached Thumbnails
Jap-Sanrinsha-IJNavy-Papua.jpg   8217B51F15ED4347BB2BA3C38C45E10F.jpg  
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 27-07-09, 07:59

Finschhafen, New Guinea 1943

Nagasaki 1945

Milne Bay, New Guinea 1942

Old 27-07-09, 08:09
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default NZ has one

A friend in NZ owned one..a Kurogane .... it was recovered from the Solomon Islands and restored, the NZ restorer for some reason finished it in civilian livery ..... my friend has since sold it on...

I can pass on his email via a PM if your interested.

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 27-07-09, 12:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Some more pics.
The number plate on the back of the Milne Bay trike is for the Japanese 3rd Kure Special Naval Landing Force (what are commonly referred to as "Jap Marines", but are actually Naval Infantry, if you can understand the difference!). Milne Bay was originally assaulted on the 25 Aug 42 by a force of 1150 men with light tanks and artillery from the 5th Kure SNLF and the 5th Sasebo SNLF, but when these met with resistance from the Australians they were reinforced ex-Guadalcanal by a 2nd wave of 570 men from 3rd Kure SNLF and 200 from the 5th Yokosuka SNLF. The assault failed and the remaining trops were withdrawn. The 3rd Kure SNLF and 5th Yokosuka were the defending garrison forces on Tulagi and Guadalcanal respectively, with the 5th Yokosuka being the larger force involved against the US Marines owing to the size of the forces detached for Milne Bay.

If your friend's Trike is from Guadalcanal, it is most likely a 5th Yokosuka relic.
Attached Thumbnails
Scan10004.jpg   Scan10005.jpg  
Old 27-07-09, 13:59

Thanks everyone for the great information and photos! My friend will be thrilled!
He is a lifetime collector of Harleys, with around 100 or so vintage motorcycles, some dating back to the early 1900's. Not being on the internet, though, it is almost impossible for him to get the information he needs for this one.
He is trying to rebuild the valve train on it now to get it running. He knew about the Rikuo Harley clones the Japanese built, but says real Harley parts are not even close. Totally different design of the engine. Also interesting is that this trike has a rear differential, axle and leaf springs just like a small truck would have.
Luckily all the parts are there for it except the front fender, headlight and those splash shields on the front. Now he has some photos to work with to find or reproduce some of these parts.
If he gets it running, we'll pull it out to take some decent photos.
Any other information is still greatly appreciated.
Thanks again!
David
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0163.jpg   DSCF0170.jpg   DSCF0169.jpg  

Last edited by David DeWeese; 01-08-09 at 03:22.
Old 27-08-09, 14:17

Another pic.

For a larger version, click here....http://images.google.com/hosted/life...b99983e2f252a4
Attached Thumbnails
japm.jpg  
Old 29-09-09, 05:52

Default photo

Sorry for late reply. Thank you very much, Stuart!

To let you guys know, I posted the need for information and photos on this motorcycle on several sites, even the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club, and to date have received more information from the MLU crowd than all the rest combined!
Thanks again!
David
Old 17-09-11, 10:38

Default Japanese three-wheeled motorcycle

Hello,

What is the status of your restoration? I know the location of another thjree-wheeled motorcycle that needs restoration.

Thanks, Bryan
Old 17-09-11, 15:14

Hi Bryan,
Progress on the restoration is very slow as my friend has many projects going at once. Last time I asked him, he had finally reproduced the needed parts for the engine and had assembled it. Beyond that, probably not much else has been done.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated! Have any photos?

As a side note, he was visited a few months ago by the guys from the show "American Pickers" on The History Channel.
Here's a link to an interview with him after the filming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwTjJ9-J144
Thanks, David

Last edited by David DeWeese; 18-09-11 at 17:34. Reason: added comment
Old 17-09-11, 17:15

Gents,

The AWM has an un-restored Kurogane motorcycle and side car combination, ex-New Guinea, in storage at Mitchell Annex. There are also a number of spare parts (most of an engine and gearbox). I understand the mechanicals are the same as the tricycle subject of this thread, ie, based on early Harley Davidson.

Might be useful to contact the AWM and request either an access visit or for images.

Mike C
Old 18-09-11, 16:52

Thanks Mike,
I will try and contact the AWM with some photos of this trike and see what happens...
Talked to him last night and he still says this motorcycle shares no similar mechanical components with a Harley, so isn't one of the Harley clones.
What he wants most is a data plate photo or some manufacturer's information.
Thanks, David
Old 19-09-11, 18:48

That's interesting David: I've learnt something!

When we (ie curatorial staff at AWM) were investigating the Kurogane Combination (M/cycle and side car) prior to purchase, all indications were that it shared engine and gearbox components (V twin engine) with the tricycle. The components were, in turn, derived from an early Harley design according to a well-known Harley restorer friend of mine in Sydney.

But 'derived from' does not necessarily mean 'compatible with', of course: the engine might look similar, but that doesn't mean the components were interchangeable. We frankly didn't look that far into it: out main focus was the Kurogane combination on offer to the National Collection, and that part of its history that was significant to Australia.

The AWM has a general email address for inquiries (see the website). They will log your inquiry on 'REFTRACKER', and forward it to the relevant section to provide an answer within the prescribed period (I think within 10 days).

Regards

Mike C
Old 20-09-11, 03:57

Mike,
Thank you very much for your information and help.

I wish I could get him in on this conversation, as I will admit I don't know a Harley from a Honda, and all the finer points are lost with me as a middle man..

Unfortunately, he is without a computer, and probably will never get one.

He's an old school biker to the core, as you can see from the video, but those are the kind of interesting folks you can learn the most from.
Thanks again, David
Old 24-09-11, 16:05

Default Japanese Trike

David,

Do you think your friend would be interested is selling the trike to someone who would also be interested in its restoration? It may be easier to restore one from two.

Thanks, Bryan
Old 26-09-11, 01:37

Hi Bryan,
Well, I can't speak for him, but he is an avid motorcycle collector/nut and this IS a motorcycle, so.....

I have bought several military trucks from him, but they were things he wasn't interested in personally. I've approached him about selling other non-military items, and it was like I was trying to buy his children or something.

I will put it past him and let you know.
Thanks, David
Old 27-09-11, 21:26

David,

Was perusing my library and found US tech manual TM-E 30-480 Handbook of Japanese Military Forces of October 1944, which has a brief section on the Tricycles that may be of interest:

Quote:
"Motor Tricycles (Sanrinsha):

The Motor Tricycle has been developed as a commercial freight carrier in Japan since 1930. Many commercial versions exist, with engines ranging from 350cc to 1,000cc in displacement. Lighter types have single chain drive without differentials, whereas heavier types may have shaft or double train drive, with differentials. Load capacities vary from 300 to 1,000 pounds. A standard three-speed transmission and reverse is used. It is believed that the Army adopted whatever types were available and that no standard Army model exists. Lighter tricycles may have 2-cycle engines, and some 2-cylinder types have been encountered. The usual design, however, is chain driven, with a slow-speed, single cylinder, 4-cycle engine of about 750cc displacement. L=9 foot 6 inches; W = 4 feet 1 inch, Wheelbase = 6 feet 2 inches."
Such was the state of US military knowledge about Japanese tricycles in October 1944!!

Regards

Mike C
Old 29-09-11, 04:09

Thank you Mike for that information!
So, this was probably not a purpose-built model for the Japanese army, but was most likely a civilian/commercial trike impressed into military service? That might explain the hand painted lettering on it that reads " Nippon Oil and Machine Company"?
Thanks, David

Last edited by David DeWeese; 29-09-11 at 04:18.
Old 28-06-12, 04:08

Default not much progress on the trike.......

Hi,
Stopped by John's place while on my vacation last week, and found his Japanese three-wheeled motorcycle in a lesser state of completion than last year....

Took a few more photos of the drivetrain with hopes that someone could identify what brand of manufacture it is.

Am trying to pry this trike from his fingers as he will never get it restored at this rate.....
Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0739.jpg   DSCF0738.jpg   DSCF0737.jpg  

Last edited by David DeWeese; 29-06-12 at 04:27. Reason: removed word
Old 24-04-14, 05:05

Hi,

I have recently been contacted by a gentleman in Italy who is trying to gather more information on Japanese three-wheeled motorcycles. His museum has two, and would greatly appreciate any help to aid in their restoration.

If you know of other surviving examples, or have any source of technical information you could share, please contact Constantino through his museum website: http://www.sidecar.it/home.html

Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
dahiatsu.jpg   HMC.jpg  
Old 24-04-14, 06:02

if its of any assistance Southwards Car Museum (Paraparaumu NZ) also has one of these and sold another incomplete machine as surplus a few years ago

Dave Hardway
Old 28-04-14, 03:53

Thanks, David!

Yes, that information is very helpful. It might not apply to Constantino's two types, which are Daihatsu and Hyogo, but is the same model as my friend John's Kurogane.

I sent an e-mail to their museum.....we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!
David
Attached Thumbnails
museum.jpg  

Last edited by David DeWeese; 28-04-14 at 14:13.