MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 29-02-04, 01:53

Default M43 Cdn.

A friend of mine gave me an 1955 M43 Cdn last fall. The challenge was getting it home as he lives in northern British Columbia and I am near Vancouver, about 1600Km by road.
We managed to make arrangements to have it barged down the coast. Timing was close as the barge company was terminating service to Kitimat, where the ambualnce was, but we got it on the last one out.
I have it in dry storage right now and hope to start work this summer. It appears it was in service as late as the summer of 1976 and has about 23,000 Km on it. It looks worse for wear at this time as it is partially diassembled and a significant amount of surface rust on the body.
The engine is free and it towed well, so I am hoping mechanically it is relatively sound.
I just found this forum recently and wanted to share my new toy.
In the past I have owned a 1950 Power Wagon, a 1955 CJ3B and a Ford CMP (1500cwt with an open box...model?) I have had a line on several universal carriers over the years but never picked one up....always wish I had.
Being a paramedic, I thought the M43 would be the perfect choice.
I will post a pic of it in the near future.
Regards

Randy Neufeldt
Old 01-03-04, 22:26

Default Welcome Aboard !!

Randy, 1600km is dedication ! Good timing too ... last barge out is cutting it awfully close. I own three here in Ontario, happy to help with any free advice that you might need/want but it won't be much different from your previous PW. Just remember that, before you spend $, there ARE differences between an M43CDN and a US M43. Robert in Toronto
Old 02-03-04, 05:44

Robert
Thanks for the kind words and the offer. I have noted the differences between the Cdn and US models and once I get started on it Im sure I'll be looking for advices or just a place to share the accomplishments of getting it back together again.
JD Baillie is not far away in Victoria and as well, there is an active MVPA chapter here.

AS a footnote, my uncle lives not too far from here and served overseas in WW2 as a mechanic. We have discussed Canadian military vehicles and he always has choice words for the front bumpers on the CMP's and the scars on his shins!

Regards
Randy
Old 27-03-04, 05:34

Default Parts & Wiring

Robert
Looking for any Cdn suppliers of parts and wiring for the M43. Are you aware of anyone?
Thanks
Randy
Old 27-03-04, 07:23

Default M43 Parts Suppliers

Being that I live in Toronto, the suppliers that I know are at this end of the country: Brian Asbury in Acton, Ont., : Ralph Journey near Welland, Ont.,: Ralph Kaulback near St. Catherines, Ont.,: Vermont Commercial Salvage just over the border from Montreal are the gents that have helped me with mine.
Old 23-04-04, 08:55
West Coaster

Brian quoted me a good price on an M43 wiring harness complete with signal light leads.

JD