MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 03-06-05, 00:29
Derek Heuring

Default Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Is there a true , one-and-only correct paint colour for a Post D-Day. N.W. Europe, 3rd Cdn. Inf. Div. CMP? I've been doing some research and talking to other collectors and I've received various answers to this question. Some suggest the British colours ranging from brown to green while others say that U.S. olive drab would be correct. Who's right? Any info regarding the correct paint, manufacturer and colour code of available paints would be greatly appreciated.
Another question...when did the Cdn. Army start painting the Allied star on their vehicles? Personally, I'd like to leave that star off if that would be period correct Thanks for any info!

CHEIEMO!
Old 03-06-05, 00:33
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Derek, read paint schemes for CMP trucks.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 03-06-05, 01:34
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Another question...when did the Cdn. Army start painting the Allied star on their vehicles? Personally, I'd like to leave that star off if that would be period correct Thanks for any info!

CHEIEMO!
The star was standard in NW Europe from D-Day to the end of the war. If you're going to paint one on a vehicle in Canadian service, paint it cockeyed about 30 degrees...

What year is your vehicle again, and what period do you intend to portray? If it's D-Day you'd be safe with No.2 (Dog Turd) Brown with mickey mouse pattern camouflage in Very Dark Brown/asphalt (slightly lighter than black). If late fall 1944 or later, you can go with the American Olive Drab, the same WW2 jeep guys use, and no need for camouflage.
Old 03-06-05, 04:44
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
The star was standard in NW Europe from D-Day to the end of the war. If you're going to paint one on a vehicle in Canadian service, paint it cockeyed about 30 degrees...

What year is your vehicle again, and what period do you intend to portray? If it's D-Day you'd be safe with No.2 (Dog Turd) Brown with mickey mouse pattern camouflage in Very Dark Brown/asphalt (slightly lighter than black). If late fall 1944 or later, you can go with the American Olive Drab, the same WW2 jeep guys use, and no need for camouflage.
My CMP is a '42 and I'm planning on a D-Day impression so the No.2 Brown in Mickey mouse is probably the way to go. Any ideas on a good place to find this paint? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-05, 04:59
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Derek, read paint schemes for CMP trucks.
Thanks Hanno! This looks a great web site for info to paint my CMP. I've found some pics online of vehicles painted in the "mickey mouse" pattern. Geoff says that would be correct for D-day. I want my truck to stand out from all the O.D. here in Texas. I've got a real battle on my hands here in the U.S. to educate people that there were other countries involved in WW II!
Old 03-06-05, 05:00

Default Re: Re: Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Quote:
My CMP is a '42 and I'm planning on a D-Day impression so the No.2 Brown in Mickey mouse is probably the way to go. Any ideas on a good place to find this paint? Thanks for the info.
You'll have to get it mixed... either copied from an NOS part (hard to find, although they're out there) or via a formula submitted by one of our esteemed collegues here. I suggest the venerable Mr. Notton may be able to offer the best advice (he's been involved in the production of No.2 [Dog Turd] Brown), but we remain open to the suggestions of others...
Old 05-06-05, 15:50
Chev44

Default A couple of points to add....

...just to muddy the waters.

First of all, the "official" orders to switch from the old roundel air recog sign to the star came around in the period just prior to D Day. Same goes for Italy. Can't remember the exact date but Geoff is correct (oh wise moderator).

Second, I have 8 mm colour film footage of a 12 MD HUP in the UK in the weeks prior to D Day--it is not DTB, but khaki green and with a sprayed-on modified Mickey pattern on it. Sort of elongated vertically a bit. I plan to paint my 44 Chev ther same way....whenever I can get away from landscaping duties that is.

HTH
Don
Old 05-06-05, 16:02

Default Re: A couple of points to add....

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Dingwall
...Second, I have 8 mm colour film footage of a 12 MD HUP in the UK in the weeks prior to D Day--it is not DTB, but khaki green and with a sprayed-on modified Mickey pattern on it. Sort of elongated vertically a bit. I plan to paint my 44 Chev ther same way....whenever I can get away from landscaping duties that is.
Now THAT'S really interesting... too bad you couldn't capture some stills from that clip! Or better yet, make an mpeg out of it...

Old 05-06-05, 21:59
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Quote:
Any ideas on a good place to find this paint?
Derek, if I were you (living in a country where there's only one type of old army truck paint - OD), I'd mix up SCC2 according to Mike Starmer's article (see links on my web page), paint it on a piece of white cardboard and have it computer-matched 'n mixed by your local paint supplier.

H.
Old 05-06-05, 22:39
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Quote:
You'll have to get it mixed... either copied from an NOS part (hard to find, although they're out there) or via a formula submitted by one of our esteemed collegues here. I suggest the venerable Mr. Notton may be able to offer the best advice (he's been involved in the production of No.2 [Dog Turd] Brown), but we remain open to the suggestions of others...

I'm wondering about the efficacy of downloading an image of a dtb vehicle from the internet, printing it, and having it scanned at the paint store. Has anybody ever tried this approach?
By-the-by....I don't think I've ever thanked you Geoff for moderating such a valuable website. It's going to prove invaluable for restoring my truck....Thanks!

Here's a typical example of the usefulness of the W.W.W.:

A Canadian (me) living in America was looking for parts for his British stove on the world wide web when he received info from a Dutchman about a New Zealander selling the required parts. Result: another piece of WW II militaria rescued from the dustbin! Ya gotta love it!
Old 05-06-05, 22:43
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Derek, if I were you (living in a country where there's only one type of old army truck paint - OD), I'd mix up SCC2 according to Mike Starmer's article (see links on my web page), paint it on a piece of white cardboard and have it computer-matched 'n mixed by your local paint supplier.

H.
I'll try that Hanno. Even though I've got the "Green Disease", there's got to be more colours than "Olive Drab!" I'll check out your web page. Thanks!

CHIMO!
Old 05-06-05, 23:24
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Quote:
I'm wondering about the efficacy of downloading an image of a dtb vehicle from the internet, printing it, and having it scanned at the paint store. Has anybody ever tried this approach?
Forget it. The same image viewed on another screen or printed on another printer gives different results. The only option is make paint matched from an part, or even better, matched with an original chip (which is what Mike Starmer did).

H.
Old 06-06-05, 00:07
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
You'll have to get it mixed... either copied from an NOS part (hard to find, although they're out there)
Derek, this what all the fuss was about regarding the e-bay mirrors. One seller has them in SCC2, DTB and light stone. All NOS and not exposed to UV light for 60 years! They continue to be available.
Old 06-06-05, 00:48
Greybeard Member

Default CMP Paint......

Hi there

The vehicle Don saw in the film was probably painted in SCC No. 7 Khaki Green.

Information on this shade of paint turns up here and there in contemporary documentation and would seem to be an alternative to SCC No.2 DTB.

Disruptive patterning would have been in SCC 14 Black.

Look at this photo of a Car 5-cwt for an idea of the colours.

Steve
Attached Images

Old 06-06-05, 01:01
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Correct post D-Day paint for CMP?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Derek, this what all the fuss was about regarding the e-bay mirrors. One seller has them in SCC2, DTB and light stone. All NOS and not exposed to UV light for 60 years! They continue to be available.
I see what you mean about a fuss getting kicked up! Are these mirriors on ebay nos for CMP's or for jeeps as the seller states? Let me know soon, 'cause I'm bidding on the blackout lens and might be able to save some money on shipping. Thanks!
Old 06-06-05, 10:41
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Mirrors

They are Canadian WW2 manufacture for CMP's, not jeeps or GMC's as the seller states.
Old 08-06-05, 00:46
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: when did the Cdn. Army start painting the Allied star on their vehicles - NWE

Quote:
Another question...when did the Cdn. Army start painting the Allied star on their vehicles?
Derek;

The instruction for the painting of "White Five Pointed Stars" on vehicles in First Cdn Army is dated 11 April, 1944 and was issued by Headquarters, First Canadian Army under File No. 72-3-2/SD.

Cheers
Old 08-06-05, 02:04
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: when did the Cdn. Army start painting the Allied star on their vehicles - NWE

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Derek;

The instruction for the painting of "White Five Pointed Stars" on vehicles in First Cdn Army is dated 11 April, 1944 and was issued by Headquarters, First Canadian Army under File No. 72-3-2/SD.

Cheers
Thanks for the info! Ya'll are a great bunch!
Old 20-06-05, 04:34
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default While we're on the subject

I was poking around sites on Norton 16H motorbikes and found this handy chart:

http://home.tiscali.nl/wd16h/colours/Daan_kleur.gif

Couldn't recall seeing it on MLU before.
Old 20-06-05, 05:47
Stephen Kantner

Derek, I wanted to paint my 1942 Mk1 carrier another color than Olive drab as well. I painted it CC#2 turd brown.
I had NOS vision port slats to match the color to,
I also painted the allied red/white/red tri color ID on the side/rear of the carrier.
I live here in eastern PA and wanted to make the carrier --NOT--
look like every olive drab U.S. M.V. out there If you need a color sample let me know My color is 100% on the money matched from a orginal 60 year old part.
Steve K
Old 20-06-05, 19:34
Derek Heuring

Quote:
If you need a color sample let me know My color is 100% on the money matched from a orginal 60 year old part.
Yes! I'd love a colour sample!

My address is:

Derek Heuring
3901 Emerald Park Drive,
Corinth, Tx. 76208

Let me know what you need to cover your costs and I'll get it to you pronto. Thanks again!
Old 21-06-05, 04:43
Stephen Kantner

Derek, I will send it out in the mail tomarrow.
It's only the cost of a stamp
Us Yanks who own these CMP's have to stick together
Stephen Kantner
Reading, Pa
1942 Mk1 carrier
CT113354
Old 21-06-05, 06:12
Stephen Kantner

Derek, It's on the way I mailed it.
I aslo sent you a pic of my carrier"MOLLY" in the CC#2 paint to give you a Idea what it looks like on a vehicle.
Steve Kantner
Old 21-06-05, 14:12
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by 42mk1carrier
Derek, I will send it out in the mail tomarrow.
It's only the cost of a stamp
Us Yanks who own these CMP's have to stick together
Stephen Kantner
Reading, Pa
1942 Mk1 carrier
CT113354

Steve, you're a true gentleman! Thank you! I took my CMP to the Vintage Flying Museum at Meacham airport in Fort Worth last weekend to add to our MVPA Arrowhead Chapter's display and the CMP was the hit of the show. It seems very few CMP's made it to Texas during the war (how's that for understatement!) Everybody was intrigued how Chevy could build a truck that they weren't familiar with until I explained that they were built in Canada. The city of Burleson is holding a special tribute to soldiers wounded in Iraq next Saturday and I've been asked to bring my CMP to that event also. Looks like it might be difficult to find time to work on the ol' girl!
Old 25-06-05, 23:39
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by 42mk1carrier
Derek, It's on the way I mailed it.
I aslo sent you a pic of my carrier"MOLLY" in the CC#2 paint to give you a Idea what it looks like on a vehicle.
Steve Kantner
Steve, the paint sample arrived today, thank you very much! I'm going to take it down to the local paint store next week and see what they can do for me. By the way, "Molly" looks great, especially in that colour. We've got a couple of carriers here, but one is painted green and the other is posing as a captured carrier with an Iron Cross painted on it. My CMP is going to look great in this colour!
Old 26-06-05, 05:25
Stephen Kantner

No problem, In the CC#2 brown it will really stand out from the rest of the M.V. out there, About 3 weeks ago I went to a living history event at our local airport (WWII weekend) And the carrier was a big hit with the public and part of that I am sure was the color. If there is any thing else I can help with Let me know

Steve K