MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-02-12, 16:09

Default Seems to be sales time with parts sources

Hi All

In the last few weeks I have been getting a number of e-mail notifications from parts sources such as MAC's of sales 10-15% off often with shipping discounts. So if you have your parts list might be worth checking your favorite parts sources to see if anything you need is on sale.

Was just looking through the most recent MAC's sale notice http://macsautoparts.com/article.asp...Buyers&lm=macs

Normal disclaimer, no connection with seller. Watch the prices in looking through the pages I see some really good prices and then see other stuff which can be bought in bulk at a fraction the price.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 20-02-12 at 16:13. Reason: Expanded comment
Old 20-02-12, 22:09

I purchased a set of aluminium pistons and matching rings from Jim Carter for 235 Chev when they had a 20% off sale for Australian customers back in January. I was charged $100 for shipping and handling. There was nothing in or on the package to say what the UPS cost was so I am unable to ascertain how much of the $100 was for handling. I would very much like to know as the combined charge seems excessive to me and I'm left wondering if the deal was a bit of a rip off.

I understand that some e-bay sellers offer goods at great prices and then hit you for six on the Postage and Handling and that's where they make their money. Beware !

David
Old 21-02-12, 00:48

Default Good point about shipping

Hi David

Your point to be sure of the shipping charge is a very good one. A sale is not a sale if the packing and shipping price is high. I have been caught on this on e-bay purchases.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 21-02-12, 04:06
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
I purchased a set of aluminium pistons and matching rings from Jim Carter for 235 Chev when they had a 20% off sale for Australian customers back in January. I was charged $100 for shipping and handling. There was nothing in or on the package to say what the UPS cost was so I am unable to ascertain how much of the $100 was for handling. I would very much like to know as the combined charge seems excessive to me and I'm left wondering if the deal was a bit of a rip off.

I understand that some e-bay sellers offer goods at great prices and then hit you for six on the Postage and Handling and that's where they make their money. Beware !

David
Yes absolutely . The USA ebay sellers, more than others, are guilty of overcharging for postage . The USPS cost for a flat rate 20lb box to Australia is $45 US .... I used to buy lathe tooling from a US seller and you can get a lot of bits in a flat rate 9kg box . Some of the postage charges they quote are ridiculous .

I bought a set of 216 alloy pistons on from a us seller on ebay years ago , very reasonable postage but that is a rarity nowadays .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 21-02-12, 04:40

Default Interesting point

I tenmd to buy a fair bit from Ebay these days and there have been a few occasions when I have flatly refused to pay excessive shipping charges, mostly from the USA bot occasionally from the UK (having a very good basis of comparison to work from)

Interestingly on each occasion when I have objected the vendor has cancelled the transaction without comment - almost as if they knew they were 'having a go'

Generally speaking though I find Ebay an excellent source of small parts and hardware.

Jim Carter used to be good to deal with in the days when I was restoring GMC CCKWs and Chevrolet C60L's

Cheers

Phill
Daimler Ferret Mk 2
Land Rover S2A Field Workshop
Land Rover S3 FItted For Radio x2
Land Rover Perentie GS (SASR)
International No 1 Mk 3 2.5 Ton 4x4
International No 1 Mk 4 2.5 Ton 4x4
Old 21-02-12, 15:34
David Gordon

Seems the high costs of shipping is everywhere. Was ordering a pair of headlamp bulbs for my wife's '32 Citroen from a vendor in France. They wanted 29E plus a 1.50E fuel surcharge for shipping to the USA. This was simply for the small bulbs which are smaller than a golf ball and have a weight of about 2 ounces each. Decided to pass on that deal and will continue to search elsewhere for the correct bulbs. (3-Pin 6-Volt 36/45 Watt).

I've also seen several vendors in the UK that do a flat minimum price of 25GBPs for shipping so it only becomes cost effective ordering lots of small and reasonably light parts at one time if you need something. Russell Motors is one but they are a good source for needed M20 parts so am forced to pay to play.

Over here, the USPS just raised prices again across the board so expect the small and medium flat rate boxes to cost more if you use that service. I ship everything USPS priority mail with the flat rate boxes as its their best deal. Usually a flat rate box is within a $1-$2 of the cost of shipping a box with only a few pounds of goods inside and the medium flat rate allows up to 20 pounds on international runs.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel
Old 21-02-12, 16:17

Default Citroen bulbs

For your Citroen bulbs, have you looked at
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html ?
Another source with many bulbs (but not specifically the P45 base) is http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...x?CategoryID=2 contacting them might get availability.
Old 21-02-12, 18:23
David Gordon

Appreciate the leads on bulbs. We're waiting for a reply from another French vendor that also carriers them so will see if they have a more affordable shipping option.

These are for the larger externally mounted antique auto type headlights. Marchal in this case which was one of the types used on the old Citroens and later on higher end sports cars in another format that isn't compatible.

Shot attached shows the little yellow bulbs for anyone else following this...

And Mac's Antique Auto (previously mentioned in the thread) is a great source of parts for several applications. I've used them for some of the more universal parts on my Ford T-16 Carrier as well as on the wife's Citroen. Dark rifle green WWII Ford engine paint as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Marchal.jpg  
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel