MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 21-08-10, 02:29

Default MKII steering parts Dimensions please!

Hi all,
I was hoping for a little help with some measurements. My MKII is nothing but a bare tub inside and I am going to have to fabricate everything. I will attach some pictures with the required dimensions. These are the right angle horns that are mounted to the triangular pads. I am making two assumptions correct me if I am wrong. First I am assuming that the horn on the opposite side is identical just a mirror image of its mate. Secondly I am assuming that the Horn pivots in the exact center of the triangular pad. Having the original steering column and a couple of links and knowing where all the stuff mounts to the hull I am doing ok with back extrapolating sizes. Please excuse the simplicity of the drawing. Phase one will be sizes and shapes. Phase two will be redesign to something capable of being fabricated.
Thanks,
Stephen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CTL 4054B.PDF (39.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf CTL 4056.PDF (59.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf Steering assem.PDF (144.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 21-08-10, 04:53
Bluebell

Default Hi

What is your name?
Your pictures look good. Yes, one side is the mirror image of the other side.
These are what I would call a Bellcrank. Can you get a hold of the Canadian carrier manual.( MkI is the same as a MkII) Following the adjustment instructions will give you some clues. I could do the odd photo if you want. Why dont you ask if someone has any spare bits that you can buy?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 21-08-10, 04:54
Richard Harrison

speak with Martyn from here he had a few sets made at great expense he may have a set left for sale ?.....its worth a try there is quite a bit involved in making the peices up ie bell cranks etc etc

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 21-08-10, 06:04

Default my empty tub

Hi Lynn my name is Stephen DeMocko and I live in Southern California USA. Thanks for the compliments of the pics. I would be interested in knowing pricing of available parts as I have very little. Parts that is only some money. I am most interested in shift linkage stuff. Richard you are right before I get two involved I should contact Martyn as I followed that thread as a lurker before getting "Frank the Tank". At least that is what my friends have dubbed him. I am a Mechanical Engineer that does some CNC programming and machining so I have the facilities to build almost anything. The smart carrier owner knows when to buy and when to build though. I just need to get into the network of parts owners but then there is the added problem of shipping to my location. Can you believe it I have the only Carrier owner on my entire street . Lynn yes I have recently received all the manuals in the mail. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will definitly take your other advice. Does anyone have parts they want to sell?
Old 23-08-10, 09:15
Raphaël

Hello Stephen,

I have these parts, and few others, recovered from a wreck I discovered few years ago in Normandy (I live in Caen - France). They are rusted but still in working conditions. I could send you some photos if you are interested.

I am not interested to sell them but rather make some exchanges with parts I am looking for my own carrier (MKI* converted to MKII*).

Regards,
Raphaël