MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 01-05-11, 15:12

Default C.Y.R. graffiti from Dover, UK.

I've been reading your fascinating forum and thought I would share some interesting graffiti with you that we discovered just two weeks ago. The graffiti was discovered on the walls of an 1860s side arms store on the terrepein of an old Napoleonic Fort known as the Drop Redoubt overlooking the harbour at Dover, UK.

The Drop Redoubt, as we see it today, was built in 1804 and was garrisoned up until the end of WW1 but then fell into disrepair. It is a large five sided moated fort that formed the eastern end of a huge fortification complex known as the Western Heights that was designed to protect the town from French attack should an invasion have commenced.

Although the fort had been virtually abandoned by WW2, it was put back into use for the nights of 19-22nd April 1942 to house a detachment of Canadian commandos from the Carleton and York Regiment, and No.4 Commando. The combined commandos launched a raid around Hardelot near Boulogne under Simon Fraser, the Lord Lovat, and was known as Operation Abercrombie.

Sadly the operation didn't go well for the 50 Canadian Commandos who due to a faulty compass failed to land and their two boats lost contact with each other. The British fared little better as they landed over a mile from their objective, a German searchlight, and only just reached it before Lovat ordered the withdrawal. There was only one injury, a British commando who was shot through the ankles by one of the other British soldiers for failing to answer a challenge.

The graffiti, as far as I can make out, reads:

1) G21001 Pvt (?) AKERLEY D.Coy C.Y.R. Canada Apral 22 1942

2) ROYAAL DINGHY W.SPRING T.R. B.Coy C.Y.R. Canada

The Canadian contingent was led by a Lt. J.P. Ensor who later became a Major, I believe. Sixty men stayed behind in the Drop Redoubt, not taking part in the raid so it is possible they were part of this group.

As a member of the local society that cares for the fort and tries to promote it's history, I'd love to find out any information about these men, or others, prior to our public open day in June.

I hope this has been of some interest. Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Commando graffiti 2.jpg   Commando graffiti.jpg  

Last edited by Phil Eyden; 01-05-11 at 15:23.
Old 17-06-11, 20:59

I've managed to track down one of the two commandos. It was George Leonard Akerley of Saint-Léonard, Canada (G/21001). I believe he came to the UK in 1939 and married, having two children. His brother Percy Akerley was part of the same military group. He was assigned to D. Company of the CYR.

He was sent with the CYR as part of the first wave during Op. Husky, the invasion of Sicily on the 10th July 1943 and sadly killed in action the following day at the age of 30.

He is buried in Grave 338, Row F, Plot C, of Agira War Cemetary, Sicily.

I'd love to track down a relative and send them a photo and some information of my discovery. Fortunately I managed to find out the above and incorprate it with a photo into our display board in the nick of time for our open days at the Drop Redoubt last weekend.

Still no joy with Pvt. Spring unfortunately. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Aber.jpg  

Last edited by Phil Eyden; 17-06-11 at 21:05.
Old 09-09-11, 10:52

I've now found evidence of Pvt. Everett Ricker at the fort. He served in D. Coy CYR, went on to be wounded twice in Italy but survived the war.

Is this topic of interest to anybody?
Old 09-09-11, 11:18
Tony Baker

Default Are we interested.....hell YES!

Hey Phil,

A lot of us will be hugely interested.

This is great stuff.

A piece of history brought alive by your research.

Thanks for your efforts!!!!!

Old 09-09-11, 12:31

The CnY Regiment later turned into 1 Royal New Brunswick Regiment which is my old reserve regiment out of Frederiction New Brunswick.
Had some great times and not so great times.
Jason
Old 09-09-11, 18:01

Thanks Tony and Jason.

Here is G17817 Pvt Everett Ricker's name for you. The other photo is one of the old 1860s caponiers where I've worked out the CYR were billeted. It wasn't quite as derelict as it appears now, as 70 years ago the fort had wooden floors and electric lighting. Still, the place was pretty ghastly to be holed up for a few nights as for security reasons they were not allowed out down town.

To pass their time the soldiers played darts - I've found the trace of where they hung up a board as it is circular mark, just the right height and defined by pin pricks. The pillar in the centre of the photo is covered in pencil score marks.

Does anyone here have the CYR War Diary covering the period of the raid? I'd love to have a look at the report.
Attached Thumbnails
G17817 Ricker.jpg   Cap 2.jpg   Drop moats.jpg  
Old 10-09-11, 17:24

Phil, Best place to start would be the war museum in Ottawa, I have a list of unit dead some where in my office could take a bit to find.
I have to go to town in the next few days can swing by the armorys and see the historical officer...but i have my doupts that will help you as no reserve unit is good records keepers..I will see what i can find.
Jason
Old 10-09-11, 17:26

Pte Rickers is that B coy or D coy...or is that even what it is?
Old 10-09-11, 18:45

Thanks Jason - much appreciated.

Agreed, it could be B Company, but I thought it said D Company, the handwriting is slightly ambiguous. Members of both B and D Companies were present in the fort so that doesn't really help very much.

It is definitely Everett Ricker as the service number corresponds exactly with the list of CYR wounded in Robert Tooley's 'Invicta' history.
Old 11-09-11, 16:17

Its kind of funny as i was part of B coy too..I will see what can be had for you this week.
Old 11-09-11, 17:40
aut viam inveniam aut fac

There are 3 AKERLEY s listed in Quebec
St leonard is an area in Montreal

David A in Rigaud Qc tel=(450) 451-5321 (about 20km west of montreal)
K. A in Montreal (514) 270-0381
V. A in Terrebonne (450) 477-8643 (about 30 km north of Montreal)

i phoned K A..not home-roomate answered) but apparently a young woman (20-ish) so a George might have been a grandfather or even Great grandad

PS= 84 phone listings in total for Akerley's across Canada

Last edited by Marc Montgomery; 11-09-11 at 17:49.
Old 11-09-11, 20:48

There is also a St Leonard in northern New brunswick, Near the Quebec Border, some of my family is from there.
Old 11-09-11, 21:14

Cheers Jason, and thank you for trying for me Marc, it's really appreciated.

Jason is spot on - the town George Akerley came from was indeed that in New Brunswick. Since I started this thread back in April, I have found George's nephew (via a social networking site!) and we have been corresponding.

From looking at the casualty list in Robert Tooley's book it seems that George was the very first person to be killed in the Regiment during the invasion of Sicily. I think he was one of the very first batch of volunteers to come to the UK in December 39 and would have spent the next two-and-a-bit years endlessly training. No wonder that when the opportunity finally came for action during the Hardelot raid, three soldiers tried to sneak on to the boats who had not been selected but were caught - they were that keen to get into action!

I've still had no joy at all with the soldier named W. SPRING though, but looking at it again it could be SPRINGER.

This Pathe news reel details the raid. The briefing by Lord Lovat glimpsed at the beginning took place on the parade ground of the very fort I am trying to research:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=22606

Sadly I've no idea if George took part in the raid or was left behind at Dover.

To place all of this into a context, I'm trying to research it as I'm a volunteer member of a local preservation society who try to caretake the old fort at weekends.
Old 25-09-11, 20:58

This afternoon I found the attached sketch scrawled in pencil on the wall of one of the caponiers we know the CYR contingent were stationed in. It is extremely hard to interpret but might be a plan of attack. The wavy line at the top with an arrow could be zig-zag route to be taken by the assault boats. Or the whole thing might just be a wiring diagram!
Attached Thumbnails
P1160335 plan No.3 caponier enh.jpg  
Old 25-09-11, 21:05

A little further evidence from writing on the wall. 'Not to be used for washing purposes'. I can imagine jerry cans of drinking water stacked blow the sign.
Attached Thumbnails
P1160235 enh s.jpg