MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 03-08-11, 14:59
Mr. HUP

Default CMP Art

I have been collecting electronic version and published cartoons, advertisements and other drawings of CMP vehicles. I am now trying to find examples of wartime art (paintings, drawings etc...) from commercial, private and miitary artist sources that showcase our vehicles.

Eventually I would like to obtain a print, oil painting or even a sculpture of one of the CMP fleet in action. I note with great interest the "Airfix" thread (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16965) where one of our own has put his talent on display.

I spoke with a local artist (Colonel Andre Gauthier - well known in the military art field http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/?p=1080) about the possiblity of commissioning him to produce a 8X10 inch bas-relief epoxy based sculpture that involved a number of various CMP vehicles arriving at a traffic control point in Holland (or Normandy). The initial thought was to have a motorcycle and jeep at a cross roads with a military or regimental policeman directing traffic. A UC, one C15 and a F15 would be clearly represented, and if the artist can make it happen perhaps a C15TA can be thrown in.

The cost to commission a piece of art for a limited run will be significant, and the resulting piece would be pricy. $2-$300 per is my initial planning figure for a 50 piece run - this does not include any administration, shipping, handling fees or taxes.

While I have many details to sort out, the main challenge would be to determine the "demand" for such a piece of art. So I put it to you collectors and restorers, would you spend that much for a piece of art?

Would a cheaper "Chinese made" alternative be more desireable ($50-$100)? The problem with the Chinese option is that you have to order in volume (hundreds to thousands). This option may be less pricy but also less practical.

I would be interested to know if there is indeed a demand for a CMP themed sculpture by an artist, or any interest at all in commissioning an artist to produce a series of CMP prints.
Old 03-08-11, 18:01

Default Alex Colville

I have a rare copy of Alex Collville, war artist http://www.mta.ca/library/courage/al...rdrawings.html
that contains a large number of very detailed pencil sketches of trucks carriers and armoured cars. Trucks are mostly Cab 12 drawings he made while in england. Later ones on the continent are a little rougher but are of some interesting scenes. The book is only pencil sketchs not the works he later finished in a studio.
Old 03-08-11, 18:47

Default Heres an online sample

http://collections.civilization.ca/p....php?irn=30408
Old 03-08-11, 23:17

I have professional drawings of a Champ and a Humber on my wall at the moment, so yes there is definately some interest. Go for quality, and the more local you have it done, the more "control" (non-artistic) you can have over the project outcome.
I would close the door now on any suggestions for the scene, 'cause you will never please everyone. Having a Jeep shown would make commercial sense as it opens up a huge market of collectors with more money than.......Better stop there.
Ready by Christmas??
Rich.
Old 04-08-11, 07:29
RIP

Default Re. CMP Art

Hi Mr. Hup - does your $200-$300 include the artwork and final product? My proviso for this would be that the traffic directing cop would have to look like Clint Eastwood from Kellys Heroes. I would be interested in one.

Champ Rich - I take it that your professional drawings of the Champ and Humber are actually on your toilet wall.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 04-08-11, 08:29

Now, now Bob: Think your forgetting who was responsible for me getting the Humber!

So thats two takers? Anymore...
Rich.
Old 04-08-11, 14:38
RIP

Default Humber

Hi Rich - we should not be hijacking this thread but the only reason I got you the Humber was to get it out of South Australia.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 04-08-11, 20:43
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
I spoke with a local artist (Colonel Andre Gauthier - well known in the military art field http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/?p=1080) about the possiblity of commissioning him to produce a 8X10 inch bas-relief epoxy based sculpture that involved a number of various CMP vehicles arriving at a traffic control point in Holland (or Normandy). The initial thought was to have a motorcycle and jeep at a cross roads with a military or regimental policeman directing traffic. A UC, one C15 and a F15 would be clearly represented, and if the artist can make it happen perhaps a C15TA can be thrown in.
While I was still serving, we commissioned Col Gauthier, to do a number of works, for the regiment. His work is really impressive. I was to his studio (home), a couple of times in the mid 90's.

Cheers