MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 04-05-05, 00:32

Default vehicle usage in bridge coys.

What kind of vehicles would the 2 Canadian bridge coys have used as basic means of transportation ? My grandfather told me he used to drive a deuce and a half. I was always under the impression that this was the standard U.S. light truck ? He also told me it was RHD, so I guess it can't be the deuce he was driving ? Does anyone have info about C company (or platoon) in 86 Bridge coy. ? I can't find anything in their war diary about this.
Old 04-05-05, 16:07
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: vehicle usage in bridge coys.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc - Belgium
What kind of vehicles would the 2 Canadian bridge coys have used as basic means of transportation ? My grandfather told me he used to drive a deuce and a half. I was always under the impression that this was the standard U.S. light truck ? He also told me it was RHD, so I guess it can't be the deuce he was driving ? Does anyone have info about C company (or platoon) in 86 Bridge coy. ? I can't find anything in their war diary about this.
Hi Marc;

No. 86 Bridge Company, R.C.A.S.C. basic establishment was 750 all ranks, with a vehicle strength of 450 vehicles. The basic organization was:

- a Company Headquarters
- a Workshop Platoon
- a Royal Canadian Engineers Detachment (later Platoon)
- 10x Task Platoons, broken down into: 3x Bailey Bridge Platoons, 2x Bailey Pontoon Platoons, 2x Folding Boat Equipment Platoons, 1x Close Support Raft Platoon, 1x Assault Platoon and 1x Heavy Bailey Bridge Platoon.

In the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, the 'Platoons' used 'Alpha' designations, example: "A" Platoon, "B" Platoon, etc.

Basic vehicles used:

- Lorry, 3, 6 or 10 Ton, GS (General Service)
- Lorry, 4 Ton, 6-WH, FBE (Folding Boat Equipment)
- Lorry, 4 Ton, 6-WH, GS
- Lorry, 4 Ton, 6-WH, Pontoon

the majority of the 'basic transport used' was Diamond-T's.

Your Grandfather may be referring to the Lorry, 6 Ton, General Service (Mack), which looks similar to the American 'deuce-and-a-half'.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 05-05-05, 22:58

Default Bridge Coys

Hi Mark

Looks like you have a valuable source of information.

Do you have anything on Bridge Coys establishments in the UK prior to 1942 particularly 1st and 2nd Divs? This would pre date the Diamonds coming on line I guess.

I am guessing that establishments would be made up of 6x4 (dead rear axel) F60H 11 and 12 cab pontoon carries with C30 and F30 Derrick trucks to do the handling logistic support given by the usual mix of F and C 60's and 15's

Can you shed any light?

Regards

Pete
Old 06-05-05, 01:55

Default Re: Bridge Coys

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Do you have anything on Bridge Coys establishments in the UK prior to 1942 particularly 1st and 2nd Divs? This would pre date the Diamonds coming on line I guess.

I am guessing that establishments would be made up of 6x4 (dead rear axel) F60H 11 and 12 cab pontoon carries with C30 and F30 Derrick trucks to do the handling logistic support given by the usual mix of F and C 60's and 15's
Pete,

At that time they may also have been using British 3 ton 6x4 bridging trucks, such as Albion. If you remember the photos at Beltring, taken around this way, there is a convoy of Canadian Bridging trucks and amongst them what could be an Albion (or Guy, Leyland, etc).

Richard