MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 19-08-10, 03:33
Squid out of water.

Default M38a1 cdn

Ok, so it goes without saying that I am going to have a lot of questions for those much more experienced than I as I go through the process of putting my M38A1CDN2 back on the road. That said, I also don't want to clutter up the forum with unnecessary threads. So, I am going to post all of my questions from now on in this thread.

So my current dilemma has to do with the brakes. I know that I need to replace much of my current brake system (the master cylinder is toast for starters), and the question is what I should replace it with (stock or upgrades) and where is the best place to get it. I am sure one of you with an M38A1 has had to tackle this project, and I'm interested in hearing all about it.

Thanks!
Old 19-08-10, 04:22
Terry Warner

Default brakes

Watching for information. That is second on the to-do list for mine.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 19-08-10, 05:15
carrier mech

Nothing wrong with the stock system as long as you don't expect brakes like you have on todays cars.

Parts for the Cdn2 are pretty standard jeep stuff. Right off, order a master cylinder, two 3/4 wheel cylinders and two 1" cylinders. There will also be a total of 4 flex lines, if you are keeping the jeep for the long term, or if the lines are showing their age, you will want to replace those as well. Sometimes the little "S" lines on the front are beyond salvage, although with a bit of ingenuity they can be disassembled without twisting them apart.

In all likelihood the drums are scored or warped. You can have them turned, but new ones are not that pricey. The shoes themselves can possibly be cleaned if they are oil soaked, or you can replace with new.

The Cdn two brakes were a fairly simple setup, and were not what is known as "self energizing". That feature was on the Cdn3 series. So when you have installed all those parts, and set up the brakes as best you can, don't be surprised if they won't lock up on demand. More likely the braking will be like coasting to a stop for the first 50 to 100 miles until the shoes really set in to the drums. Until they are, you may only have a portion of the friction material contacting the drums. This can be overcome by having the shoes arced into the drums, or time can do it for you.

While you are in the rear axle area, don't forget that the bearings in there are manually packed. There is an important seal on the inside area of the axle housing which should prevent oil from making it to the bearings.