MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 08-07-10, 08:55

Default Advice on first carrier

Hello all

I'm new to the forum and i'm after some help regarding my first carrier.

Can any of you point me in the right direction when it comes to does and don'ts, Which versions are the easiest to maintain etc. Am i better restoring one or trying to find a runner? Is there any recommened reading about them to build my knowledge base? Are maintanence books available to help with restorations? what is to be avoided.

Thanks in advance for your help, any advice that would help will be greatly appreciated.

Ben
Old 08-07-10, 09:07
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Carriers

Hi Ben

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful advice here. Many of us are carrier owners and restorers.

It might help if you tell us a little about yourself, what you want to use it for, how much restoration work you intend doing, and what part of the UK you're in so others in your area can assist.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 08-07-10, 09:12

Hi Ben,
Welcome to the forum. the best advice i can give is if you find a carrier for sale keep it to your self untill the deal is done. Im still looking for one and they are never for sale for long, and there are many people after them. As you will see from old posts on the forum anything is restorable.

Happy hunting.
Pete.

(ps having said all that, if you find 2 and only want one let me know as i have been looking for one for ages and keep missing them)
Old 08-07-10, 10:59

Ben I'm in Poole Dorset. I own a restored MK2. Nigel Watson from this forum has writen huge amounts of information in two large books called "UNIVERSAL CARRIERS". Vol 1 covers MK1 variants, Vol 2 is for the MK2's. I expect you can google these or we can give you ISBN's. You can also Google Rob Van Meel for reprint military books. No doubt more info will come from others. Ron
Old 08-07-10, 11:36
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
Nigel Watson from this forum has writen huge amounts of information in two large books called "UNIVERSAL CARRIERS". Vol 1 covers MK1 variants, Vol 2 is for the MK2's. I expect you can google these or we can give you ISBN's.
Good advice, read everything you can on this forum and in Nigel's books: http://www.universalcarrierbook.co.uk/

As for restoring one or trying to find a runner, this is a matter of available skills and budget, and also whether you enjoy doing a restoration or are more of a person who likes to drive it.

And welcome to this forum and let us know how you fare!

HTH,
Hanno
Old 09-07-10, 19:57
Richard Harrison

Hi and wlecome to the forums buddy, I cant really add anything else to what has been told.

i spent a year looking for one which suited my budget, i was very lucky with my find and my pals over the pond really came through for me.

things i considered before taking the plunge were

1) storage space you garage or workshop cannot be any less than 12ft x 8ft !

2) do you have / possess access to toolage, skillset for restoring a vehicle of this nature to a good standard.

3) do you have time to restore one ? as these beasts can and do swallow a big lump of your time, restoring a carrier IMHO is a big commitment.

4) Logistics:- an average Mk1 or Mk2 will weigh in between 3.75 - 4.5 tonnes so to take them any distance you need a lowloader. you could drive everywhere but your tracks and sprockets wont last and its getting harder to find usable replacements (hence the track thread here)

5) above all else BUDGET...... it is not by any means a cheap vehicle to restore especially if it is a lower tub up job like many have had to do...George Mckenzie, Martyn Tasker, Myself.....and many others... if you can get our Brothers over in Canada and Australia to keep theyre eyes peeled it is my experience that it is cheaper and better to buy over seas as our British lot go crackers with price tags over here.... unless your name is Kevin Wheatcroft, then price will not matter

to give you a glimmer, Dirk Leegwater had a fantastic restoration carrier very very complete and he was asking 14k for it.......it sold very quickly ! this is where some feel it is best to keep carrier locations close to your chest until money has passed...

mind on the flipside of the above dont get suckered in to paying stupid money for one as they do come up often and sometimes at a very reasonable / affordable price.

well having not had much to add i have still rambled on........cant help it !

Cheers

Richie

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 09-07-10, 23:10

Thank you all

I'm not 100% sure what sort of project i'm after but access to manufacturing and restoration equipment isn't a problem if i did decide to go that route. I think an easier restoration first time out makes sense.

My biggest issue is what to look out for when buying one, what parts can be replaced/remade and what parts are the hens teeth?

I have read that buying one from Canada etc can be a better bet even with the shipping costs.

Do drawings exist to remake parts or do bits have to be made from original patterns?

I know I have loads of questions, but i'm keen to get the low down.

Thanks again

Ben
Old 09-07-10, 23:22

There's a nice looking carrier just turned up on the for sale section here. Ron
Old 10-07-10, 18:57
David Gordon

Good tracks and road wheels with decent rubber would be key things to look for on a project vehicle once you have decided what type of carrier you want to restore. Metal on the hull and panels can be manipulated or fabricated from scratch fairly easy compared with trying to make your own tracks or cast new rubber for wheels.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel