MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-09-22, 05:17

Default More 13" rim questions

I have the wheel business for my project sorted out, but I did want to get a better idea of what 13” x 6 ½" wide rims and lug patterns would have been in North Africa during 1941. I understand, reading your past conversations, that most would have had a 6-bolt pattern. What vehicles did these rims come on? The only 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern 13” x 6.6 wide rims would have been the C11A-1015 as used on the E01A ? Am I correct that most of these cars originally came with 16” wheels and were modified to fit the 9.00x 13 tires? I gather these cars were relatively rare. Thanks again for your help.
Old 26-09-22, 12:09
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The E01A used C11A-1015 wheels (with a 5 on 5 1/2 lug pattern) on the standard Ford Passenger Car or 1/2 Ton pickup front and rear hubs with no modifications other than replacing the wheels. I would think the splined hub with these wheels would have presented as a weakness in harsh service conditions, as the rear axle design wasn't particularly robust used on a sedan in on-highway conditions with standard wheels!

The C11ADF used the rear axle and front hubs from the Ford F8 CMP. The rear axle is from a Ford 1 ton truck with full-floating rear wheel bearings, and is much sturdier than the Pass. Car or pickup rear axle. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...7&postcount=57 But the hubs (and the matching wheels) are a mystery, as the 1 Ton axle has 5 lug hubs and drums.

The Chevrolet C8 CMP also used these same 6 lug wheels, but they went about it a different way using Chev parts. The C8 uses a Chev 1 Ton rear axle with 6 on 5 1/2 lugs, but then adds a cast iron spacer to adapt to the larger PCD and lugs used with the 13" wheels. The front hub uses a cast 1 piece hub on the 1 Ton spindle with a special brake drum. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...5&postcount=17

What the 6 lugs wheels were originally from is a mystery, as both Ford and Chev had to make modifications or adapters to use them, they weren't heavy duty parts off the shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
f8_2.jpg   1 Ton rear.jpg   img_4511.jpg  
Old 26-09-22, 19:06

Default wheels

thanks again. The knowledge on this forum is impressive and very helpful for a noves.
Old 26-09-22, 19:38

Default Wheels

Just to add to the wheel mystery, the F8 that I sold to David Moore had 600:16 tires mounted on it. The previous owner to me (I bought the truck at his estate auction) had told me that he sourced the wheels from Princess Auto in the late 1950’s because he couldn’t find 13” tires. The 16” wheels were split rims that had a lock ring similar to commercial trucks and a flat plate centre with the CMP 6 bolt pattern. I wonder if the six bolt wheel pattern was also used on industrial equipment in the 40’s and 50’s and used 16” tires. There were pictures on the old forum of the f8 when David purchased it about 2004, but I don’t know how to access them.
Old 27-09-22, 04:01

Default rims

that could be i notice a lot of the military design spilled into implement stuff. I will post some pictures of my project when i get somewhere with it.
scott
Old 27-09-22, 13:51

Default rim

Do you have a intruction date for the C11A-1015 rim .
scott