MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > Canadian Military Vehicle Organisations > Ontario Military Vehicle Association News

Notices

Old 27-04-18, 14:59

Default OMVA Milton 2018

OMVA Milton 2018, in conjunction with Steam-Era, is scheduled for Friday August 31st to Monday September 3rd, Labour Day weekend. Look forward to seeing everyone there...stay tuned for more info!
Attached Thumbnails
2018 OMVA Milton Advertisement.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)
Old 03-08-18, 14:44

Default OMVA Milton 2018

Hello to All. Just a quick reminder that OMVA Milton 2018 is fast approaching...Labour Day Weekend...only four weeks to go. For those who have not attended previously, this is a excellent opportunity to bring out your MV and have a great time with fellow OMVA members. If you are attending with an MV, you will be granted complimentary admission. Entrance into the park with vehicles is through the service entrance, just a few hundred feet south of the main public entrance. There are daily vehicle parades and there will be a Military Vehicle only parade on Saturday afternoon. If you plan to attend without an MV, entrance will be through the park's main gate and regular admission ($12.50) will have to be paid. Vehicle award presentations will start at 4pm Saturday afternoon and then followed by an OMVA Member and family BBQ. If you wish to camp on site, there still may be some campsites available. There are showering facilities. The following links will take you to the Steam Era website where you can find contact info for camping and more info.

http://www.steam-era.com/
http://www.steam-era.com/camping.html

If you are planning to attend with or without a MV, please let us know so that we can prepare name tags. Vehicle details would be appreciated. Also...if you're planning to be there for the BBQ, please let us know so we can plan for enough food. If you are bringing a MV, licenced or not, and you wish to participate in any of the vehicle parades or drive around the park, liability insurance is required.

If you have any questions, please ask. Hope to see as many of you as possible.
1943 GM HUA (Project)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 04-08-18 at 18:32. Reason: Clarification on type of insurance required.
Old 03-08-18, 23:58

Don't forget the side shows at the event, I think I heard Les Fisher will be giving a whipping and rope splicing seminar for those interested. I am sure others will share their talents in other areas.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 04-08-18, 14:59
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

..vehicle parades or drive around the park, vehicle insurance is required.

that sucks the fun out of it

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 04-08-18, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fitton View Post
..vehicle parades or drive around the park, vehicle insurance is required.

...that sucks the fun out of it
The whipping side show may make up for it. Perhaps do that part twice?
Old 04-08-18, 17:00
3RD ECHELON WKSP

That brings up a curious question regarding insurance.
Is this a requirement of the OMVA or that if the host (Steam Era)?
I am wondering if and how all the collectors that display their antique farm tractors insure themselves for such an event?
Does the OMVA not carry liability insurance that acts as an umbrella for those operating vehicles as part of a group function?

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 04-08-18, 18:27

There are many facets to the insurance Chris, while the OMVA has insurance it is typically the responsibility for those running vehicles around to be insured.

The sub atomic hair splitting and finger pointing of who is liable for what will likely take this thread viral, but in my basic understanding the OMVA insurance would (and I am willing to stand corrected) cover someone exhibiting a vehicle and another person tripped on a corner and sued. That is different than if you were trundling around the site in your universal carrier and flattened muffy the family pet.

That is kind of my take on it. Maybe the wise elders of OMVA can expand on it. I know my CL70 if brought will not be insured but then again it wont be running just yet.

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 04-08-18, 20:58
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Thanks Robin I understand that part but how have guys gotten away with operating the likes of carriers etc at shows then? I will bet the owners are not insured as typically the event provides coverage of some sort.
I am sure all the collectors and farmers who attend this venue carry zero liability insurance, typically all these sorts and types of equipment are not insurable eg
antique steak engines, bulldozers, universal carriers etc.
I’d be interested to know how and if insurance is obtainable.
What about those persons zipping around the shows on golf carts, mini bikes etc?
Suppose everyone is taking a chance these days. Once again, is this request that if the OMVA or the host?

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 04-08-18, 21:07

Chris,

some look at life through rose coloured lenses.

The organisers are stating what needs to be said for due diligence. No one is gong to stand there and demand to see proof of insurance, yet.

The subject of carriers and various vehicles and insurance has been done to death in my opinion and caused many a bun fight, I have seen and been involved in a few.

I think we all know what is required, and most act within the rules as adults should. Others choose to do differently, which is why some don't attend certain events with them or stay away from them.

Our veterans fought for our right to follow rules or not and be persecuted or prosecuted accordingly.

I think that covers most aspects now.

What are you bringing down Chris? The Mule?

2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Two Canam 250s
Old 04-08-18, 21:20
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Thanks Robin I understand that part but how have guys gotten away with operating the likes of carriers etc at shows then? I will bet the owners are not insured as typically the event provides coverage of some sort.
I am sure all the collectors and farmers who attend this venue carry zero liability insurance, typically all these sorts and types of equipment are not insurable eg
antique steak engines, bulldozers, universal carriers etc.
I’d be interested to know how and if insurance is obtainable.
What about those persons zipping around the shows on golf carts, mini bikes etc?
Suppose everyone is taking a chance these days. Once again, is this request that if the OMVA or the host?
If you bring an antique tractor to the International Ploughing Match they require proof of $2 million liability insurance. I'm not sure if that is the tractor individually insured or as part of the farm owner's property insurance. For carriers and other non-insurable vehicles, I wonder if there is a two day/$30 policy you might get for the event.
Old 05-08-18, 03:16

Default t

Hi guys, I am coming late to the thread. So here is my take on it. The point of Terry’s comment is to please come out to the event. It’s a fun weekend and if you have an MV like a carrier, Amoured car or a bike then this is your chance to drive it around the large event without worrying about it! I have plates on my Command Car so no big deal for me. Steam engines being driven by 9 year old kids with his grandpa and combines with the knives and head spinning will be seen and no one seems to care. There are no licence plates on them either, just like you carrier, amoured car or perhaps your bike. You will see wood cutting and many other machinery operating with no or little gaurds and other safety equipment. That’s because back then they just didn’t have any. At night you can stay warm standing between the line up of stut down steam engines while watching the tractor pull.
We as the executive of the OMVA need to tell you to insure your vehicle so we as the executive can be seen doing our due diligence! No one will be policing it, but you already know if you have insurance or need it or can obtain it. If you go to the steam era web site they also ask for it as well. So say you are a guy named Barry (not the guy I know)and you have a MV that runs over something, some buddy or just runs into something. We as the OMVA is insured and always have been even before I became the President ! If your Barry and you don’t have some sort of insurance then your not insured !
The point I want to make is please come out to the event as it’s a fun weekend driving around, watching the huge interest in our green stuff. It’s fun to chat with each other talking about our stuff meeting new people and the BBQ is great!
I can’t stress it more then drag it out, display it so others can enjoy it and you !
Old 05-08-18, 04:58
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Thanks guys for the comments, by no means did I intend to create a controversy.
I was simply interested to understand how insurance is applied within a special interest group such as the MV world, antique tractor enthusiasts and the like..
Is there such a thing as personal liability insurance available to the likes of us for such things? I have always wondered about the potential “what if” situation.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 05-08-18, 05:20

Unfortunately we as the executive of the OMVA can’t answer that. That’s a question you should put to your agent. We can only try to provide a venue that will induce you and others to come out and enjoy a great event. Please come out and bring a MV bring your family and friends get your friends to join the club and stay for the BBQ.
Old 05-08-18, 15:27

Chris, I have two tractors that both have liability insurance through my home owners policy. Both tractors are listed separately and the older, higher horsepower one costs a little more than the new lower horsepower one. The cost of both is minimal. I had my Bren Gun Carrier listed on my automobile insurance for liability only. They stressed the fact that asphalt damage was not covered. Insurance was a requirement for participating in Armed Forces Day at CFB Borden and the Trenton Air Show. All the years I did that I was never asked for proof but you can bet your bippy that if there ever was an accident the base would have washed their hands of me pretty fast.
Cheers,
Barry
Old 10-08-18, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Witiuk View Post
OMVA Milton 2018, in conjunction with Steam-Era, is scheduled for Friday August 31st to Monday September 3rd, Labour Day weekend. Look forward to seeing everyone there...stay tuned for more info!
Being new to this hobby are there any jeeps for sale that show up at the meet? Which day attracts the most vehicles?
Old 11-08-18, 14:13

Default OMVA Milton 2018 - Vehicles for Sale

Sam. Biggest day for vehicle turnout is Saturday. In the last few years, there haven't been any jeeps on display with "For Sale" signs on them but that doesn't mean that they are not. This is a great opportunity to meet/chat with vehicle owners and you never know what can come out of such a discussion. If you're there and express interest in purchasing a vehicle, this can often result in a lead for a vehicle that may be for sale elsewhere or possibly make an owner think about selling. Hope to see you there.
1943 GM HUA (Project)
Old 11-08-18, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Witiuk View Post
Sam. Biggest day for vehicle turnout is Saturday. In the last few years, there haven't been any jeeps on display with "For Sale" signs on them but that doesn't mean that they are not. This is a great opportunity to meet/chat with vehicle owners and you never know what can come out of such a discussion. If you're there and express interest in purchasing a vehicle, this can often result in a lead for a vehicle that may be for sale elsewhere or possibly make an owner think about selling. Hope to see you there.
I look forward to meeting/chatting and getting educated on the vehicles.

Thanks Terry!
Old 26-08-18, 16:16

Red face Omva milton 2018

Hello to All. Just five days to go. If you’re an OMVA member and plan to be there with your MV, please let us know. If you’re an OMVA member and plan to be there for our Saturday BBQ, again, please let us know. Look forward to seeing you there!
1943 GM HUA (Project)
Old 04-09-18, 14:27

Default Omva milton 2018

Thanks to everyone who came out...awesome weekend that ended way too fast! Shall post some pics later this week.
1943 GM HUA (Project)
Old 04-09-18, 18:11
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

If anyone found a funny bolt lying around, the stand for the BSA is missing one...

2. what happened to the M38a1 that only made it back to the bottom of the hill?

f

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)