MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-03-03, 17:47
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Personal Printers

Recommendations, gentlemen? My old HP 1200C has finally croaked and it's time to find a replacement. It's NOT used for business, just casually, but I WOULD like to have the capability to print on various mediums (for business cards, overhead transparencies etc). It'll be hung off one of the PCs upstairs, with network access to all through print-sharing and my Linksys router. The drivers HAVE to be available for both Windows 98 SE and XP Pro.

What gives me the most bang for the buck?
Old 14-03-03, 19:10

Default HP 1220 Cxi

I've replied to your request on another means, but I have been using a HP 1220Cxi printer for a couple of years using ME and XP Home. I am very happy with its' capabilities and have had no problems so far. It will handle HP transparency sheets, although I have not tried them. I am quite happy with the 11 x 17 work that it has produced for me.

GW
Old 14-03-03, 19:19
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Hi George!

Thanks, I noticed your reply elsewhere as well...

Appreciate you dropping by here; my old N54 forum, operational over four years, proved to be popular yet unreliable. I bought this software and put it online scarcely a month ago, and find it even more efficient than that "other" place!

Happy to have you here, and I hope as time goes on and our topics flesh out that you'll find our community equally as interesting; certainly, we're equally as international, yet much more focussed and much less confrontational.

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 14-03-03, 19:31

Default Good format

I find your format on this forum excellent. I really like the ability to read down the whole thread, rather than scrolling up and down, especially on those long posts.

More on the printer...A factor that caused me to pick this printer was not only the ability to do some larger format printing, but the Ink catridges. I originally was looking at some of the Zerox and Cannon printer that had seperate carts. for each colour, but so far it has not been a major concern with this HP printer. A large Black Cart and a Three Colour Cart loaded side by side have lasted quite a while.

GW
Old 15-03-03, 15:35
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Printers

Hi Geoff '

I have a old HP 800 series and the cost of replacement cartridges makes it a non practical machine . I can buy a new printer for the same price as two new 800 series cartridges .

I recommend that you look at the cost of the replacement ink cartridges before you buy any new printer , because this is how the manufacturers make all their money .

You can refill them a few times but eventually they clog up or dry up and you have to buy new ones .

Mike
Old 15-03-03, 20:18

Smile Printer

Geoff;

I just bought a HP PSC 750 at Staples for 200.00. it is a copier/printer/scanner all in one. I just finished printing off some photos on glossy paper and you would be hard pressed to ID them from your commercial developer. Fast as well. It copies as fast as a regular large copier, prints 11-19 pages a minute depending on your required quality and scans in about 3 seconds.

It has to be one of the best deals out there for a home office.

My 2 cents
Sean
Old 15-03-03, 20:20

Default Cartridges

Geoff;

Just an addition. The ink cartridges cost about 30.00 each. So far though I have printed out 60 colour photos at 4X6 and copied just under 100 pages and the ink is still going strong.

Sean