MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-09-06, 23:54

I found this F15 a year ago and decided it wasn't for me, but a friend was interested so we dragged it out of the woods with my small 1938 D2 Caterpillar. Lots of fun and another CMP saved.

Cat pulling

Shot from the rear. The chain length is how far the truck was in the woods. The plate on the truck is from 1963.

The bonnet lid and grille were on the ground near the truck as was the left side door. The other seat and bumper were nowhere to be found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 f15 in the bush.jpg (51.2 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg pi f15 cat small.jpg (43.8 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg pi f15 cat rear small.jpg (40.3 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg p i f15 front small.jpg (41.5 KB, 224 views)
Old 01-10-06, 12:09
former Resident Historian

Default Nice!

Well done! It is so nice to see an early CMP saved! Is there an original engine it it with its number?
Old 01-10-06, 14:29
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: 11 Cab F15 rescued

Quote:
Originally posted by John McNarry
I found this F15 a year ago and decided it wasn't for me, but a friend was interested so we dragged it out of the woods with my small 1938 D2 Caterpillar. Lots of fun and another CMP saved.
Hi John..
What a thing of Beauty...
It's a marvelous thing you have done and what a great looking Cat..Post some more pix of the Cat...and the truck..
Your friend can contact me off line for manuals if he needs them..I am thinking it is a F 15A (4X4) as rather than a F15..4x2..but can't see enough of the front axle,,,the grill is in the way in the pix ..but from what I can see it looks F 15 A...
Well done...
Old 01-10-06, 16:31

Default Small Cats and CMPs

Thank you Alex and David.
The Cat is '38 D23J #279. It is one of the first batch of D2s built.
It was given to me as part payment for a bad debt. It was in a very sad state but my weakness for lost causes won out and I brought it home.
The CMP from the bush is an F15a as it is FWD. It is also very interesting as it has the Ford engine and frame but the axles are GM. It seems to me that we discussed this years back when I first found it.
The gentleman I gave it to, Phil Innes, is a good mechanic and I'm sure he'll do a great job of restoring the unit. I told him about this site an I expect he'll sign up and be asking questions.
I'll mention your generous offer to him Alex.
By the way Alex I originally lived in Cumberland east of Ottawa.
Do you know John Williams out there?
He has a restored WC51 and a Jeep that I don't know the model of.
Here's a picture of the Cat on Day1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg day 1 sml.jpg (39.6 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by John McNarry; 01-10-06 at 16:49.
Old 01-10-06, 16:55

Default The Cat

Here's one of the D2 pulling a weight sled at a tractor pull.
It is very interesting to me that it can pull nearly its own dead weight.
The RCAF used small crawler tractors such as these to pull snow compactors onthe BCATP airfields in WWII.
The fellow driving it is my son Alan who is also the proud owner of a '43 F15a.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3j pullin.jpg (38.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 01-10-06, 17:04
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Moved West..

Hi John..
What a great job you did on the D2..
I'm sure you have lots of fun with it..
The F 15A with the GM axles was probably early and a plate or seriel number would be great..
The parts on most of the vehicles were designed to be interchangeable so even a Ford front or rear with a GM front or rear axle was possible,though uncommon..
I don't know the John Williams you refer too but he may know me and my memory of him has slipped..I have been doing this manuals gig for over 10 years and have had many contacts..Some stand out more than others but would be glad to hear from him as there are other like minded souls lost in the Rusty Old Truck(R.O.T.ters) hobby in the area that would be pleased to have him join us for a brew and some lies and shop talk over the next while..
We are due for a casual meeting of the ROtters at one of our favourite sin palaces..Grace O'Malley's Bar and Grill on Ogilvey ,just west of Aviation Pkway east Ottawa..
So if John cares to join us we would be glad to see him..We usually meet around 5 PM during the week for a couple of hours..Have a few aleski's some bar grub and laugh and lie a lot so it is a good time and all ROTTERS are invited..Even ROTTERS with no vehicles but a love and an interest in the craft..Old military vehicles..
Let us know if you are ever back this way and stay in touch..
We are always looking for a reason to meet at Gracies and a new face in town is reason enough..
Old 06-10-06, 05:15

Default id for f/c15a

Hi all, I am the proud new owner of a f15a truck. Thanks to John McNarry for finding it. I have a couple questions. I think John mentioned the use of the chevy axles on the Ford. Was this common? I don't have any id plates to identify anything. Where would the id plates or decals be located when new. Are there numbers on the motor or frame that would give a date of manufacture.
Lots more questions to come.

Phil
Old 06-10-06, 05:40
carrier mech

If the truck is a cab 11 (thats usually where one finds the Chevy axles under the Ford frames) then there will be a serial number on the frame just beneath the passenger area. It should be in the form of *F-12345* . (The stars were a Ford idea to stop guys from adding more numbers to the serial.) You can compare the serial number with some of the production data listed in Greggs books (available at the Shilo museum) or post it on this website and someone will give you a guesstimate.

Engine/xmsn numbers are not all that reliable as the engines were often changed, either in mil service or in their civilian afetrlife.

The various data plates would be located either above the instrument panel, or on the drivers door panel, along with some located on the doghouse cover. They are often missing, as souvineer hunters like to claim them.
Old 06-10-06, 05:42

Hi Phil glad to see you made it here. Try the search feature or just reading back in the threads.
Hope you are having fun. Have you got the cab off? Pictures?
Old 06-10-06, 05:45

Hi Rob.
Think I met you many years ago. Did you have a Ferret at
a CATPM event?
Might be fun to have a meeting of the Western Mb guys some time.
Old 06-10-06, 06:09

Hi Rob and John. Rob, I'll look at the frame tomorrow. Just removed the cab today. Here she is before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0159.jpg (126.3 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by Phil Innes; 06-10-06 at 06:16.
Old 06-10-06, 06:25

and after.

Last edited by Phil Innes; 15-10-06 at 05:34.
Old 06-10-06, 06:28

Looks like fun! I'll have to come see in a bit.
Old 06-10-06, 06:41

A guy was in today and noticed the truck. He said he remembers his father having a field artillery tractor and cutting the back end off to use as a truck (in the 1950s). They sold the truck long ago, but he thinks the back end is still around. Have no idea what is there. I need a pintle hitch. The chances of that laying around is remote. I'll have to go take a look.
Old 09-10-06, 17:49

hey phil, that looks like innes's garage, my grandpa ewart barnes used to haul freight in the 1940-1950s in southern manitoba. he also had the books on the cmp and gave them to dick enns in the 1980s (friend of john mcnarry's) maybe see if he has them and get a copy. dick had a cmp in the bush on his farm. ask john what happened to it.

check out my website on the SPARE NO EXPENSE TOUR last summer. you might know the lady whose car burnt.

http://kingofobsolete.ca/spare_no_ex...ur_WEBPAGE.htm

also head to shilo and see my mom and clive for a tour of the gregg collection. lots of good info there. you want the behind the sence tour. clive gives a good tour with TEA included, LOL

thansk
Old 11-10-06, 01:41

Hi KoO. That is the garage. Same vintage as the truck. I'll talk to John about the manuals and cmp. Interested in finding another frame, one with the hitch still attached.
We're talking about heading out to the museum before it gets too cold.
Enjoying the website. Don't know whose car it was. An airfreshener and a wax job will fix it right up.

Phil
Old 11-10-06, 14:44

yes it was a good fire, never seen one like that go so fast. when you do the tour of shilo make sure clivetakes you to the compound that is hiden away, lots of neat stuff there. then get a tour of the steel sheds and then to the work shop which used to be the german garage. clive will want a cup of TEA along the way too, LOL.
go on a nice days because most of the stuff is outside or in unheat buildings. i did a tour in early early spring and froze my butt off because i was in southern fancy clothes, LOL.
you can get manuals from the guys on the BB here. kith web has an excellent website too.

thansk
Old 13-10-06, 01:57

Looking forward to seeing the museum. Will have to talk to John about it, he wants to go also. Hopefully it warms up. Maybe I should take some tea along. Will have to find out what kind Clive likes, and get on his good side. I met one of the guys from the museum at a parade in Brandon. Don't remember his name. Had a white beard. Very nice gentleman.
Spending alot of time on Keith webb's site. Learning alot.

Stay warm.
Old 13-10-06, 05:36

phil, you are going to have to updated us everyday what you are doing or the wife will not allow it because you have to cuddle on the couch, LOL

i talked to john on the old fashion telephone and he says you engine is not seized, WOW EH!!! talk about luck. how about the trans, did water get down the shifter and do a little rusting?????

as for the TEA for clive, not sure what he drinks but it might be a special blend from england (his homeland). you better make the tour soon because everything will be white with snow and the guys on the BB here want to see pictures. keith webb would really enjoy MORE cmp pictures less the snow. too bad i could not save the ones in churchill manitoba but dumb government is a fight all the way which cost more then what the fight is worth. oh well.

more pictures please.

thansk
Old 14-10-06, 05:46

KoO. Happy Friday the 13th. Yes the engine turns over. Starting to tear it down. There was one surprise. Didn't have the camera, will take a picture tomorrow. Haven't looked in the trans yet. It shifts and turns okay.
The only number I found stamped on the engine so far is M80 . Likely a replacement engine. The pistons and cylinders are standard size. Next to each cylinder is a number. On the side I have cleaned the numbers are 4 6 6 7 . Broke a head bolt and a valve guide. Shouldn't be working on Friday the Thirteenth.
Will take a bunch of photos when we go to the museum. Here is one of my engine. Needed alot of hand cleaner after removing the valves. Better oily than seized.
What was with the CMPs in Churchill. Were there quite a few.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0238.jpg (134.1 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Phil Innes; 14-10-06 at 05:52.
Old 14-10-06, 15:44

cmps in churchill were in nice shape but they went for scrap, oh well i did what i could. of course i took pictures with the NEW didgital camera but i screwed that up. i was not going to travel back 2000 kms to get another set of pictures. i asked the locals and no pictures were ever sent. oh well, memories is all i have.

as for the engine, talk to my dad (SIR HENRY) he has been pack ratting for 50 years on the flathead engines. he has tools and such.

talk about lucky on the engine and trans.

i think clive watches this BB, have not heard anything from my mom saying which TEA clive likes, LOL

thansk
Old 15-10-06, 05:45

Default piston

Only bad thing was this. someone must have dropped a dime down the hole. Cylinder seems okay. just a couple small scatches. very lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0201.jpg (121.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 15-10-06, 19:28

oh that is no big wow, you got off lucky. call SIR HENRY, he has lots of those pistons.

thansk