MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 22-01-19, 10:05

Default Chevrolet truck information

Hi Guys,

I’ve been lurking around here for abit and know there are some really clued up guys on these war era Chevy trucks.

I picked this truck up in Southland New Zealand. Luckily enough it’s been stored for many years waiting it’s turn to be restored until unfortunately the previous owner passed away.

I do believe this is an ex military truck maybe 41? hopefully someone here will be able to help me confirm this. Also notice the headlight mounted on top of the guard, but not the same shape as the 41-46 Chevrolet truck.

Other things of note, 2 speed rear axle and 20” commercial wheels
Attached Thumbnails
E6CC1996-2D0D-40BB-8C11-9F33D502A29B.jpg   E58BB367-E503-4064-BF99-8799A73442BA.jpg   2309D119-C248-40BB-861A-C07BE4D1B4DD.jpeg   07DF33BD-CDA9-4AED-972F-FF16B4321B76.jpg   3D86E6A9-67A5-43B8-84CC-DAB9DE42A7A3.jpg  

Old 22-01-19, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Johnstone View Post
Hi Guys,

I’ve been lurking around here for abit and know there are some really clued up guys on these war era Chevy trucks.

I picked this truck up in Southland New Zealand. Luckily enough it’s been stored for many years waiting it’s turn to be restored until unfortunately the previous owner passed away.

I do believe this is an ex military truck maybe 41? hopefully someone here will be able to help me confirm this. Also notice the headlight mounted on top of the guard, but not the same shape as the 41-46 Chevrolet truck.

Other things of note, 2 speed rear axle and 20” commercial wheels

Yes seems WW2 truck may be 1.5 or 2 ton ......Here is mine check this link

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28622
Old 22-01-19, 11:53
Lionel G. Evans

Hello Craig,

The scalloped area of the mudguard where it sits in close to the side of the radiator suggests that it is a 1941+ truck. The 1940 has a straight edge on the radiator side of the mudguard. Also the headlights on the 1940 are on horizontal offsets attached to each side of the radiator cowl.

That headlight in your photograph may have been an after-market addition.

Have fun with the restoration!

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 22-01-19, 13:46
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Cowl

I believe some Nth American trucks were imported as a chassis with cowl . The cab roof and rear being fabricated locally in N.Z. Some of the NZ patchwork cabs are unique to say the least ! Not sure if that's the case with your truck. I see a Rochester carby on it post war mod.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 23-01-19, 00:11

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replys, i have attached the front clip to the truck now. So yes correct it is a 41-46 truck with the jail bar style grill. The main confusing part about it is the head lights, though i have seen some photos on here of some of the (correct me if im wrong) MCP truck with the large off road tires having this style of head light.

As for chassis cowl build. the rest of the truck looks very original and in tacked all parts that have been purchased have been for a 41-46 pick cab.

were there any major changes through the years of the 41-46 chevy trucks?

Once again thanks for your help.
Old 23-01-19, 06:17

Hi guys, thought I would add a bit more information. I’ve owned this trick for about a year now but due to other projects I haven’t gotten to it.

But I thought I would chuck up acouple more photos, one showing brake booster in side frame rail, the 2 speed diff ( of which I believe is an Eaton unit) and the third showing the 2 speed shifter.

Also I’ve attached the builders plate. If you guys can add any info that would be great.

Digging in to the history of these old trucks is very interesting.

Cheers Craig
Attached Thumbnails
4920FE5A-21EB-456E-A26E-FD1AE6CB347B.jpg   E922BD2D-EC3E-41EB-A0D8-AD5C7F61B701.jpg  
Old 23-01-19, 10:01

Sorry guys having abit of trouble posting pictures.
Old 23-01-19, 18:16

Quote:
Sorry guys having abit of trouble posting pictures.
https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.ph...10207#p1710207

check this link ....:
Old 23-01-19, 21:35

If it is ex-military it should probably have a wooden-steering wheel, a heavy duty bracket holding the steering column to the chassis and a military style dash. Ours also had olive-drab colour under the paint.
Old 24-01-19, 00:16

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for commenting, I will have a look to see if the other features are there that you mentioned.

The dash and steering wheel are civilian but i didn't think to check the paint color under the dash, Ill have a look tonight and report back.

By the way the build thread you created on the your LRDG truck is a good read.

Cheers
Old 24-01-19, 07:15

Hi guys here is one of photos I was trying to put up last night.
Plate shows model number and that it was built in Canada. Does anyone on here have any information on the model numbers??

Thanks Craig
Attached Thumbnails
C6E5D1E9-30AA-41F8-8590-791C8FC1F624.jpeg  

Last edited by Craig Johnstone; 24-01-19 at 07:18. Reason: Double up of photos
Old 24-01-19, 08:45

I can't imagine a civilian operator installing the blackout marker light on the mudguard This and the headlight switch having what appears to be a cross bolt lock which would mean the switch was military may give a clue to the origins of the vehicle. The cab is definitely North American, the front bumper is of the heavy military style and the chassis has the riveted plate reinforcement on the side rail common on military trucks but maybe not exclusively so.
Is there a tow hitch on the truck?
Also could you post a photo of a front wheel bearing cover? If it is a pressed steel cup, that is indicative of a light axle, if it is a domed plate held on with six bolts it is a heavy axle.

David

Last edited by motto; 24-01-19 at 09:00.
Old 24-01-19, 09:36

Quote:
Hi guys here is one of photos I was trying to put up last night.
Plate shows model number and that it was built in Canada. Does anyone on here have any information on the model numbers??

Thanks Craig
Mine is also Canadian.These were supplied by GM Canada to Common wealth Countries.GM India sewree plant Bombay assembled these trucks and were used during world war.These were CKD and rest bodies were locally manufactured.I think your one is assembled by General Motors-Holden.

Kindly check the ist two letters of engine serial number you will find this besides distributor mine were TR.R means Right hand drive expert kindly comment Mentioning the pic for reference. Also i here is the link for serial number

http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/ch...dian-chev.html

Also here is the manual which i have uploaded on archive.org

https://ia801508.us.archive.org/18/i...20Military.pdf

1 Image: Production facilities at General Motors-Holden's Limited during World War II
Attached Thumbnails
BRG-213-121-9-21A.jpeg   2363b9d3-262f-4797-83f9-b369021e75e5.jpg  

Last edited by Davistine Liddle; 25-01-19 at 10:13. Reason: Add more
Old 26-01-19, 08:47

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge! I have attached a photo of the wheel hub. From hat it looks like it’s a light axle?

Davistine Liddle I will have a look at those links thank you for sharing.

Cheers Craig
Attached Thumbnails
8AAB21E3-148E-46A5-A356-223250C3CB31.jpg  
Old 26-01-19, 14:53

Quote:
Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge! I have attached a photo of the wheel hub. From hat it looks like it’s a light axle?

Davistine Liddle I will have a look at those links thank you for sharing.

Cheers Craig
Experts kindly comment by comparing.Can we differentiate the year by seeing hubs..According to my registration booklet it says 1944 Army Disposal (Then Donated by Indian Army to some Technical Institute)but the radiator is of feb 42
Attached Thumbnails
new frnt wheel hub.jpg  

Last edited by Davistine Liddle; 26-01-19 at 19:20.
Old 26-01-19, 21:34

Thanks for the image Davistine, from seeing yours would I be correct in saying that mine is the light axle??

Thanks everyone for the input.

Cheers Craig
Old 26-01-19, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davistine Liddle View Post
Mine is also Canadian.These were supplied by GM Canada to Common wealth Countries.GM India sewree plant Bombay assembled these trucks and were used during world war.These were CKD and rest bodies were locally manufactured.I think your one is assembled by General Motors-Holden.

Kindly check the ist two letters of engine serial number you will find this besides distributor mine were TR.R means Right hand drive expert kindly comment Mentioning the pic for reference. Also i here is the link for serial number

http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/ch...dian-chev.html

Also here is the manual which i have uploaded on archive.org

https://ia801508.us.archive.org/18/i...20Military.pdf

1 Image: Production facilities at General Motors-Holden's Limited during World War II
I have checked the list on the engine number and it seems to line up. Being match’s to a Right hand drive MCP truck built between 40-41.

So very kool to find out this information.

Thanks Craig
Old 27-01-19, 00:37

The hub shown in the post 14 photo is the light axle set up that uses bicycle cup and cone type wheel bearings. This axle is lighter in construction and uses smaller diameter king pins than the heavier axle used on the truck in post 15. The heavier axle has barrel type roller bearings.
I don't know why they persisted in using the lighter front axle under these trucks which were rated at 3 ton in civvy life and often used on poor roads.
Also, you would think that the installation of a two speed diff would indicate your truck was not intended for light work thus worthy of a heavy front axle.
Andrew H mentioned the steering box support bracket. Does your truck have that?
Moulded (non wood) steering wheel and civilian type instrument panel seem to have persisted well into the production of these trucks.

David

Last edited by motto; 27-01-19 at 00:50.
Old 27-01-19, 03:50

Thanks Motto.

It doesn’t appear to have the steering column support bracket.

Thanks everyone

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
68F6DD61-5692-4536-B8F3-4CD4EC3A3CBB.jpg  
Old 27-01-19, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
The hub shown in the post 14 photo is the light axle set up that uses bicycle cup and cone type wheel bearings. This axle is lighter in construction and uses smaller diameter king pins than the heavier axle used on the truck in post 15. The heavier axle has barrel type roller bearings.
I don't know why they persisted in using the lighter front axle under these trucks which were rated at 3 ton in civvy life and often used on poor roads.
Also, you would think that the installation of a two speed diff would indicate your truck was not intended for light work thus worthy of a heavy front axle.
Andrew H mentioned the steering box support bracket. Does your truck have that?
Moulded (non wood) steering wheel and civilian type instrument panel seem to have persisted well into the production of these trucks.

David
Thank you David "motto"

Mine is here but i need figure out its year coz there is no data plates no chassis number.Only i figure out that this truck lies between 42-44

Regards

Davis
Attached Thumbnails
Steering Box Bkt.jpg  
Old 03-04-19, 22:24

Default Correct on different axle hubs....

I can confirm the difference indicted between the lighter 2 ton axle and the heavier HD axle.... the heavier one as a small hub cap held in place by 3 small bolts....... the lighter axle as a stamped sheet metal cap screwed on.

Now according to the master parts catalogue the lighter bicycle ball bearing axle was used until at least until 1951....... not sure how light/weak it was but was used post war on 2 ton trucks.

The roller bearing equipped axles were commonly referred to as "Timken axles"

I know form experience that the roller bearing will not install in a lighter 2 ton axle..... the roller/Timken is .093 larger both on the axle spindle and in the bearing race that fits inside the hub......

Does anyone have a picture of the HD front axle with the tire removed......very curious about the HUB design and brake drum style.

Would be curious to hear from you if you have looked up a raised casting number on the I beam of your respective trucks....... about the middle of the axle inside the H section of the beam..... as it may give a clue as to the year of the truck.....

for example if it says 3681642 it is 1946 to 51

.....365291 is a 2 ton 1940

the heavy duty roller axle should have 3651011 which denotes the series 18 Chevrolet COE

Let me know if the shoe fits????

Bob C.
Canada