MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 02-11-06, 15:13

Unhappy Help Please - Formation/arm of service/serials for Australian vehicle

I have just purchased what was officially designated a Chevrolet Van 15 cwt., being the Chevrolet Maple Leaf commercial fitted with the Holden Coupe type ute body. (See: '1942 Australian 12 cwt Chevrolet Ute - Help!' thread in the 'Softskin' section.). We have now identified this as a 45 model, meaning assembly in Australia from say August '44 onwards.

As this vehicle was assembled at the Perth plant I would like to find a representative set of formation sign/markings/serials, ideally capturing both Western Australia connections in '44 and Papua New Guinea in late '44/'45. Is this possible and can anyone help?

Regarding arm of service options I am open to any information but would prefer infantry if possible. If not how about Militia units in the WA area for the same period?

I am pretty good re Canadian and British vehicle markings but have only managed to find limited, often confusing and contradictory, information on Australian markings.

Any information/ photo's gratefully accepted.

Ian
Old 03-11-06, 13:03
Member since 1998

Default Truck markings

We here, in the West of Australia, are keen on the 9th Division tac sign, Platapus over a Boomerang. Units like the 2/7 or 2/28 were usually made up of a lot of local fellows.

Another common marking seen (old) is 1st or 2nd Armoured Corp.

Maybe you could research the truck further and find the correct markings, the AWM may be of help. Good luck.
Old 03-11-06, 14:15

Thanks for the information Wayne.

From information I have I can see the 9th. Division comprised 20, 24, and 26 Brigades sometime after early 1943?

In one piece of information it shows 2/28 Bn. being part of 24 Bde but who were they? was it a specific regiment/s?

I cannot find reference to the 2/7 Bn in any of the Brigades for post 1943?

One step forward at least.

Ian
Old 04-11-06, 00:36

Ian,

2/28 Battalion was a Second Australian Imperial Force unit raised in West Australia which served in both the Middle East and the islands. Its tac signs varied over the war years but I could provide details if you decide to go with that.

Bit of a coincidence - my C15 (now driving the interstates of California) was embellished with early 2/28th signs. See attached pic.

2/7 was in fact 2/7th Fd Regt and was another unit raised in WA. Don't know much about this unit, but it would not be hard to discover detail if you needed it.

Regards

Jack
Attached Images

Last edited by JackM; 04-11-06 at 03:49.
Old 06-11-06, 16:58

Default Still need to determine who the 2/28 Bn. were!

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply and nice photo of your C15.

From looking at your photo I assume I am correct in saying this is from an earlier period in the war as the colour background and numbering followed the British system for units while in the Middle East.

From what I understand the green background changed to red and instead of the '84' I would show the 2/28 as my arm of service for 44/45 period?

Still need to find out who the 2/28 were, as I assume they would have more of unit identity other than a number.

Regarding the 2/7 Field Regiment I do not believe they were part of 9 Div. during 44/45, although I am sure someone will correct me!

Thanks again

Ian
Old 07-11-06, 08:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Still need to determine who the 2/28 Bn. were!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian McCallum
Still need to find out who the 2/28 were, as I assume they would have more of unit identity other than a number.
Ian
2/28 were the 28th Battalion of the 2nd Australian Imperial Force.
AIF Battalions did not have territorial names, but were linked to the Militia units which carried the battalion numbers from the WW1 1st AIF and also had territorial names. 2/28Bn was part of 24th Brigade, which was part of the 9th Division.
Attached Thumbnails
scan10003.jpg  
Old 07-11-06, 09:09
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Still need to determine who the 2/28 Bn. were!

Quote:
Regarding the 2/7 Field Regiment I do not believe they were part of 9 Div. during 44/45, although I am sure someone will correct me!
Ian
2/7 Fd Regt were actually part of the 9th Div, and being the 2nd senior Regt they would have been allocated to support 24 Bde, thus keeping all the WAers together.
Attached Thumbnails
scan10004.jpg  
Old 07-11-06, 13:14

Ian,

You are correct when you say that the green 84 was in use early in the War. It changed in mid 1944, to a red background with white 2-28 over 56. Apparently, under the old system, which was linked to divisions, any changes in the orbat meant a total change of vehicle signage.

This latter signage incorporated a very low grade "code" where 56 indicated infantry.

I think Tony may have provided the basics of the 2/28th (captured at Ruin Ridge in North Africa after being isolated and nearly surrounded by German armour - some reports saying the armour in use by the Germans were captured Valentines !)

Jack
Old 08-11-06, 15:57

Default Re: Re: Still need to determine who the 2/28 Bn. were!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Smith
[B]2/28 were the 28th Battalion of the 2nd Australian Imperial Force.

Tony, Jack,

Thank you both very much for your information, I have now got my head around the organisational structure.

Now as per Jacks info if I were to use the infantry option I would show the 2/28 Bn markings over 56 on a red background is this correct?

If I were to use the the 2/7 Field Regt RAA this would show the 2/7 over what 'code' number ?? . Background would be standard red/blue horizontal split for RAA?

Position on vehicle: for '44/'45 (if painted directly onto the vehicle)would the formation sign and tactical sign be combined (tac sign to the left of formation sign)?

I am aware of bridge classification plate colours and markings, but what other vehicle markings might be shown?

Vehicle serial: Each side of bonnet and on tailgate? Any advice on a correct sequence for a vehicle entering service in mid '44.

Maximum load/speed information: Was this displayed on the tailgate? If so what form would it take.

2/7 FR RAA : would RAA Battery tactical markings be shown in addition this late in the war?

Ian
Old 09-11-06, 13:38

Ian,

This may take a couple of days. Artillery is not my forte.

However, I've passed your question to the Royal Australian Artillery Historical Society here in West Australia. I'm sure they will produce an accurate answer.

Jack
Old 09-11-06, 13:58

Ian,

The attached scan is from a book compiled by Stephen Taubert titled Formation Signs and Vehicle Markings of the Australian Army 1903-1983.

It may answer some of your queries, but note that the vehicle used in the diagram is a Cab 11/12 Blitz, so some of the positioning may be different.

Can I suggest if you haven't already done so, that you do some research on the Australian War Memorial site

http://cas.awm.gov.au/TST2/cst.acct_...orer&bos=Win32

Hunt through the photgraphic database for Chevrolet Van 15cwt - you might come across some useful data.

Regards

Jack
Attached Images

Old 09-11-06, 17:51

Question Markings

Thanks Jack, appreciate your efforts.

I have already searched the AWM site under various searches including 'formation signs' 'Chevrolet 15cwt./van' etc, plus many Goggle searches.

I have seen and copied the data you attached, but as you say this appears to be from possibly the '39-'43 period.

A number of sites and photo's show the 'combined ' formation/tactical sign but most appear to be total black background indicating possibly HQ. I have not seen one with combined Infantry, RAA, etc.

There is actually a picture posted on my previous enquiry in the 'Softskin' section that shows a combined patch, on a Chevrolet 15cwt Van, for the Army Film Unit. This however appears to be an all black background.

As this photo is possibly in New Guinea I could use the sequence of vehicle numbers as a guide, assuming it is a late registered vehicle. Its things like load/speed signs/markings and not knowing if they were still in use by '44-'45.

Once again, many thanks for your continued effort.

Ian
Old 25-11-06, 10:34

Ian,

My gunner contact told me today that he had sent an email to you with the 2/7th Fd Regt info you were after.

Did you receive it - is it what you needed ?

Jack
Old 25-11-06, 10:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Re: Re: Still need to determine who the 2/28 Bn. were!

Quote:
If I were to use the the 2/7 Field Regt RAA this would show the 2/7 over what 'code' number ?? . Background would be standard red/blue horizontal split for RAA?

Position on vehicle: for '44/'45 (if painted directly onto the vehicle)would the formation sign and tactical sign be combined (tac sign to the left of formation sign)?
Ian
The Code serial for 2/7 Fd Regt was "2-7" over 74, on a red over blue background

Stephen Taubert's book is no longer available as a book, but is available as a CD.