MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 11-12-05, 23:16
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default What's going on in Sydney?

The footage we've seen of the riots in Sydney Australia look really nasty. Who can fill us in on what's going on?
Old 11-12-05, 23:19
Film maker, CMP addict

Default From today's paper

A nasty business indeed.

From The Age newspaper.

"By Les Kennedy and Damien Murphy
December 12, 2005
Page 1 of 2
Alcohol, the Australian flag and raw racism fuelled a violent rampage by thousands of young residents in Sydney yesterday, drawing widespread revulsion as bloodshed and bigotry turned a seaside suburb into a battleground.

Political, community and religious leaders joined stunned locals to condemn an afternoon of violence by a crowd in Cronulla that turned on people of Middle Eastern appearance and those trying to protect them, with police and ambulance officers also coming under attack.

At least 10 people were injured and scores had been arrested by last night, as the shocking images of racist chants and mob attacks sparked further clashes.

A senior policeman said hundreds of young people of Middle Eastern extraction were wreaking havoc in at least five Sydney suburbs last night.

In an apparently-related attack, a 23-year-old man was stabbed in the back outside a golf club by what police described as a group of males of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance.

About the same time, up to 50 carloads of youths smashed up over 100 cars with baseball bats and other weapons in the eastern beach suburb of Maroubra.

Thirty people had been arrested amid last night's violence in Brighton where hundreds of people were milling around following two police officers being hit by a four-wheel-drive and slightly injured.

Police reported firearms being "flashed" threateningly but not discharged. "So far we have had no one shot," the senior policeman said.

Operation Support Group police equipped with full riot gear including shields and helmets were recalled to duty last night in several beachside suburbs.

NSW Premier Morris Iemma led a chorus of condemnation.

"These hooligans have brought shame upon themselves," he said. "Some today tried to hide behind the Australian flag. The Australia that I know, and intend to preserve as Premier, does not support the sort of behaviour that we saw."

Police Commissioner Ken Moroney said the rioters, many of them carrying the national flag and singing the anthem, were "clearly un-Australian".

"I'm ashamed as a man and as the Commissioner of Police," he said. "Never have I seen a mob turn like they have today, particularly on . . . women and . . . the NSW Ambulance Service."

Assistant Commissioner Mark Goodwin, who co-ordinated the riot response, said he would establish a taskforce to review video footage of the riot.

The violence followed a week of simmering tension following an attack the previous Sunday on two lifesavers.
Appeals by text message for "Aussies" to descend on the beach to reclaim it drew a crowd estimated at 5000 people, but a carnival atmosphere in the morning gave way to an ugly mood as the day wore on.

The trouble began with scuffles about midday. As the crowd moved along the beach and foreshore area, a man on the back of a utility began to shout "No more Lebs", a chant picked up by the group around him.

Members of the mob set upon their prey with fists, feet, flags and beer bottles.

Two paramedics were injured as they tried to get victims out of the North Cronulla Surf Lifesaving Club, where they had fled to escape the rioters.

The crowd broke the windows of the ambulance and kicked its doors as the officers attempted to get the group out. Police, who used capsicum spray and batons in their battle to quell the rioters, were also pelted with beer bottles, and in some cases their cars were swamped and stomped on as they tried to move from one violent flare-up to the next. They sometimes appeared powerless to keep up with the moving mob.

The mob wore varied uniforms. A few sported black swastika sweatshirts, but most the emblem of the Australian flag, the Eureka Stockade flag, or with hand-written graffiti on their bodies such as "save nulla, f--- Allah".

"F--- off, get the f--- back to Lebanon," one man shouted at an 18-year-old man who had ventured to the beach for a dip.

He was the first to be targeted just before 11am, chased by 200 people to the Northies Hotel sports bar, where 20 bouncers joined police in holding back a crowd that swelled to several thousand. Many of them were drinking, some of them clearly underage."

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-12-05, 23:03
Dog Robber

A sad situation indeed.
And, one I fear we will see repeated, as in France a week ago, with the impetus coming from both sides

Here in the States, we are waiting with no little trepidation to see if there will be riots in Los Angeles, Ca. when, as it seems is going to happen, Tookie Williams is executed early tomorrow our time.

Tookie is the founder of the infamous Crips Gang which has wreaked havoc all over the US for almost 25 years. He was also convicted of 4 murders in 1979, the reason he is scheduled to be executed.

As sometimes happens, he made at least a surface effort, maybe even a serious one, to rehabilitate himself and for many years spoke and wrote about the dangers of gangs and that sort of thing.

He exhausted all of the legal avenues available to him to have the sentence commuted to life in prison with out possibility of parole and it was left up to California's "Terminator" Governor to make the final decision which he did today by declining to intervene.

Given Los Angeles' history of race motivated riots (Tookie is black),
it could be a bad day out there tomorrow.

Sad indeed.
Bill
Old 12-12-05, 23:12

unfortunately it has now spread to other parts of Sydney with locals getting bashed with base ball bats just for venturing out to see what damage was done to their cars parked outside their houses.

My solution is to hang a couple of the rioters from lampposts regardless of their 'ethnic origins'. This would put a dampener on the rest of them.

The main shame though was the Australian Flag being torn down from a returned serviceman building and set alight. This I feel is unforgiveable along with the throwing of bottles etc at Ambulance Officers trying to help the injured

Cliff
Old 13-12-05, 05:19
M38A1 CDN3

Looks like I'm a bit late with "reporting" on that which has already been noticed and commented upon, WRT to Sydney.

Riots in Sydney, Paris, and SoCal to happen...what's the common thread?

Any intelligent thinking person can make the obvious link 'twixt race and social disharmony.

In other words, and I make absolutely no apologies, displaced ethnic groups are causing great social upheaval. Black/Muslim/Others are, or already have, created a situational crisis due to their diaspora, aided and abetted by, in Canada's case, by a Liberal government who pander to the ethnic vote.

Call me a racist red-neck...go ahead....I prefer to be called a realist who sees the overwhelming preponderance of our Western values and ethos being totally swamped by Third World migrants who are economic refugees.

BTW, were you aware that a refugee claimant can receive a total of $2470.00 in Canadian tax payers money per month? That's a damn sight more than I get as a senior on fixed income.

Rant ends for now...more to follow....

Moderator...delete/amend/whatever as you see fit, if you feel that the above was not PC enough.
Old 13-12-05, 12:42
GarryOwen

Jon,I agree with you completely.the bare facts are that many of these "ethnic groups" or whatever you want to call them move into a country and set up ghettos in which they live as they would in their home countries,so why leave their own countries in the first place? why the benefit system of course! here in the UK things will come to a head yet.

Garry.
Old 14-12-05, 00:39
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by GarryOwen
Jon,I agree with you completely.the bare facts are that many of these "ethnic groups" or whatever you want to call them move into a country and set up ghettos in which they live as they would in their home countries,so why leave their own countries in the first place? why the benefit system of course! here in the UK things will come to a head yet.

Garry.
Garry...Thanks for your comment.

As soon as I saw your full name, the tune of the Regimental March for the 7th (US) Cavalry came to mind.

We have a village not far from here called "Garryowen".

Regards
Old 14-12-05, 02:20
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff

My solution is to hang a couple of the rioters from lampposts regardless of their 'ethnic origins'. This would put a dampener on the rest of them.

Cliff
My solution if I were set upon by a gang of baseball bat wielding hooligans would be to draw my .45 Auto, assume the Weaver stance and commend to God/ Allah/Jehovah/Buddha any of those who continued to advance upon me. This I would do with the blessing of both my State and Federal governments. This I would do because I live in a country where a man's right to defend his life when threatened has not been abrogated by warm and fuzzy thinking lunkheads!