MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 15-06-04, 11:05
MLU Administrator

Default Kangaroo AWD site near Bayeux

Moderator's note: this thread was split from the thread "Photos needed" where a request for photos of Priest Kangaroos led to research by Mark Tonner into the location where the first Priest Kangaroos were converted.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Hope this clears up your questions concerning "69" and "HD 69".
Yes it does! I wonder if you could help with another Kangaroo-related query?
Quote:
Quote from The Canadian Priest Kangaroo:
In the evening of 31 July the DDME 1st Canadian Army, Brig. G.M. Grant, was instructed to set up an organization to convert 72 Priest SP Guns, to APCs by 9 August. The date, however, was soon changed to 6 August with 'as many as possible'. (...) An AWD (Army Workshops Detachment), code named 'Kangaroo', was set up in two fields near Bayeux with the camp sited in the protection of a neighbouring orchard, about twenty miles from the start line (...) The 72 Priest Kangaroos were baptised in battle on the night of 7 August 1944 and were used in action throughout the rest of the month.
With your knowledge of troop movements and such, could you make an educated guess about where the Kangaroo AWD site could have been located?
Geoff and I are trying to locate the site. We now have the name of a local collector, plus the museum at Bayeux has a 105-mm howitzer barrel and cradle on display which were clearly dug up from the ground. I will be sending them some letters asking for information but it would help to narrow down the search area.

Thanks,
Hanno

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 30-08-11 at 08:28. Reason: link updated
Old 15-06-04, 14:09
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Kangaroo photo

Quote:
John; the Tac sign/Route marker HD 49 (example below) is that of the 274th Field Company, Royal Engineers, 51st (Highland) Infantry Division. The 'empty' Priest Kangaroos appear to be travelling 'down' the 'SINATRA' route
John; on a bit of reflection, I think I should mention that the reason why the 274th Fd Coy, RE Tac sign appears on the route marker (SINATRA), is that they were the Coy that cleared the route, prior to the opening of operations, ie: up to the FUP or start line.

Cheers
Old 15-06-04, 14:11
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Kangaroo AWD site near Bayeux

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
With your knowledge of troop movements and such, could you make an educated guess about where the Kangaroo AWD site could have been located?
Hanno, give me a day or so, and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Cheers
Old 15-06-04, 15:59
RIP

Default War Diary

This war diary may shed some light on it.

Reference: RG24 , National Defence , Series C-3 , Volume 16212
Serial : 949 , Access code: 90
File Title: No. 2 Tank Troops Workshop, Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
Outside Dates: 1944/03-1945/08 Finding Aid number: 24-60

I will try to look it up later this week.

Clive
Old 15-06-04, 16:18
MLU Administrator

Default Re: War Diary

Quote:
Hanno, give me a day or so, and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Originally posted by servicepub
This war diary may shed some light on it. I will try to look it up later this week.
Thanks guys - keeping my fingers crossed!

H.
Old 15-06-04, 18:44
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy Re: 'chalked' '69'

Hanno;

Regarding the two pictures of the Priest Kangaroos, one with "69" and the other with "HD 69", chalked/painted on the armour plate, I was wrong. The one with the "69" is actually from the same roll or sequence of the one with "HD 69". Both pictures show Priest Kangaroos carrying troops of the 7th Argyll's, 154th (H) Inf Bde, 51st (H) Inf Div. prior to the start of Operation TOTALIZE. I was doing some research this morning and realized that the 6th Cdn Inf Bde more or less was the second wave of the 2nd Cdn Inf Div's attack, and were on foot, not mounted. Upon looking closer at the photo of the Kangaroo showing just "69", I found that, just barely visible to the left of the '6' is the initials HD, so it is in fact marked HD 69 and not 69. I've circled the area in question. If anyone has a really clear copy of this photo, they should be able to make out the faded HD before the 69. Oh well, we all make mistakes

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 15-06-04 at 20:00.
Old 15-06-04, 20:02
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Priest Kangaroos and OP "TOTALIZE"

Found this regarding the use of Priest Kangaroos for Operation TOTALIZE, 2nd Cdn Inf Div and 51st (H) Inf Div, were both allotted 36x Priest Kangaroos each. (the 72x converted Priest M7 105mm SP's divided in half) - 36 to 4th Cdn Inf Bde and 36 to 154th (Highland) Inf Bde. Also the AWD that carried out the conversion of the Priest M7 105mm SP's to Priest Kangaroos, was set up next to an Ordnance Depot, which I think may have been an AOD (Advanced Ordnance Depot). More to follow.

Cheers
Old 16-06-04, 01:46
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: AWD 'Kangaroo'

Hanno/Geoff;

This is what I've found:

AWD "Kangaroo" - Location:

After reading your quote from 'The Canadian Priest Kangaroo': "An AWD (Army Workshops Detachment), code named 'Kangaroo', was set up in two fields near Bayeux with the camp sited in the protection of a neighbouring orchard, about twenty miles from the start line", it got me thinking and I went back and re-read anything and everything I've ever seen written on the Priest Kangaroo. Anyways, to make a long story short, after information from the following sources: Canada's Craftsmen, The Story of the Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and of the Land Ordnance Engineering Branch; To The Thunderer His Arms, The Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps; Volume III, of the Official History of The Canadian Army in the Second World War, The Victory Campaign; 1944, The Canadians in Normandy; and after consulting various maps and measuring distances and direction, I've come to the conclusion that the AWD (Advanced Workshop Detachment) 'Kangaroo', was established beside No. 14 Advanced Ordnance Depot, which was located just southeast of Bayeux, about 2 km south of the Bayeux-Caen road, outside of Audrieu (Audrieux), which is roughly 20 miles from the start line for Operation TOTALIZE and Louvigny, where the 36x Priest Kangaroos that were allotted to the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division were harboured after conversion, prior to the launch of TOTALIZE. The reason why I say it was outside of Audrieu (Audrieux), along side No. 14 AOD, is that, in one account, it mentions that AWD 'Kangaroo' was established beside an Ordnance Depot, and No. 14 AOD is the only one that was established in the right place and in the right direction, to have been the Ordnance Depot that was referred to. I've attached a map of the location of Audrieu (Audrieux)(sorry, I don't have a bigger or better map), and also another photo I found of troops of the 4th Cdn Inf Bde mounted on Kangaroos prior to the start of Operation TOTALIZE, the reference for which is: NAC PA 129173. If need be, I can fill in the details regarding the location of AWD 'Kangaroo'.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 16-06-04 at 02:26.
Old 04-07-04, 15:56
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Kangaroo AWD site near Bayeux

Quote:
Yes it does! I wonder if you could help with another Kangaroo-related query?
Geoff and I are trying to locate the site. We now have the name of a local collector, plus the museum at Bayeux has a 105-mm howitzer barrel and cradle on display which were clearly dug up from the ground. I will be sending them some letters asking for information but it would help to narrow down the search area.
Hanno/Geoff;

Some additional information I've come across in relation to the location of the 'AWD KANGAROO'. From what I've been able to determine, the intial M7 Priest 105mm How. SPGs that were converted to M7 Priest Kangaroo APCs, for Operation TOTALIZE, where those of the 12th, 13th and 14th Field Regiments, R.C.A., who on 1 Aug 44 (and shortly after in the case of 34th Fd Bty, R.C.A.), turned in their M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipment to a Royal Artillery reorganization centre located at RYES, northeast of BAYEUX. These returned equipments were requested by Lt.-Gen. Simonds, via way of the First Canadian Army Commander, for permission of the Americans, to be converted to armoured personnel carriers for the up coming Operation TOTALIZE.

Because of the limited time factor, from the start of conversion to the launch of Operation TOTALIZE, ie: no time left over for driver training on the M7 Priest equipment, most of the original drivers from their service with 12th, 13th and 14th Field Regiments, R.C.A., were employed has such for Operation TOTALIZE.

Not much, but it's a bit more information added.

Cheers
Old 05-07-04, 13:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Kangaroo AWD site near Bayeux

Quote:
Because of the limited time factor, from the start of conversion to the launch of Operation TOTALIZE, ie: no time left over for driver training on the M7 Priest equipment, most of the original drivers from their service with 12th, 13th and 14th Field Regiments, R.C.A., were employed has such for Operation TOTALIZE.
I know numerous of their drivers were arty types (one of those, D/13602 Gnr Hutchins GA, was DoW in late August), but I also know of at least three who were 'pressganged' into the job from other assignments. The way I'm told, there was an immediate call for Driver/Mechs trained on tracked vehicles, and as happens in the army, the COs generally sent their troublemakers and attitude-cases. Duty on Kangaroos suited these gentlemen well...

The three I know of for sure are all gone now, one KIA in Feb 1945, one having died three years ago, and the last, my friend Arnold Faragher, more than a year ago. They had all been together since enlistment, and something tells me the other two were waiting for Arnold when he crossed over...

There will have been others as well, presumably 'volunteers' from the Elgins and elsewhere. I just wish we had a complete roll of the originals.

Thanks, Marko, you've done a wonderful job. We'll have to get someone on-the-ground over there to look it up, talk to the locals and see what remains.

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 05-07-04, 16:41
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - Post # 1

I had mentioned in an earlier post regarding the possible location of the 'AWD Kangaroo':

"I've come to the conclusion that the AWD (Advanced Workshop Detachment) 'Kangaroo', was established beside No. 14 Advanced Ordnance Depot, which was located just southeast of Bayeux, about 2 km south of the Bayeux-Caen road, outside of Audrieu (Audrieux), which is roughly 20 miles from the start line for Operation TOTALIZE and Louvigny, where the 36x Priest Kangaroos that were allotted to the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division were harboured after conversion, prior to the launch of TOTALIZE."

After further research and a couple of 'brain farts', I've come to the conclusion, that it was indeed, located outside of Audrieu (Audrieux). My reasons for this conclusion, I'll set out and explain over the next couple of posts (depending on length). First off, attached is a better map of the location of Audrieu (Audrieux), in relation to the main Bayeux-Caen road and also showing the area within the box: Audrieu-Loucelles-Brouay-Cristot-Audrieu, which was the area where 14 AOD was established as/at 1 Aug 44.

Source regarding the location of 14 AOD, was TO THE THUNDER HIS ARMS, THE ROYAL CANADIAN ORDNANCE CORPS (page 157), where it says: "It had been the intention to open the main advanced depot, No. 14 AOD, at Caen and to supply it via the Orne Canal by means of small ships and coasters. When the tenacious German defence of Caen made this impossible, it was necessary to choose another location for the depot. The site ultimately selected, in the first week of July, was in the open countryside near Audrieux (spelling used in 1944)."

Source regarding conclusion that 'AWD Kangaroo' was located outside of Audrieu (Audrieux) (and No. 14 AOD), was 1944, THE CANADIANS IN NORMANDY (page 151), where it says: "When orders came to start the conversion, Major Wiggan, who commanded an Army Troops Workshop, was given direct control of the operation, possibly because his men were reputed to be among the best scroungers with technical training. An Advanced Workshop Detachment was established in a field next to an Ordnance Depot near Bayeux." - which could only have been No. 14 AOD, which from the Audrieu/No. 14 AOD location is roughly 20 miles to the start line for Operation TOTALIZE, and a source that backs up this theory is CANADA'S CRAFTSMEN, THE STORY OF THE CORPS OF ROYAL CANADIAN ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERS AND OF THE LAND ORDNANCE ENGINEERING BRANCH (page 64), where it says: "AWD Kangaroo was set up in two fields near Bayeux with the camp site in the protection of a neighbouring orchard, about twenty miles from the start line."

Another indicator that it was located outside of Audrieu, is the proximity of this location to the REME/RCEME area of the Rear Maintenance Area of 21st Army Group (a layout of which I'll post later) and the fact that CANADA'S CRAFTSMEN, THE STORY OF THE CORPS OF ROYAL CANADIAN ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERS AND OF THE LAND ORDNANCE ENGINEERING BRANCH (page 64), states that "Fourteen Canadian and British units contributed and pooled their efforts and skills in the project." - these units referred to, would no doubt, be from the REME/RCEME Workshops, etc., that were established within the REME/RCEME area of the RMA of 21st AG.

I'll cut this now and continue in Post # 2.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 05-07-04 at 16:48.
Old 05-07-04, 17:34
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - Post # 2

The attached, is the Rear Maintenance Area of 21st Army Group, as/at 1 August 1944. The area marked 'ORDNANCE' that appears south of the Bayeux-Caen road, is the area that was occupied by No. 14 Advanced Ordnance Depot. You can also see, to the west of this location, the area that was occupied by REME/RCEME, which on the layout is marked 'REME'.

If you compare this layout to the map in Post # 1, you'll see that Audrieu, is on the western edge of the Ordnance area.

Also, notice the 'SALVAGE' area just south of the Bayeux-Caen road, north-west of the Ordnance area, in CANADA'S CRAFTSMEN, THE STORY OF THE CORPS OF ROYAL CANADIAN ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERS AND OF THE LAND ORDNANCE ENGINEERING BRANCH (page 64), it states: "The armour plate came from the Help Yourself Park of "W" crocks (those tanks declared beyond repairs)." - which was probably located within this 'Salvage Area', which again, is in proximity to Audrieu.

You'll notice, that there is another 'Ordnance Area' marked on the layout, just north of Bayeux and actually close to Ryes (north-east of Bayeux), where the 12th, 13th and 14th Fd Regts, RCA, turned in their M7 Priest 105mm How. equipments on 1 Aug 44 (and shortly after in the case of one bty). This was the area occupied by No. 17 AOD and I've ruled out this area and that surrounding it has the site of 'AWD Kangaroo', for the simple reason, that from those areas, to the start line, was well over 20 miles in distance (I believe it was around 30).

Notice, the open area west of Audrieu/No. 14 AOD and south-(east) of the REME area, I believe that it was in this area that 'AWD Kangaroo' was established.

Again, I'll cut it here.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 05-07-04 at 22:13.
Old 05-07-04, 18:05
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - Post # 3

The attached, is a more detailed overlay of the Rear Maintenance Area layout of 21 AG as/at 1 Aug 44. The area where I believe 'AWD Kangaroo' to have been established, is that area that is bordered by: draw a line from the north-eastern most tip of the REME area, running east to the north-western most tip of No. 14 AOD's area, than run south-west to the road (M.T. Pipe Line) and back north-west to the REME area. It is within this box, that I believe 'AWD Kangaroo' was established.

Another way to look at it, is to take Audrieu as the centre of the clock and than running clockwise from 6 (south) to 9 (west) to 12 (north), draw an arc on the west side of Audrieu, I believe it was located within that arc.

The area in question has three key elements, ie: REME/RCEME close at hand; the Salvage dump just to the north; and the Ordnance Depot itself, all of which, were more or less necessary/required for the conversion of the M7 Priest 105mm How. equipments to that of M7 Priest Kangaroo APCs. Also, the area in question, is the right distance from where they were harboured prior to the attack and the start line.

I cannot think of anything more to add, so now I guess it's up to someone on the ground, in the area, to hopefully confirm all of this.

Cheers
Old 05-07-04, 21:55
MLU Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Kangaroo AWD site near Bayeux

Quote:
the museum at Bayeux has a 105-mm howitzer barrel and cradle on display which were clearly dug up from the ground.
Attached goes a picture of the gun in question. On second thought, it is more likely this was recovered from the sea bed. But, with your information at hand I'm sure we can now locate the site - well done Mark!!
Old 05-07-04, 22:04
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - Post # 2

Quote:
notice the 'SALVAGE' area just south of the Bayeux-Caen road, north-east of the Ordnance area
Until what time was this salvage area in operation? I photographed a photo on display at the Bayeux museum which clearly shows a salvage area, although this must have been taken after the Priest Kangaroos were used in action as this area stocks at least one "SHE.M7"!
Old 05-07-04, 22:09
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - Post # 2

Quote:
Until what time was this salvage area in operation? I photographed a photo on display at the Bayeux museum which clearly shows a salvage area, although this must have been taken after the Priest Kangaroos were used in action as this area stocks at least one "SHE.M7"!
Hanno;

I'll have to get back to you with an exact date, but I believe it was well into the Fall of 1944.

Cheers
Old 05-07-04, 22:20
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy

Hanno;

Reference: Location of 'AWD Kangaroo' - Post # 2 - it should read:

"notice the 'SALVAGE' area just south of the Bayeux-Caen road, north-west of the Ordnance area" (I've edited the post to reflect the correction)

A case of - Mind and Fingers and Keyboard not working together

Cheers
Old 05-07-04, 22:50
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Operation TOTALIZE

Just a point of interest related to this thread, the Start Line for Operation TOTALIZE was located just slightly east of St. Andre-sur-Orne and ran east through to just slightly east of Hubert-Folie, with the Caen-Potigny Road (running north-south) being the Centre Line (Divisional Boundary Line) between the 2nd Cdn Inf Div (on the west or left) and the 51st (H) Inf Div (on the east or right).

The D89 on today's maps of the area, more or less, follows the course of the start line (west to east).

Also, Louvigny, where the 36x Priest Kangaroos that were allotted to the 2nd Cdn Inf Div, were harboured, prior to the attack, is located, just slightly north-west of St. Andre-sur-Orne.

Cheers
Old 06-07-04, 01:07
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Hanno;

In answer to your question, the site itself may not have closed until after the end of hostilities. After the RMA of 21 AG moved forward into the Somme Department, the area that it had occupied between Bayeux and Caen, became No. 5 L. of C. Sub-Area, which was more or less, an 'Island" in the American Communications Zone. I've attached a lay out of the L. of C. Area, which shows the "Island" left behind in the former 21 AG RMA (Bayeux-Caen). This layout is dated 15 Feb 45.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers
Old 06-07-04, 22:53
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
I photographed a photo on display at the Bayeux museum
Hanno;

On your original photo, can you tell if these buildings (within the red circle) are "military" or civilian housing?

Cheers
Old 07-07-04, 19:38
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - New Info and Thoughts

Location of AWD Kangaroo

Hanno/Geoff;

After having some doubts and coming across some new information, I'm really starting to think that maybe, the actual location of 'AWD Kangaroo' was slightly to the north-west of the location I had first suggested, in the area west of Audrieu/No. 14 AOD. I'm now almost certain that the actual location of 'AWD Kangaroo' was in the vicinity of RYES, which is about 4 miles north-east of Bayeux.

Over the past day or so, I've gone through everything I have on the subject again and again, and some points that kept sticking in my mind were these: we know that on the 1 Aug 44, 12th, 13th and 14th Field Regiments, R.C.A. (less 34th Fd Bty, R.C.A. of 14th Fd Regt, R.C.A.), turned in their M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipments to a Royal Artillery reorganization centre located at RYES, northeast of BAYEUX and that these returned equipments were the ones requested by Lt.-Gen. Simonds, via way of the First Canadian Army Commander, for permission of the Americans, to be converted to armoured personnel carriers for the up coming Operation TOTALIZE. We also know, that has the three Field Regiments turned in these equipments, they were, in turn, issued with Quad-Limber-25pdr equipments, this would have taken up nearly all of 1 Aug (64x M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipments being returned and 64x Quad-Limber-25pdr equipments being issued). Once a M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipment was cleared and 'returned to stores', it would have been parked in a 'Vehicle Park/Gun Park', so that by the end of the day on 1 Aug, there would have been a 'Vehicle Park/Gun Park', containing these 'turned in' 64x Priests (the 12x M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipments of the 34th Fd Bty, R.C.A. of 14th Fd Regt, R.C.A., having not been returned on 1 Aug), somewhere within this R.A re-org. centre at RYES. Another point we know, is that work on converting these same 64x Priests to 'Priest Kangaroos', did not start until the afternoon of 2 Aug, some sources saying it was late in the afternoon of 2 Aug.

Taking the above mentioned points into consideration, and taking into consideration also, the other things that would have been going on in the R.M.A. at this time; ie: the preparations for Operation TOTALIZE itself - RASC/RCASC movement of stores-POL-ammunition forward, RAOC/RCOC movement of stores forward, etc; and taking into account that the BAYEUX-CAEN road (Route Nationale 13) would have been either an "UP" or a "Down" route, or what we call today, a "Main Supply Route" (MSR), started me thinking that maybe, I was in the wrong end of the ballpark, by thinking that it may have been at the 'Audrieu/No. 14 AOD' location.

It makes more sense, that the conversion was actually done in 'location', within the R.A. re-org. centre at RYES. Looking at the layout of the 21 AG R.M.A., you'll see that this R.A. re-org. centre, would have to have been somewhere to the west of RYES itself, or in the area of an arc, from directly north of RYES, to directly west of RYES. You'll notice by the layout, that there was an RAF airfield directly east of RYES, and directly south, an Ammuntition Depot and a Supply Depot, sitting, side-by-side, so that, more or less rules out the areas east and south of RYES.

It may even have been west of the BAYEUX-ARROMANCHES road, beside No. 17 AOD, as some sources suggest that it was established beside an Ordnance Depot. It my even have been in the little open 'saddle', just south of RYES, between the Supply Depot to the west (and south) and Ammunition Depot to the east, either being the 'Ordnance Depot' referred to by some sources in their accounts.

It also makes more sense, that if, as it stood at the time of conversion, that they were to be re-converted back to M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipments, that the guns and all related equipment, would be removed and stored within the confines of this 'R.A. re-org centre' for future remounting. Another fact that got me thinking along these lines, was after seeing Hanno's picture, of the 105mm gun itself, on blocks in the Bayeux
museum, that is more or less how they would have been stored after being removed. Just a point regarding this "R.A. re-org centre', it would not only have been the M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipments of our own 3rd Div Arty Fd Regts that was turned in here, but also those Fd Regts of the 50th and 3rd British Div Artys has well, when they also converted back to towed 25pdr equipments, which they eventually did.

Some new information that turned me in the direction of RYES, was the following quote by a Craftsman of No. 2 Army Tank Troops Workshop, RCEME, who was tasked to 'AWD Kangaroo', - "converged on a field full of Priests and began the 'defrocking' process to convert them into armoured troop carriers", this taking place on 2 Aug. He also mentions that the AWD was established "in an apple orchard near Bayeux". His quote "field full of Priests" and the fact that the tasked troops from No. 2 Army Tank Troops Workshop, RCEME, did not arrive and start the conversion process until the afternoon of 2 Aug, as some sources state, is another point that turned me towards the RYES location - who or how were they moved from the R.A. re-org centre to the site I had suggested earlier at Audrieu/No. 14 AOD. They would have had to have been moved on the night of 1 Aug itself or early on the morning of 2 Aug. But later facts suggest that their were no drivers available, drivers from the 3rd Div Arty Fd Regts who had been their intial drivers being brought back to preform this task for the actual attack, so that would again point to them being in a 'Vehicle Park/Gun Park', upon the arrival of the various REME/RCEME units on the 2 Aug and afterwards.

The RYES location, being 'above' the RMA, the activities of 'AWD Kangaroo', would not have interferred with any of the preparations for Operation TOTALIZE, that would have found the RMA itself, a 'beehive' of activity. The roads within and leading into and out of the RMA would have been under strict traffic control in regards to the movement of vehicles. The only incursion that would have occured on the part of the AWD into the RMA from the RYES location, would have been on the quest for 'armour plate' from the 'Salvage Depot', noted earlier and to the POL Depot to restock their supply of 'acetylene' for welding. The engine parts and associated items required, could have been drawn from No. 17 AOD. Also, the proximity of RYES to the invasion beaches, where sources say, that the Craftsman ranged far and wide in their quest for armour plate, is another point which draws me to that location. Also, from RYES, by skirting the RMA, to the north and east, they would have had easy access to the steel mills in the south of Caen.

Another factor I took into consideration, was the fact that the 36x Kangaroos tasked to the 4th Cdn Inf Bde, did not arrive into their harbour area at LOUVIGNY, until the morning of 6 Aug, leaving little time for embussing or debussing drills by the Infantry using them prior to the launch of Operation TOTALIZE. This suggests, that has each was completed, it was re-parked/marshalled, prior to all 36 being moved forward to the harbour area. Less movement of them if they were converted and marshalled all in the same area, ie: the R.A. re-org centre (RYES).

I could probably go on and on, regarding why I now think that the 'AWD Kangaroo' was established in the area of RYES, instead of the Audrieu/No. 14 AOD location. Like I said at the beginning of this post, the more I've studied the material at hand, the more it's pointing to the RYES area being the location were the AWD was established.

I've attached two images, the first showing the location of RYES and the second showing the area (circled in red) were the 'AWD Kangaroo' may have been in the RYES area.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas, would be most welcome.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 08-07-04 at 21:34.
Old 07-07-04, 20:23
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO'

I can think of only two publications that may shed some light on this subject:

- the War Diary, quoted by Clive:

Reference: RG24 , National Defence , Series C-3 , Volume 16212
Serial : 949 , Access code: 90
File Title: No. 2 Tank Troops Workshop, Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
Outside Dates: 1944/03-1945/08 Finding Aid number: 24-60

and a publication that is due to be published later this year, which is the volume of the history of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, which deals with the Field Regts in the campaign in North-West Europe, 1944-45.

Or by finding someone in the area of either Audrieu or Ryes, who can still remember August, 1944, and who and what was where.

Cheers
Old 07-07-04, 21:31
MLU Administrator

Default Re: salvage area

Quote:
On your original photo, can you tell if these buildings (within the red circle) are "military" or civilian housing?
Mark, see the blow-up below: clearly a village.
Note the Priest Kangaroo marked as "SHE.M7"!
I reckon this picture was taken quite a while after the fighting (possibly even after the war?), as during the first few months in Normandy I can't believe there would be time to properly categorise and mark each vehicle.

H.

P.S.: I will have to digest what you just wrote about Audrieu vs. Ryes. Time to call in the local experts - if there are any!
Old 08-07-04, 01:05
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: salvage area

Quote:
Mark, see the blow-up below: clearly a village.
Note the Priest Kangaroo marked as "SHE.M7"!
I reckon this picture was taken quite a while after the fighting (possibly even after the war?), as during the first few months in Normandy I can't believe there would be time to properly categorise and mark each vehicle.

H.

P.S.: I will have to digest what you just wrote about Audrieu vs. Ryes. Time to call in the local experts - if there are any!
Hanno;

Any way of finding out the name of the village, I'm curious.

To clarify what I wrote concerning the location of 'AWD Kangaroo' being possibly at Ryes vs. Audrieu and to help you 'digest' the info, some points to ponder:

- M7 Priests turned into Ryes on 1 Aug

- tasked REME/RCEME arrive afternoon/late afternoon 2 Aug to begin conversions

- most sources seem to imply that the tasked REME/RCEME went to the 'Priests' - not the 'Priests' coming to them

- Ryes location, actually outside of RMA - would not interfere with anything within the RMA - areas that sources mention that the Craftsman ranged to in their various quests for material were all located outside of the RMA, save for the 'Salvage Depot' and the need for welding gases from the 'POL Depot', both within the RMA

- Ryes location in proximity to invasion beaches (armour plate)

- Ryes location in proximity to a Ordnance Depot (No. 17 AOD), has some sources suggest that 'AWD Kangaroo' was next to an 'Ordnance Depot'

- Ryes location - location of the Royal Artillery Reorganization Centre - place to store the dismounted 105mm Howitzers and the accompaning kit and equipment that goes along with them, since, eventually, they were to be re-converted back to M7 Priest 105mm How. SPGs and returned to the Americans

- Ryes location - 'Priests' already marshalled in one area - no real movement of the vehicles after their conversion required - just re-parked, along with this goes the lack of any sources at all mentioning any movement of the completed 'Priest Kangaroos' out of the 'AWD Kangaroo' area, until the 36x 'Priest Kangaroos' that were allotted to the 4th Cdn Inf Bde, were moved to their 'Harbour' at Louvigny (late evening 5 Aug/early morning 6 Aug)

- Ryes location - sources commenting on the problem of no drivers, which was solved, in part, by the re-tasking of their former R.C.A. drivers from the 12th, 13th and 14th Fd Regts - just prior to the 36x 'Priest Kangaroos' being moved to their harbour at Louvigny - meaning that from 1 Aug to approx. 2000 hrs (when the bulk of the conversions were completed) on 5 Aug, the vehicles themselves, were more or less idle and situated in one location

- Ryes location - sequence of events, ie: - turned into location on 1 Aug - conversions begin 2 Aug - conversions completed 5 Aug - moved to harbour late 5 Aug or early 6 Aug - no mention from any sources at all of any movement of these vehicles between 1 Aug and 5 Aug - except for one to Simonds for inspection/approval

Hope this helps you 'digest' the information from my previous post regarding Ryes vs. Audrieu.

Cheers
Old 08-07-04, 03:07

Mark/Hanno

Here is a link to a history of the 14th Field Regt.

http://www.ncf.ca/~di137/14thregt.html

You should note the following:

“On July 30th our Regt. was relieved by 23rd Field Regt. 4th Div and we went out of action for the first time since June 6th for rest and refit. Harbour was at 996765 COLOMBY-SUR-THAON. The S.P.'s were turned in; recreation, baths, swims, leave trucks to BAYEUX for all of us; we enjoyed our first Canadian Army show in a cave at FONTAINE-HENRY.
On August 7th the Regt. moved to Reorganization Area at RYES near BAYEUX in a tented camp where towed 25pdrs. were reissued to us. GOC Keller was wounded on August 8th by Allied A/C at 3Div Tac Hdq.”

I hope that this helps.
Old 08-07-04, 04:13
Senior Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: link to a history of the 14th Field Regt.

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
You should note the following:

“On July 30th our Regt. was relieved by 23rd Field Regt. 4th Div and we went out of action for the first time since June 6th for rest and refit. Harbour was at 996765 COLOMBY-SUR-THAON. The S.P.'s were turned in; recreation, baths, swims, leave trucks to BAYEUX for all of us; we enjoyed our first Canadian Army show in a cave at FONTAINE-HENRY.
On August 7th the Regt. moved to Reorganization Area at RYES near BAYEUX in a tented camp where towed 25pdrs. were reissued to us. GOC Keller was wounded on August 8th by Allied A/C at 3Div Tac Hdq.”
John;

Thanks! It confirms that the 'Royal Artillery Reorganization Centre' was in fact at RYES and by the sounds of it, the Regt, did in fact turn in their SPs around 1 Aug and then had, more or less a week off, before re-issue of towed 25pdrs - on 7 Aug.

'Harbour was at 996765 COLOMBY-SUR-THAON' - refers to the 'Regimental Harbour' they would have occupied after being relieved and pulling back from the line, prior to turning in their SPs and going on a bit of R&R from, say 2 to 6 Aug, before moving into the RYES 'RA re-org centre' for reissue with towed 25pdrs on the 7 Aug, by which time, if in fact RYES was the location of the 'AWD Kangaroo', they would have been clear of.

Cheers
Old 08-07-04, 04:21

After the Regt. was pulled out of the line on 30th of July, they would have required about a half day to do an inventory and to clean up their equipment. So this would point to the guns being turned in on Aug. 1st.
Old 08-07-04, 04:26
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
After the Regt. was pulled out of the line on 30th of July, they would have required about a half day to do an inventory and to clean up their equipment. So this would point to the guns being turned in on Aug. 1st.
Psst....John, That's what I said in my last post

Cheers
Old 08-07-04, 22:28
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO'

Hanno/Geoff;

Having re-read everything again and again, and having studied various maps and the layout of the 21 AG RMA, I'm certain, that we'll eventually find that the location of 'AWD Kangaroo', was somewhere in the vicinity of RYES (and I strongly suspect, to the area (north) west of RYES), either within the confines of what was the Royal Artillery Re-Organization Centre that was established there in July/August 1944, or just to the (north) west, across the BAYEUX-ARROMANCHES road, in the open area to the east of No. 17 AOD and south of the RAF airfield (see attached diagram and map).

The more I've studied the various pieces of printed information we have from all the different sources, the more it points to the RYES location (vicinity).

I've attached a diagram of a portion of the 21 AG RMA layout showing the area in question and a modern map of the area with the different Depots/Airfields from the RMA layout drawn roughly in, again showing the area in question.

Cheers
Old 28-08-11, 16:59
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. Tonner View Post
From what I've been able to determine, the intial M7 Priest 105mm How. SPGs that were converted to M7 Priest Kangaroo APCs, for Operation TOTALIZE, where those of the 12th, 13th and 14th Field Regiments, R.C.A., who on 1 Aug 44 (and shortly after in the case of 34th Fd Bty, R.C.A.), turned in their M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipment to a Royal Artillery reorganization centre located at RYES, northeast of BAYEUX. These returned equipments were requested by Lt.-Gen. Simonds, via way of the First Canadian Army Commander, for permission of the Americans, to be converted to armoured personnel carriers for the up coming Operation TOTALIZE.
Here's one of the Priests from the 14th FA Rgt, RCA, that landed on Juno beach on June 6th.