MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 29-07-19, 10:02
Ian Williams

Default F15A Sway Bar Bushes

Hi All,
I cant find a reference to the correct sway bar bushes for my Ford F15A. The local places want to sell me Nolothane/poly bushes but I need rubber items.
If anyone has a suitable modern, alternative then please post.

I would buy from MACs or Dennis Carpenter if I have to but would prefer a supplier here in Australia.

please see picture.

Thanks in advance

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
20190728_144106.jpg  

F15A,
2x Army Land Rover 88' sIIA's
GPW
Other stuff
Old 29-07-19, 10:59

Default Rubber

There will be a modern equivalent Ian,

Just take an original in and match it up. Have you got a local auto parts shop like Noel Comerfords in Wagga?.

Would love to see some progress shots of your resto on here.
Old 29-07-19, 13:04
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth65pac View Post
Hi All,
The local places want to sell me .......

Ian
Factory shock absorber bushes for 4wds like Toyotas and Nissans are an ideal replacement, and rubber.

Try a suspension fitting place that installs aftermarket 4wd suspensions, all the stock factory parts will be in the skip bin.

I got a bag full for free just for asking. It seems the rubber contaminates the price they get for the steel scrap and they were happy to have someone sort out the rubber bits for them. If you want, you can get the steel cup washers, too, but they are a slightly different to the originals you still have. I didn't have any originals to compare.
Old 29-07-19, 22:45
Ian Williams

Default Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
There will be a modern equivalent Ian,

Just take an original in and match it up. Have you got a local auto parts shop like Noel Comerfords in Wagga?.

Would love to see some progress shots of your resto on here.
Thanks Tony,
Yes I was hoping someone had a list.
We have one place that is pathetic and all the good places are in Wollongong, so I will have to travel up there (as usual) to get parts.

No photos yet. I'm hoping to get some runs on the board in the coming months and then the progress can be measured. Its just all clean and repair at the moment.
Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 29-07-19, 22:48
Ian Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Factory shock absorber bushes for 4wds like Toyotas and Nissans are an ideal replacement, and rubber.

Try a suspension fitting place that installs aftermarket 4wd suspensions, all the stock factory parts will be in the skip bin.

I got a bag full for free just for asking. It seems the rubber contaminates the price they get for the steel scrap and they were happy to have someone sort out the rubber bits for them. If you want, you can get the steel cup washers, too, but they are a slightly different to the originals you still have. I didn't have any originals to compare.
Yes Tony,

I have a Nissan shock bush sitting here which seems to be suitable. Part Number 56119 but its a little small. (from a Patrol, my Patrol!) So the quest continues.
I'll make up a list if I can identify the bushes.

Cheers,

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 30-07-19, 00:16
VMVC

Default Ford F15-A Front shock absorber link bushes

Hi Ian,

Just looking through the F15-A Parts Manual and it lists the following:

*C01Q 18095 Retainer Front Shock Absorber Grommet (4 reqd)
*C01Q 18096 Grommet Front Shock absorbers (4 reqd)

* indicates unique to CMP Vehicle.

Having said that I seem to remember early 70's Ford Falcons I worked on having similar grommets (bushes) and retainers (washers) on the shock absorbers.

Perhaps they are two of those parts that Ford has never changed in 50 years.
Might be worth a call to those who deal in "vintage" Falcon parts or a visit to a very old wreckers yard.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 30-07-19, 07:20
VMVC

Default Ford F15-A Front shock absorber link bushes

Hi Again Ian,

Just remembered I have an old NOS front shock absorber link rod I keep for a spare.

Photo shows the retainers. The bottom one is stamped with the hex shape of the slotted nut. I looked at a couple of used rods and both top and bottom have the hex stamping in them. On that basis, the top one may be a ring in.
I remember going to Pedder's Suspension in the nineties and they gave me a few bits so perhaps that plain one is from a newer vehicle. Just may prove that something else could do the job.

For some reason I repainted them a horribly wrong Bronze Olive Green many years ago but I am sure the hex stamped one is original. Thank God I have learnt a bit about WW2 paint colours on this forum since then!

The bushes are definitely original. You can see the overspray of the KG3 on them when the entire assembly was painted in WW2.

They measure 15/32" ID, 1-1/4" OD, and 3/4" high.
Hope this is of some help in finding what you need.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0221.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 31-07-19 at 01:42. Reason: Changed "castle nut" to correct name "slotted nut".
Old 30-07-19, 10:28

Default The possibilities are endless

I recently changed the front sway bar link bushes on my old man's HR Holden sedan with a disc brake front end, and they look awfully similar to the ones in your photo Ian. I would have to check i.d, o.d and thickness but if that's all right I cant see why that wouldn't work. Best of all, my local REPCO had them on the shelf for $2 a piece.!

Just a young kid in an old guys game
Old 02-08-19, 10:29
Ian Williams

Default Helpful

Thanks Jacques,

Well that is actually helpful. I can probably match it to a Part number now.
I pulled them off today so the quest continues. Once I get a bit of time I will go into a parts book and search.

BTW the bushes you sent me a few years back work a treat!

Cheers,

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Hi Again Ian,

Just remembered I have an old NOS front shock absorber link rod I keep for a spare.

Photo shows the retainers. The bottom one is stamped with the hex shape of the slotted nut. I looked at a couple of used rods and both top and bottom have the hex stamping in them. On that basis, the top one may be a ring in.
I remember going to Pedder's Suspension in the nineties and they gave me a few bits so perhaps that plain one is from a newer vehicle. Just may prove that something else could do the job.

For some reason I repainted them a horribly wrong Bronze Olive Green many years ago but I am sure the hex stamped one is original. Thank God I have learnt a bit about WW2 paint colours on this forum since then!

The bushes are definitely original. You can see the overspray of the KG3 on them when the entire assembly was painted in WW2.

They measure 15/32" ID, 1-1/4" OD, and 3/4" high.
Hope this is of some help in finding what you need.

Cheers.

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 02-08-19, 10:32
Ian Williams

Beau,
Ill take a look at them in the coming days but I think that they are a little small.
Thanks Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bruce View Post
I recently changed the front sway bar link bushes on my old man's HR Holden sedan with a disc brake front end, and they look awfully similar to the ones in your photo Ian. I would have to check i.d, o.d and thickness but if that's all right I cant see why that wouldn't work. Best of all, my local REPCO had them on the shelf for $2 a piece.!

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 03-08-19, 04:28
VMVC

Default Possible source of "grommets" (rubber bushings)

Hi Ian,

Just looking over the web and the link below might be an Australian source of the bushings you need.

The attached photo is a spare of the bushings I used on my F15-A. Almost certainly obtained from Pedder's Suspension.

It is identical in height and OD but the ID is marginally smaller. A bit of rubber grease slipped it on. The raised shoulder actually works a treat in centering them in the lower spring plates. Better than originals.

Their list of vehicles they fit covers Fords well back into the seventies and therefore they could be the ones Pedder's gave me back when a lot of those earlier Falcons were still around.

It might be worth a call, and hope someone is willing to supply the measurements.

Glad to hear the other spring bushings I sent did the job.

Cheers,

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/...iABEgLlFvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0229.JPG   IMG_0230.JPG  

Jacques Reed