MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 19-10-15, 02:25

Default Nice trip if...... you can afford it

I was checking the local rag where I'm from. City called Welland Ontario, down around Niagara Falls way. Seems a bit of excitement was caused by the fly over of Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Lancaster Bomber. As most of you know, there are only 2 flying today.....the other being at the Royal Air Force Museum in the UK.
Turns out if you'd like to go up for a thrill of a life time, you book a scheduled flight for only $3000.00 CDN. The trip will take you from Hamilton down to Niagara Falls, then across Lake Ontario to Toronto and back to Hamilton. Seats on this flight sell out faster than any other operable plane in the museum. The monies are used to maintain the planes. A lot of the passengers they get are from the UK because they are not allowed to fly in the Lancaster there.

So if you decide to vacation in Toronto or that area....might be something you might want to consider. R
Old 19-10-15, 05:17
Ed Wand

Default Lancaster Flyover

This afternoon while pushing grandchildren on a swing at Happy Ralph's Animal Farm and playground, the Lancaster flew over at quite a low level and out over Lake Ontario. You can imagine just by the name that this was not my first choice of how to spend an afternoon, especially since our trucks are stored about a mile away. We were right beside Lock 1 of the Welland Canal (the Lake Ontario end).
The weekend before we had a flyover nearby at quite a low altitude. We store some of our vehicles in this area and are often treated to flyovers by aircraft from the Hamilton Warplane Heritage Museum. Once in a while the planes come down quite low to see our vehicles. Mostly the Lancaster and their B25.

Well worth a visit if you are in the Hamilton area. Also try to visit HMCS Haida, a WW2 Canadian destroyer which is permanently moored on Lake Ontario not far from the airplane museum.
Old 21-10-15, 08:34
M38A1 CDN3

For the last 10 years of my military career, I transferred to the Cadet Instructor Cadre after taking a commission, then became DCO of an air cadet squadron in Brampton.

One of our fellow officers in a different Brampton squadron had the nerve to worm himself into the Lance for an arranged flyover during the squadron's annual review. He claimed to be the "official photographer"...and he got away with it.

When HMCS Haida was docked at Ontario Place, our squadron staff became good friends with the officers and staff of a local sea cadet group, HMCS Illustrious.

The reciprocal deal was that the air cadets learned about seamanship, division drills, ceremony of the flags etc while spending the weekend aboard.

In return, we took the sea cadets to Borden for a weekend of gliding and flying.

Great experiences for the cadets.

BTW Ed, I'm reliably informed that my old C-15A WIRE 3 was on display during the recent Niagara show. ( Marked up as HQ 2 Div Sigs).
Old 21-10-15, 08:49
Adrian Barrell

Just a small point, the airworthy Lancaster in the UK is operated by the Royal Air Force Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight. The RAF Museum do not fly any of their aircraft.
Old 22-10-15, 08:35

Default My mistake....

Sorry all....just quoting the local rag. They ALWAYS manage to screw up the details.....even when the Hamilton Lanc. was going to the UK, they did it there. Thanks for the insight Adrian. Robert