MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 04-12-06, 00:19
Vets Dottir

Talking Get a book ...

Hi Folks,

Am so excited. I look out my window and over to the left, and can see the building where the library has moved to, and is supposedly opening Dec. 5th. I'll finally be getting a library card and will be sure to find out what sort of history and military selections they have. It doesn't get any better than this, the world internet library at my fingertips 24/7 and a library one block from home, open 6 days a week (Tuesday through Sunday)

Happy Yappy
Old 04-12-06, 00:41
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Get a book ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hi Folks,

Am so excited. I look out my window and over to the left, and can see the building where the library has moved to, and is supposedly opening Dec. 5th. I'll finally be getting a library card and will be sure to find out what sort of history and military selections they have. It doesn't get any better than this, the world internet library at my fingertips 24/7 and a library one block from home, open 6 days a week (Tuesday through Sunday)

Happy Yappy
Ma!!!
you will be in your glory...Most libraries have FREE INTERNET...!!!

WE need a coffee drinking smiley just for you..
NOw you got to figger how to get your sleeping bag and your coffee pot set up across the street..
Maybe you could be employed there as a "Book worm" or researcher,or a little people helper or some other job that is suited to your talents and abilities..
I don't have to tell you to keep us posted...
Great news..!!
Old 04-12-06, 00:53
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Get a book ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Ma!!!
you will be in your glory...Most libraries have FREE INTERNET...!!!

WE need a coffee drinking smiley just for you..
NOw you got to figger how to get your sleeping bag and your coffee pot set up across the street..
Maybe you could be employed there as a "Book worm" or researcher,or a little people helper or some other job that is suited to your talents and abilities..
I don't have to tell you to keep us posted...
Great news..!!
Yes ... I used to be a compulsive library visitor and always piles and piles of books to lug back and forth to libraries.

And YES ... a coffee drinking smilie would be great ... something to represent the TIM HORTONS coffee I so enjoying drinking
I ain't givin' up my 24/7 access at home and I have a handy little wheeled shopping cart to lug books back and forth. If it breaks down or I can't walk again, I'll catch one of those deer walking by my place, harness it to a sleigh, and have it transport me and books back and forth, and stay home drinking TH's and my brains out in comfortable compulsivity ...

By the way, what an awesome :idea: idea you just gave me regards the library ... I wonder if they would have any use for a flexible part-time limited abilities helper such as myself????????????? I'm going to ask them!

Happy Yappy
Old 04-12-06, 04:35

Default Re: Re: Re: Get a book ...

Quote:

By the way, what an awesome :idea: idea you just gave me regards the library ... I wonder if they would have any use for a flexible part-time limited abilities helper such as myself????????????? I'm going to ask them!

Happy Yappy
I am just imagining Ma Yappy swinging a book rather then a frypan here

Ma I am an big reader and often load the chair up with returns and head for the libary to exchange them. From home to the libary by myself is 10minutes with Kathie and Princess my carer dog it takes 30...Oh well no tickets yet anyway

Cheers
Cliff
Old 04-12-06, 07:24
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Get a book ...

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
I am just imagining Ma Yappy swinging a book rather then a frypan here

Ma I am an big reader and often load the chair up with returns and head for the libary to exchange them. From home to the libary by myself is 10minutes with Kathie and Princess my carer dog it takes 30...Oh well no tickets yet anyway

Cheers
Cliff
I actually prefer the fryng pan as I can also cook with it. I don't want to someone EVERY DAY but I do want to cook my dinner every day. Nice to kill (did I say that? ) tow birds with one (frying pan) ... besides, books don't have handles for a good toss

I do libraries ALONE! Don't want anyone to slow me down or rush me

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to visiting the library. So many things that I "normally do" I haven't done in YEARS! Time to get back to some of what I used to enjoy, and had done life long basically

Enjoy those books Cliff ...

Ma Yappy
Old 04-12-06, 07:42

Default get a book

hey there ma yappy, since you like military books
how about some ww2 kiwi ones.
go to www.nzetc.org, nz ww2 military history online
at victoria university nz
the complete set of history of nz in ww2.
let us know how you get on .
Old 04-12-06, 08:31
Vets Dottir

Default Re: get a book

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hughes
hey there ma yappy, since you like military books
how about some ww2 kiwi ones.
go to www.nzetc.org, nz ww2 military history online
at victoria university nz
the complete set of history of nz in ww2.
let us know how you get on .
Hi Ken,

Thank you. I tried that link but it isn't working for me. I get a message that says the server is down. Maybe I'll be able to access it tomorrow. Will try again then

Ma Yappy
Old 05-12-06, 23:31
Vets Dottir

Default Happy Happy Joy Joy

Well everyone, I went and did it. I am now the proud new owner of a local Library Card ... and dig this, you're allowed to take out up to 40 items!!!

I browsed for a little while, not very long for today, as it was very tiring, and I was totally reminded how difficult it is to get books off shelves, hold them, prop them open, carry them, put them back, kneel on the floor, get up again, etc etc etc I caught people "watching me then quickly looking away when I looked their way" (I usually try not to see them seeing me ) ... my first visit was more to get a bit familiar with the shelving setup and find where things are kept.

NEXT TIME I plan to be wearing my wrist splints. I forget to today and am paying for that :

There doesn't seem to be a specific military section and the pickings are slim, methinks, but maybe more visits to their catalogue online, and to the library, will prove me wrong.

I did scoop a couple of books,

"Great Emigrations, The Scots to Canada by Douglas Hill", and

"The Ten Lost Years 1929-1939 - Memories of Canadians Who Survived the Depression by Barry Broadfoot"

I quickly skimmed a couple of CD shelves and scooped 3 off the shelf that I haven't heard before:

BRAHMS "STRING QUARTET OP. 51"

JENNIFER WARNES "The HUNTER"

SHIRLEY HORN "I REMEMBER MILES"

I found the reference section and was delighted to see a copy of
Dictionnaire Genealogique des Familles du Quebec by Rene Jette which I'm going to be copying some information from (my French roots)

http://globalgenealogy.com/countries...ces/601001.htm

In case some of you are wondering, nope, I didn't enquire about possibilities of helping out/working there. Not today. I will sometime soon though.

That's the update on my first visit to the Library, getting setup with a card, and using it the first time

Ma Yappy
Old 05-12-06, 23:42

Default Don't forget inter library loan

If the library doesn’t have what you are looking for remember to ask about interlibrary loan. My wife is a librarian in the next town not a large town I think about 3500 pop. However, they service the day lights out of the people. One of the things that they are very willing to do is search other libraries in the state to find books they don’t have. I’ve been really surprised what books she has been able to find that way.

So enjoy, find a comfy chair at the library and become a regular.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 06-12-06, 03:15

Default George Blackburn's Books...

Ma..
If you don't get any more books ,do get the three books that George Blackburn wrote..The Gun's Triology..
George was a friend of mine and lived around the corner from me here in Ottawa,
He was a great friend of Herb Danter..
He passed away last month.
Get the library to bring them in if they don't have them..
Here is a posting of his Obit Jif posted earlier..The book names are here.
Best books on WW2 I ever read..

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George Blackburn, journalist, war hero, musician, author, dead at 90
Published: Thursday, November 16, 2006 | 12:23 PM ET
Canadian Press: JOHN WARD
OTTAWA (CP) - George Blackburn, who was a journalist, a composer, a songwriter, a public servant, a war hero and an acclaimed author, has died at the age of 90.

He was a gregarious, fun-loving, piano-playing story-teller with a twinkling eye and a gift for a telling phrase. He wrote award-winning songs, a play that was performed in a purpose-built theatre at Upper Canada Village, and produced and wrote TV and radio documentaries.

His three-volume memoir of his harrowing, Second World War career as a forward artillery observer, won praise when it was published in the 1990s. He was showered with prizes and awards, including the Order of Canada.

The books, The Guns of Normandy, The Guns of Victory and Where the Hell are the Guns?, recounted his war experiences, running from the last, idyllic pre-war summer of 1939 when he was working as a journalist in Pembroke, Ont., through the hellish time on the front lines calling down artillery fire on enemy positions.

They were written in an unusual first-person style, which gave them a chilling "you are there" realism and they offered a unique account of the role that the gunners played in the bitter, brutal campaign from Normandy through the Netherlands.

Blackburn was one of the longest-serving forward observers in the Canadian army. It was a dangerous job and most of his fellow observers were killed or wounded as they plied their hazardous trade within sight of the enemy.

The observers job was to direct fire from gun batteries positioned well behind them onto enemy targets, correcting the aim of the gunners as they fired. Because they controlled the deadly artillery they were high priority targets for the Germans, who knew if they killed the observer, they blinded the gunners.

Blackburn won the Military Cross for his work protecting a Canadian bridgehead across a Dutch canal.

His memoirs stirred a chord in readers.

"Anyone who reads this book will put it down in wonderment, whispering softly to himself, 'So that's what it was like'," wrote Cliff Chadderton of the War Amps.

Quill and Quire, in a review of The Guns of Normandy, said the book "brings us as close as we will ever come to the tension, savagery, and turmoil of the fighting in Normandy half a century ago.

"The immediacy of Blackburn's narrative, his empathy with the fighting men, and his professional insight put The Guns of Normandy in a class of its own as a military memoir."

The Calgary Herald described it as "one of the best books to come out of the Second World War."

Blackburn was born in 1916 in a farmhouse near Wales, Ont., a small village which was eventually submerged beneath the waters of the St. Lawrence Seaway. That inspired him, years later, to write a musical about the seaway, called A Day to Remember.

He was Pembroke correspondent for the Ottawa Journal newspaper when the war broke out in September 1939. He joined the army almost immediately.

After returning home, he became director of information for the federal Labour Department.

He wrote a ubiquitous jingle called Why Wait for Spring? Do It Now that was pervasive on the air waves in the 1960s as the theme of a highly successful winter works program.

In recent years, Blackburn was active in veterans' causes, taking part in memorial trips to the Netherlands.

This fall, he travelled to Shilo, Man., for the last of his annual visits to young artillery officers in training. He often spoke of the need for young people to remember the sacrifices made by the soldiers of yesterday.

He was married to Grace Fortington for 60 years and was hit hard by her death four years ago. They had three children, five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:remember :support :drunk:
Old 06-12-06, 04:20
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Quote:
Well everyone, I went and did it. I am now the proud new owner of a local Library Card ... and dig this, you're allowed to take out up to 40 items!!!

I browsed for a little while, not very long for today, as it was very tiring, and I was totally reminded how difficult it is to get books off shelves, hold them, prop them open, carry them, put them back, kneel on the floor, get up again, etc etc etc I caught people "watching me then quickly looking away when I looked their way" (I usually try not to see them seeing me ) ... my first visit was more to get a bit familiar with the shelving setup and find where things are kept.

NEXT TIME I plan to be wearing my wrist splints. I forget to today and am paying for that :

There doesn't seem to be a specific military section and the pickings are slim, methinks, but maybe more visits to their catalogue online, and to the library, will prove me wrong.

I did scoop a couple of books,

"Great Emigrations, The Scots to Canada by Douglas Hill", and

"The Ten Lost Years 1929-1939 - Memories of Canadians Who Survived the Depression by Barry Broadfoot"

I quickly skimmed a couple of CD shelves and scooped 3 off the shelf that I haven't heard before:

BRAHMS "STRING QUARTET OP. 51"

JENNIFER WARNES "The HUNTER"

SHIRLEY HORN "I REMEMBER MILES"

I found the reference section and was delighted to see a copy of
Dictionnaire Genealogique des Familles du Quebec by Rene Jette which I'm going to be copying some information from (my French roots)

http://globalgenealogy.com/countries...ces/601001.htm

In case some of you are wondering, nope, I didn't enquire about possibilities of helping out/working there. Not today. I will sometime soon though.

That's the update on my first visit to the Library, getting setup with a card, and using it the first time

Ma Yappy
Yapster: The Jennifer Warnes CD...does it have "Bird on a Wire"?

One of my favourites.
Old 06-12-06, 04:44
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Don't forget inter library loan

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
If the library doesn’t have what you are looking for remember to ask about interlibrary loan. My wife is a librarian in the next town not a large town I think about 3500 pop. However, they service the day lights out of the people. One of the things that they are very willing to do is search other libraries in the state to find books they don’t have. I’ve been really surprised what books she has been able to find that way.

So enjoy, find a comfy chair at the library and become a regular.
Thanks Phil.

Yes! They have Inter-Library loaners here as well. I think that only works for Libraries in BC though. I was hoping the interlibrary loan part worked Province to Province as well, but I think not

I did already ask about getting in things like from the archives in Manitoba. Winnipeg Library has their archives collection, which includes microfiches of old Winnipeg Free Press newspapers, which is what I was after. Librarian told me that no, they don't do that, but then followed up by saying, Well if you ask them and they're willing to send them ..." I'll check into this possibility. I can always email the Winnipeg Library and ask ... which is what I'll do, then

I was never a librarian but I did do time at King Edward College Campus library in Vancouver in about 1985/86 on a work/study program while taking 5 courses there. My youngest was 3 and in the daycare there as well I absolutely loved handling the books and shelving them! And what a way to learn the library and what books they had. I was only there a few months.

There was a totally fascinating woman working there named Aphrodite. Very exotic looking, and the nicest/kindest person you'd ever want to meet.

Bonus ... thanks for that happy little trip down Memory Lane Phil

Karmen
Old 06-12-06, 04:54
Vets Dottir

Default Re: George Blackburn's Books...

Quote:
[B]Ma..
If you don't get any more books ,do get the three books that George Blackburn wrote..The Gun's Triology..
George was a friend of mine and lived around the corner from me here in Ottawa,
He was a great friend of Herb Danter..
He passed away last month.
Thanks for that reminder Alex. I'm very familiar with George Blackburn's trilogy, I just haven't read them yet, but will check to see if my library carries them. They can order them inter-library loan if they don't have them, as long as another library has them. Geoff has that trilogy!

You and Herb are really fortunate to have been able to call George Blackburn "Friend". To know him so closely would really have been something. I did post some photos for Herb in another thread of himself and George Blackburn together. The thread is the one about George Blackburn's passing.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...&threadid=7383

GEOFF ... I swear I'm very familiar with George Blackburn's face. Did I not meet him at one of the local events around Ontario???

Karmen
Old 06-12-06, 04:59
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld

One of my favourites.
I only wish, Jon. I'd hoped it was that tape when I picked it off the shelf and was disappointed. That song is on the album of her doing Leonard Cohen songs. I can't recall the name of the album. I used to have that on tape and miss it very much. I loved most of the songs on it, but especially "Bird on a Wire" , and I want to get it again. This time on CD I guess, but I do look for the tape sometimes.

to you and Betty,

Karmen
Old 06-12-06, 05:00
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I don't believe so, Karmen, otherwise I would have pointed him out. To the best of my knowledge I never met the gentleman personally, and I am the worst for it. If I am mistaken, no doubt one of our august members will point that out to my great chagrin.
Old 06-12-06, 05:02
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I don't believe so, Karmen, otherwise I would have pointed him out. To the best of my knowledge I never met the gentleman personally, and I am the worst for it. If I am mistaken, no doubt one of our august members will point that out to my great chagrin.
Thanks Geoff. This is really bugging me. Maybe I'm dreaming again?

Karmen.
Old 06-12-06, 13:54

Default Re: Re: Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Quote:
I only wish, Jon. I'd hoped it was that tape when I picked it off the shelf and was disappointed. That song is on the album of her doing Leonard Cohen songs. I can't recall the name of the album. I used to have that on tape and miss it very much. I loved most of the songs on it, but especially "Bird on a Wire" , and I want to get it again. This time on CD I guess, but I do look for the tape sometimes.

to you and Betty,

Karmen
Carmenski...

Just for you....

I really like that song,especially the second line..
I started to hum it and thought I could play it so dug out my trusty git ,which I haven't played in years and sure enough ,it came out pretty decent,for me anyway..
I had a little trouble with the A7thSustained 4th,trying to figger out what that sound was,but got it worked out and in and now all I have to do is toughen up my fingers again and I'm away..
and so is the guitar...

Like a bird on the wire,
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
Like a worm on a hook,
Like a knight from some old fashioned book
I have saved all my ribbons for thee.
If i, if I have been unkind,
I hope that you can just let it go by.
If i, if I have been untrue
I hope you know it was never to you.

Like a baby, stillborn,
Like a beast with his horn
I have torn everyone who reached out for me.
But I swear by this song
And by all that I have done wrong
I will make it all up to thee.
I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
He said to me, you must not ask for so much.
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
She cried to me, hey, why not ask for more?

Oh like a bird on the wire,
Like a drunk in a midnight choirhave tried in my way to be free.
Old 06-12-06, 14:47

Default Learned the Library the same way

Hi Karman

"...I was never a librarian but I did do time at King Edward College Campus library in Vancouver in about 1985/86 on a work/study program while taking 5 courses there. My youngest was 3 and in the daycare there as well I absolutely loved handling the books and shelving them! And what a way to learn the library and what books they had. I was only there a few months..."

Same period I had a job working at college library my freshmen year, they had just moved into a new building and I spend several weeks shelving and rearranging books. First time through they just had us take the books out of the boxes and fill the shelves in order, when that was done they discovered that the new building was more than half empty so we had to spread the books out and leave space for the collection to grow. After handling every book in the library two or three times I never had to use the card catalog for the next four years. I just knew where all the books where, they did make me take the freshmen course on how to use the library.

Margaret (wife) said use the library a lot check out lots of books libraries love the circulation figures, particularly at budget time.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 07-12-06, 08:51
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Quote:
Carmenski...

Just for you....

I really like that song,especially the second line..
I started to hum it and thought I could play it so dug out my trusty git ,which I haven't played in years and sure enough ,it came out pretty decent,for me anyway..
I had a little trouble with the A7thSustained 4th,trying to figger out what that sound was,but got it worked out and in and now all I have to do is toughen up my fingers again and I'm away..
and so is the guitar...
Hey, thanks for those lyrics Alex. Good to have them!

I didn't know you played a gitbox. Great stuff!!! I can't play anymore I really miss having a guitar though I never learned to read music or play notes, I knew quite a few chords and "picked" lots. My daughter has the talent perfect pitch and plays by ear. piano most, she was learning some guitar a while back, as well. If she ever pursued music she'd do well just with the talent, but especially having the right connections. I bought her a Roland electric piano when she was about 14 and she still has it.

Here's a photo of her playing piano when she was about 11/12 I think. Thats her friend Lara kneeling at the foot of the piano. Lara can SING! So can my kid They were visiting a seniors home and entertaining them with a visit and a little music

Karmen
Attached Thumbnails
elysia12lara.jpg  
Old 07-12-06, 09:01
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Learned the Library the same way

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Hi Karman

After handling every book in the library two or three times I never had to use the card catalog for the next four years. I just knew where all the books where, they did make me take the freshmen course on how to use the library.

Margaret (wife) said use the library a lot check out lots of books libraries love the circulation figures, particularly at budget time.
I loved handling the books. Tell Margaret thanks for the advice ... libraries are the best and I'd like to support them as I can

The library actually just had a HUGE sale prior to their move a while back and I was totally miserable that I ould only spend a couple of dollars. Oh the BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even look at too many as that would have been torture for me to be so tempted yet unable to take them home with me!

Karmen.
Old 08-02-07, 22:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld

One of my favourites.
Hey Jon ... Guess what? I just checked my library online and they have a copy of "Famous Blue Raincoat" CD of Jennifer Warnes doing the Leonard Cohen tunes, and Leonard Cohen doing some songs. This is the same tape I used to have and play all the time. I put a hold on the CD and it happens to be in the library now, so I can pick it up right away ... YES it's the one with "Bird on a Wire"

It's been a long while since I got to listen to these songs so I'm going to enjoy them!

Yapster