MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 04-09-23, 10:04
MLU Administrator

Default Research resource: GM Heritage Archive

When researching Chevrolet civilian vehicles, make sure to visit the GM Heritage Archive at https://www.gm.com/heritage or go directly to https://www.gm.com/heritage/archive:
Quote:
The GM Heritage Archive includes over eight million photographic images, 250,000 video masters and motion picture films, a million and a half digital media files, and more than one million pieces of microfilm, available to the public upon request. Additionally, the Vehicle Information Kits allows you to search and download documents from over 900 models in the archive.
I have found the Vehicle Information Kits to be very informative, they have been a great resource while determining the configuration of MCP vehicles like the 1533X2 LRDG truck.

#research #achive
Old 07-09-23, 05:23
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
When researching Chevrolet civilian vehicles, make sure to visit the GM Heritage Archive at https://www.gm.com/heritage or go directly to https://www.gm.com/heritage/archive:

I have found the Vehicle Information Kits to be very informative, they have been a great resource while determining the configuration of MCP vehicles like the 1533X2 LRDG truck.

#research #achive
Thanks Hanno

The VIK information is very detailed. Looking at the VIK 1940 truck data, I learnt a few things about the C8.

From my observations: The 1940/41 CMP C8 model features a mixture of standard civilian assemblies i.e. the rear axle assembly and springs are from the 1939/40 3/4 Ton truck, the front axle I beam is from the 1 1/2 Ton truck ( 1 and 1/8" king pins from memory ) , brakes and front springs are standard light commercial but were adapted to the heavier front I beam. The C8 has the four speed gearbox with the torque tube drive system. In the C8, they used a special uni-joint that was normally fitted in the KC civilian light delivery model when coupled to the optional 4 speed gearbox. The 4 speed option would have been fairly rare in the light commercial civilian use, most of them had the 3 speed gearbox. Interesting is: the Aust. army parts book for the 1940 Australian army 15 cwt GS Vans (MCP models) indicates they initially had a 3 speed gearbox, but were later on assembled with the 4 speed crash boxes.

The C8 chassis is shorter overall, they used the 3/4 Ton truck crossmembers and spring hangers. Made sense to use what was already in production and adapt it together for the C8 .

I've not seen a F8 up close. Ford was in such a hurry with the F8 , they shortened a truck chassis , a cut and weld job.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 07-09-23 at 05:52.